Corpis Christy, TX

rynosback

If you prefer to be near the Gulf look for parks in Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, and Rockport/Fulton area. There are many parks down here. For a short stay you might like Mustang Island State Park, limited to 14 day stays. We have been at Gulf Waters RV Resort in Port A for the past seven years and feel it is one of the nicest parks on the island. Pioneer RV Resort on the island is also OK, there have been a few forum members who stay there and a few stay up in the other towns I mentioned, perhaps they will comment. January is the peak of the Winter Texan season so you probably need to be booking reservations now. Good luck and Best Wishes, Jay

If you prefer to be near the Gulf look for parks in Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, and Rockport/Fulton area. There are many parks down here. For a short stay you might like Mustang Island State Park, limited to 14 day stays. We have been at Gulf Waters RV Resort in Port A for the past seven years and feel it is one of the nicest parks on the island. Pioneer RV Resort on the island is also OK, there have been a few forum members who stay there and a few stay up in the other towns I mentioned, perhaps they will comment. January is the peak of the Winter Texan season so you probably need to be booking reservations now. Good luck and Best Wishes, Jay

If you're just looking at parks in Corpus Christi itself then the pickings are thin, but, as Jay says, there a quite a few parks in the surrounding areas. Those on Mustang Island (Port Aransas) are fairly accessible to Corpus Christi (~20 miles); by the time you're out in Rockport, Corpus is quite some distance away. JMO; there are plenty of snowbirds in Rockport. We stay at Pioneer RV park on Mustang Island a couple of miles south of Port Aransas.

I'm staying at Goose Island State Park and its pretty nice now that the weather has cooled off.

It does not state how many amps, 30 or 50 amps. It also looks like there are no sewer hook ups. Do you need to caddy your gray and black or take the rig to a dump station? Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the ideas Jay.

If you're just looking at parks in Corpus Christi itself then the pickings are thin, but, as Jay says, there a quite a few parks in the surrounding areas. Those on Mustang Island (Port Aransas) are fairly accessible to Corpus Christi (~20 miles); by the time you're out in Rockport, Corpus is quite some distance away. JMO; there are plenty of snowbirds in Rockport. We stay at Pioneer RV park on Mustang Island a couple of miles south of Port Aransas.

Looks like a nice place. It might be a little remote. The wife like to be about 10 minutes from a major grocery store. Is flooding an issue on the island?

Rockport is only 30 minutes from Corpus. Much prefer staying there. Love Goose Island, you can choose on the beach or in the thicket area with all the birds - which is great this time of year. Lots of parks in Fulton-Rockport-Aransas-Port Aransas area.

Barb

Any specific CG that you like Barb? I think the wife does not want to stay on the island.

Thanks

Looks like a nice place. It might be a little remote. The wife like to be about 10 minutes from a major grocery store. Is flooding an issue on the island?

There's a small IGA on the island about 5 minutes away and the major grocery is ~20 minutes away on the mainland. As for flooding, there hasn't been anything to worry about and we've withstood lots of rain. However, if the area gets hit by a major hurricane, all bets are off.

We mostly grocery shop in Aransas Pass at the Wal-Mart which is maybe 15 miles away but involves a short ferry ride across the Aransas Channel. We occasionally go to the HEB Plus in Flour Bluff which docj mentioned but DW doesn't like it as much because it is so big and so much walking. We rarely get flooding but do get "coastal flooding" which is when the high tide comes all the way in to the dunes and there is no beach left! Only a problem if you drove the golf cart into town before high tide. Driving on the beach is legal on Mustang Island and golf carts are legal in Port Aransas on roads with 35 mph speed limit but not legal to drive all the way out 361 to either Pioneer where docj is or Gulf Waters where we are. From our park it is a 6 mile ride down the beach to town on the cart. Shopping is plentiful in both Corpus and the Rockport area but in my opinion Corpus has worse traffic so we plan our trips accordingly. Best Wishes, Jay

We have stayed in Port Aransas the last three years. Stayed at Surfside but this year we are at Marina Beach . Golf carts, as Jay stated, can be rented from five or six outfits and can be driven on the beach and city roads. You can cross SH361 but you can not drive on it. You may drive your own cart but you will need to license and register it with the city. You need a separate insurance policy for the cart. Pioneer Beach does not allow rental carts on their property.

Closest HEB is in Aransas Pass and is smaller than the one in Flour Bluff. IGA in Port A is a little high dollar on groceries IMO, but folks who work there are courteous and friendly. There is a What-a-burger, a CVS, five or six decent restaurants IMO, birding, dolphin watching and a lot more. You'll like it

Dave

With out knowing your preferences hard to say. lagoons is nice lots of activites,a little pricey. Happy Camper or the Quiet One are bare bones,but nice. RVParkreviews.com is a good place to look.

c u on the road

Good point on that, I will have to think about what are musts and post them. I also do look at RVparkreviews as well as several other sources.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely consider Mustang Island/North Padre Island which is Padre National seashore. You aren't missing anything in Corpus, even though the beaches are nice. The town is not much more than the military base and Texas A&M Corpus. Might as well just get away from it all and enjoy the peace and quiet of North Padre. :)

I'd definitely consider Mustang Island/North Padre Island which is Padre National seashore. You aren't missing anything in Corpus, even though the beaches are nice. The town is not much more than the military base and Texas A&M Corpus. Might as well just get away from it all and enjoy the peace and quiet of North Padre. :)

Sure, Corpus is a bit rough around the edges, but the downtown shoreline is exceptionally attractive and I'd put it up against quite a few coastal cities. Anyone who thinks that the town is dominated by the military base and the university clearly doesn't understand the importance that oil has here. The city is on a path to becoming a supertanker-capable port to support and grow the refineries here.

Harry, hope y'all are doing well! "Disagree" slightly with your characterization of Corpus as a small city. Was watching the news last night and they were talking to some of the candidates for Nueces County sheriff and it was mentioned that Corpus is slightly larger than Cincinnati. I grew up in the Cincy area and always thought it was a big metropolitan area. What is nice about Corpus is that one can easily get to truly small towns like Port A, Rockport, Aransas Pass and if you stay off of SPID (South Padre Island Drive) a lot of traffic can be avoided.However in defense of your position Corpus is small compared to other Texas cities like Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. All in all this is a very nice area to spend the winter, Best Wishes, Jay

Archived