Things other RVers or campers do that annoy you.

DuneElliot

As a general rule I like dogs. I like dogs that are calm and mind their own business. But I really find it annoying when owners let their little yapping dogs climb on my leg as they smile and say. . . oh she's just being friendly. I understand they love these noisy little creatures, but to me they are nothing more than annoying little flea bags. And it's rude for the owners to allow them to claw on my leg.

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we are pretty tolerant. On the occasion we encounter irksome behavior we tend to dismiss it. Finding the good and interesting aspects of people is so much more fun than stewing and letting it ruin our day.

Ditto!

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

I can slough off most irritants but if you pull into a site near me and let your diesel truck run until you are done setting up camp I'm pretty sure you will also start it up before you begin breaking camp and both of those will annoy me. And if you invite your friends over to party until the wee hours of the morning I'm going to be pretty grumpy the next day.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

How about people who do their dishes at the water spigot--either one that is shared or at a campsite? It nearly always leaves food scraps around the base of it, which attracts animals, and is why most campgrounds provides large sinks for those who do not have a self-contained unit with sinks. And I see lots of warnings about doing dishes at the water spigot, but it does not deter a lot of people who think that is their personal kitchen.

Worst mess left at my campsite was a pile of spaghetti with tomato sauce that someone had apparently dumped in the grass just where I would have liked to get out of my cab. I moved a few feet and luckily some animal cleaned it up overnight.

Oh, and the two older men who camped in a tent and brought alone three spotlights they left online all night. You know, the kind on tripods that you use for working outdoors at night???

Smokers, in general, annoy me greatly. Because a significant portion of them have an "entitled" attitude about it. Fortunately most places no longer allow smoking, so I don't have to deal with it. But campgrounds do, and there are a lot of butts in some campsites. I've picked up as many as 184 in one tent site. And yes, I counted. I would guess most smokers are reasonable about throwing butts down...but enough are not.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

How about people who do their dishes at the water spigot--either one that is shared or at a campsite? It nearly always leaves food scraps around the base of it, which attracts animals, and is why most campgrounds provides large sinks for those who do not have a self-contained unit with sinks. And I see lots of warnings about doing dishes at the water spigot, but it does not deter a lot of people who think that is their personal kitchen.

You found my hot button. And it seems to become more common every year. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You found my hot button. And it seems to become more common every year. ;)

RE: Dishes at the spigots....this includes, for us, hair washing and teeth brushing. One of our volunteer gigs had us digging down about 18 inches of this garbage, removing the soil and replacing it with new because the water wasn't draining - too much garbage, hair and toothpaste. We did it for every spigot in the campground and there were many.

At another volunteer spot in a national park we were parked next to the bathroom which had an outside sink labeled "for dishwashing". We witnessed a camper emptying his Porta Pot into the sink. A couple week later a guy got naked and proceeded to get into the dishwashing tub for his Saturday night bath! Maintenance was right on it disinfecting it down as they did twice a day anyway but I wouldn't trust washing dishes in it. :(

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

People who come into a campground/RV park after dark, then have to spend extra time setting up because it is too dark to see well.

Unfortunately that happens alot, but people have jobs that wont allow them to enjoy the time off like some of us can have. Or they are not yet retired. They just want to be able to enjoy what time they actually get off and thats part of the game.

2010 25' Dunesport Monsoon TH

2001 Ford Excursion V10

1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jetski

1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4

1989 Kawasaki Bayoy 220 2x4

Smokers, in general, annoy me greatly. Because a significant portion of them have an "entitled" attitude about it. Fortunately most places no longer allow smoking, so I don't have to deal with it. But campgrounds do, and there are a lot of butts in some campsites. I've picked up as many as 184 in one tent site. And yes, I counted. I would guess most smokers are reasonable about throwing butts down...but enough are not.

Many smokers have the "entitled" attitude about lightning up as well as disposing of the butts. Many have engaged in this practice for so long that they don't realize what they are doing. They light up and throw the match on the ground. Then when finished they throw it away wherever they happen to be. And these are people who would otherwise never do anything to harm the environment. Fortunately many people are very courteous about their smoking.

People walking through our campsite is one of the very annoying (and potentially dangerous) things we don't like.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Smokers, in general, annoy me greatly. Because a significant portion of them have an "entitled" attitude about it.t.

Many smokers have the "entitled" attitude about lightning up as well as disposing of the butts. Many have engaged in this practice for so long that they don't realize what they are doing. They light up and throw the match on the ground. Then when finished they throw it away wherever they happen to be.

I recall a thread on this subject some years ago on these forums that got very heated and which even triggered some divisions among contributors. I can't recall how long it has been but I think that most of those who came out most strongly for "smoker's rights" have since faded away and the one (of two) who most took me to task has since posted on these forums that he is now among the reformed smoker group. Both of us are former smokers and at that time we thought that we were considerate in our smoking, but today are not as sure. I do know that I learned in the Navy, where I first smoked, to never leave buts and such behind but field-stripped the butts and kept the filters in my pocket. Since quitting, Pam has developed allergic reaction so smoke of most any kind and so we are happy to see smoking get more and more restricted. I think that it is less problem today and continues to be so, yet there are still a few diehard individuals. It does bother us to see young people starting the habit as we have not forgotten the difficulty of stopping after more than 20 years. (We both quit in 1987)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What I hate is campers who sneak over in the dark of night to let the air out of my tires, or throw raw eggs on my rig, or steal my bicycle which was parked outside. Yeah, those can really ruin the moment for me.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Actually I can't remember the last time we got annoyed (by RV'ers). Yes I can!! The only thing I can remember getting upset about was about 3 years ago a weekender poured some grease out around the BBQ on my dog ate a rock, got real sick and it cost us about $500 to get him through it. It would have been more he hadn't crapped it out in around 3 days. I'll think about it some more maybe I can resurrect some memories. Try to remember the good and forget the bad!!

I hate it when people tell me to turn down my loud music. I am not charging them for the entertainment. LOL LOL LOL Just kidding. What this all goes to is Respect. Respect for the environment, and others enjoying the outdoors. Garbage, human waste, noise (music and cell phone), personal space are all abuses that should not have to tolerated. Like respect these should be taught from an early age.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Three things:

Lighting a big roaring, smoky bonfire when it's obvious to any sensible person that there just isn't enough room between rigs, even if there IS a fire ring. I put equal blame on the park ownership for this. If they insist on squeezing in rigs like sardines in a can, get rid of the fire rings. When there's enough room between rigs, well then have at it!

Pulling in at 1 a.m. and deciding that you MUST completely set up at that time. I'm not just talking putting out the slides, hooking up the electricity and water, but repeatedly opening and slamming the doors, opening and slamming the storage hatches, loudly unhooking your tow vehicle or toad and shouting instructions to each other, while your dog is barking and waking up every other dog in the park. Just pull in, do the bare minimum you must do to get by and finish in the morning.

Not picking up after your dog. No excuses.

Several years ago a neighboring camper told a park ranger that I hadn't cleaned up after my dog and showed him the pile in front of his site. The ranger chuckled and told him it wasn't from my dog, but if he saw the racoon that left it, he would reprimand him. The neighbor apologized to me later when he told me about it, and we had a good laugh over it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

My pet peeve is generators. We boondock most of the time and like most people I hate it when someone decides to park next to us and then turns on a noisy generator and leaves it on for hours, especially overnight. If its a quiet honda thats one thing but the typical 5kw unit drives me nuts

I was just reading some comments from some people in another place who thought since grey water was just soapy water, it was OK to dump it in a campsite. Big yuck!! So far I have not noticed the remains of anyone doing this, but it amazes me that people think it is OK to just drain water anywhere.

Many years ago my family and I were camped next to a young couple who insisted on playing their cassette tapes constantly and loud. I took the opportunity when they both went to the bath house (and leaving the music playing) to sneak over to their site and not only turn the music off but reversed the batteries so it would not play. It worked for several hours until they made a trip to the camp store for new batteries. I still feel guilty for such an underhanded prank (and the perfectly good batteries that were wrongfully disposed of), but we had peace and quiet for a while.

I was just reading some comments from some people in another place who thought since grey water was just soapy water, it was OK to dump it in a campsite. Big yuck!! So far I have not noticed the remains of anyone doing this, but it amazes me that people think it is OK to just drain water anywhere.

The last time we were in Quartsite, AZ, the RV park management asked me if I would empty my grey water on the plants near our RV before we left the next day. Stunned me, but I did as they asked. If anyone East of the Mississippi asked me that, I'd think them nuts.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just curious, why would you pick up the butts you didn't put there? Yuk, I'm not touching them.

Archived