Things other RVers or campers do that annoy you.

DuneElliot

Just curious, why would you pick up the butts you didn't put there? Yuk, I'm not touching them.

...just in case Jack doesn't reply but I think his answer might be about the same. We volunteer in parks and duties include cleaning up the campsite before the new party arrives. Butts aren't the only disgusting things we've picked up. You'd be surprised what folks leave in the fire pits - dirty diapers, garbage, tin cans, beer bottles, etc. At one national park they allow hunting. Some chose to clean their animals at the campsite and leave guts and whatever behind, even though there was a specific place to do this. Yes, yuk!!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been volunteering for about six years now, and have certainly picked up our share of other peoples garbage, including butts. But even before we retired the first thing we did when arriving at a campsite was pick up any trash that we found there. We didn't want to look at it during the time we camped there, and didn't feel like we were above cleaning the site, even though it wasn't our job. Disposable gloves are your friend in this scenario.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

The last time we were in Quartsite, AZ, the RV park management asked me if I would empty my grey water on the plants near our RV before we left the next day. Stunned me, but I did as they asked. If anyone East of the Mississippi asked me that, I'd think them nuts.

I assume you were in a commercial RV park and not on BLM land. Do NOT dump grey water! Or at least that is what I've always been told. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Just curious, why would you pick up the butts you didn't put there? Yuk, I'm not touching them.

We too have picked up butts as part of a campground host job or other volunteer position, but we have also done so many times in a site we happen to be staying in for many reasons. We have traveled for years with our own trash grabber because I learned as a young Boy scout to always leave a campsite cleaner than we found it. We taught our sons to do that same thing and are proud to say that our grandsons are continuing the tradition.

31+RlD0Lh7L._AA160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This is one I was thinking of this morning. It isn't so much campers, but RVers specifically. This isn't picking on anyone (because of course no one here would do this!).

I've hauled horses for a long time (I even learned how to drive with a stock trailer on the back of the truck) so I know it is often slow-going around sharp turns and up hills or mountains. I pull over if and when I can if I end up with a line of cars behind me. The same applies when I haul my 5er.

What drives me nuts are the RV drivers (or horse-haulers for that matter) who never pull over, even when there are EASY places to do so. I encountered one of these in Yellowstone this summer, who was going REALLY slowly, past plenty of pull outs and had at least 40 cars in a line behind him. I wouldn't have minded so much but there were also NO places to pass easily and safely either. It just felt really inconsiderate, especially with SO MANY cars behind. If there is one road rule in Oregon and Washington that I really like it is that any slower vehicle that has a line of 5 or more cars behind them they MUST pull over into one of the many pull-out spots.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

As others said, if you work in a campground it is your job to make sure sites are clean for the next camper. I try to make the sites as perfect as possible, and that includes no litter. Even if it was my own site that we were going into I'd pick it up - Like Kirk we leave the site as perfect as we can.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Arrogant people followed by grumpy people. It is irritating to be in a public campground where a mix of people from all walks of life are and have these people hold court or look with distain upon others. Needless to say cigarette butts, diapers and loose dogs are irritants but that is part of the public experience and you can pick up or speak to the owners. Attitudes are not so easily dealt with other than to ignore which is unnecessary negative energy floating around and that flavor can last much longer than a lonely barking dog's pleas for company.

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

Phil, the thing about attitudes is I can just walk away and ignore them. Which I do. Some of the other stuff is not as easily dealt with. :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Dune I was always annoyed that people didn't pull over when they could also. It still bothers me and I try to do so when I can but I also have a new appreciation for the concerns re starting and stopping on a grade now that I am pulling a 40 foot fifth wheel.

Like I said I still try to get out of the way but I have also found myself in situations where that does not seem to be a safe option. Also, if I am going the speed limit or 5 over, I am now far less inclined to take the prompting from tailgaters. I am relatively new to pulling sucha large trailer and I don't think it is safe for me to spend to much time focused on those behind me.

Dave and Lana Hasper

This is one I was thinking of this morning. It isn't so much campers, but RVers specifically. This isn't picking on anyone (because of course no one here would do this!).

I've hauled horses for a long time (I even learned how to drive with a stock trailer on the back of the truck) so I know it is often slow-going around sharp turns and up hills or mountains. I pull over if and when I can if I end up with a line of cars behind me. The same applies when I haul my 5er.

What drives me nuts are the RV drivers (or horse-haulers for that matter) who never pull over, even when there are EASY places to do so. I encountered one of these in Yellowstone this summer, who was going REALLY slowly, past plenty of pull outs and had at least 40 cars in a line behind him. I wouldn't have minded so much but there were also NO places to pass easily and safely either. It just felt really inconsiderate, especially with SO MANY cars behind. If there is one road rule in Oregon and Washington that I really like it is that any slower vehicle that has a line of 5 or more cars behind them they MUST pull over into one of the many pull-out spots.

If you were actually in the Yellowstone Park then long lines of cars is not unusual. Slow down and enjoy the scenery. If you were outside the park then that is a different story. A number of states have the 5 car rule. And I've found that most folks will adhere to that rule. Happy Travels. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

. Needless to say cigarette butts, diapers and loose dogs are irritants but that is part of the public experience and you can pick up or speak to the owners. .

A lot of the trash in fire pits happens when the camper leaves. It's like they empty their wastecan or refrigerator into the firepit. Therefore, you can't speak to them. You can only mumble as you're picking it up. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

What drives me nuts are the RV drivers (or horse-haulers for that matter) who never pull over, even when there are EASY places to do so. I encountered one of these in Yellowstone this summer, who was going REALLY slowly, past plenty of pull outs and had at least 40 cars in a line behind him.

Perhaps the driver who was going so slow feared he would not be able to start again if he pulled over and stopped.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

What drives me nuts are the RV drivers (or horse-haulers for that matter) who never pull over, even when there are EASY places to do so.

Good observation! If there's an easy place to pull over and let people pass it is reasonable to do so. It won't change my arrival time more than a few seconds, but it allows people to get on with their lives too.

Personally I really dislike having people behind me. I think that after a while it tempts them to push the limits to get around me, placing me and others in danger.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Good observation! If there's an easy place to pull over and let people pass it is reasonable to do so. It won't change my arrival time more than a few seconds, but it allows people to get on with their lives too.

Personally I really dislike having people behind me. I think that after a while it tempts them to push the limits to get around me, placing me and others in danger.

And I think that's what happens a lot...it certainly did with me. I don't get frustrated when there isn't anywhere to pull over...I get that. I also get how hard it is to get a big rig going again up hill so don't expect it then either (especially with a manual transmission). It's when there are dozens of flat, easy pull-outs and it wouldn't be an inconvenience.

If you were actually in the Yellowstone Park then long lines of cars is not unusual. Slow down and enjoy the scenery. If you were outside the park then that is a different story. A number of states have the 5 car rule. And I've found that most folks will adhere to that rule. Happy Travels. Dennis

Agree, long lines aren't unusual, but this was excessive. The pull-outs were easily accessible and either flat or on a very slight slope.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Mine would be generators. Particularly those that believe if you are out in the sticks that contractor type generators are perfectly fine or running any type of generator at any hour of the day or night is perfectly acceptable.

Mine also would be generators . especially the idiot that started his up at 2:00 in the morning <_<

As a general rule I like dogs. I like dogs that are calm and mind their own business. But I really find it annoying when owners let their little yapping dogs climb on my leg as they smile and say. . . oh she's just being friendly. I understand they love these noisy little creatures, but to me they are nothing more than annoying little flea bags. And it's rude for the owners to allow them to claw on my leg.

Or standing there and letting their dog piss on your belongings which includes tires.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived