Repairs services in FL. not listed in the resource guide

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

We are setup in Clewiston, FL for the next 2 months and I was wondering if anyone had any work done in this part of the state and the service provider is not listed in the resource guide? The big girl apparently has an air leak in the fuel system and is bleeding down so it starts hard. The longer it sets the harder it is. I had diagnostics done in CO. and he told me he could not pull a vacuum on the fuel system. I replaced about 10 gaskets on the banjo fittings and a couple of O-rings but still no help. I really don't want to go to a dealer if I don't have to. I fear injectors. Any suggestions guys.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I went through a similar issue over the past two years on my Mack. I tightened/re-sealed everything, looked for leaks, and replaced the check valve in the inlet side of the Davco filter. In the end, it was the o-ring on the cap of the Davco. Duh..............

So, after all that, my issue was it would start, and then die. Your's is hard to start, leading me to think you might have an internally weeping pressure relief or return valve.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I also had the same issue a few years back. On the Volvo D12 my fault was a bad check valve located on the LH side of the eng just below valve cover mid eng. another time it was the main fuel filter housing. Not Davco.

They are not high $ items and can be changed quickly

Not that you want to throw parts at it. But if you suspect that??

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Sometimes this is caused by worn fuel cups under the injectors, if it goes on to long fuel ends up in the coolant, parts aren't to bad but lots of labour and it needs to be done at a Volvo dealer.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

I have used Total Trucks in West Palm Beach for a lot of work. Go in and see them Mike is the service writer, tell him Rod sent you. . It's about an hour and a half east of Clewiston on SR 80. Take the Jog road exit and go North (turn left). Turn left again on Wallis Rd.

Between Tall Pines Rd and 65th Ter N

(561) 684-3332

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV0pcvWBWM40AF6JXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--/RV=2/RE=1449209308/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.totaltruckparts.net/RK=0/RS=9CBUTpotGqPxkdu9fr3NyEEHvJg-

Don't know if the links will work but the address and phone are above. Send me a PM is you want more info.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Brad,

Had the same symptoms, harder and harder to start. I could use the manual priming pump to get fuel pressure built up to start, but the engine would run just a little rough. One day while priming I noticed fuel coming out around the priming pump, replaced entire pump module and, knock on wood, has solved the problem to date.

Brad

Brad,

Had the same symptoms, harder and harder to start. I could use the manual priming pump to get fuel pressure built up to start, but the engine would run just a little rough. One day while priming I noticed fuel coming out around the priming pump, replaced entire pump module and, knock on wood, has solved the problem to date.

Brad

Had that same find shortly after getting my truck. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue.

. Started the truck every 10 days for one season and never had a problem. The next year I went back to only starting when I needed to. Prime it about 30 pumps, start it. Will run for about 30 seconds and die. Re-prime another 30 or so pumps and start it again. 99%of the time it will continue to run and I will have no problems until I let it set for over 2 weeks. Most mechanics I have spoke with say it's not worth the time to try and find until it gets to be a daily occurrence. Let me know if you do find a fix though. Guess I have had my truck going on 6 years now

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

All good stuff guys thanks. Now I have a couple of questions. First, it has been doing this awhile. I have changed the filter in the Davco and put in a new O-ring on top and it is still happening so I doubt that one Rickeieio.

1) Where is the check valve on the Davco and what does it look like?

2) Billr you mentioned the main fuel filter housing. Was it showing a leak and needed to be reset or something replaced?

3) I have no manual priming lever that I know about. I have a button on the dash but have found no write up on it yet. I have heard that you press it and wait about 4 minutes. However, when I press it the light does not stay on so I think it has to be held. I can't hear anything running when I do that.

4) IROD it is nice to have a name to call thanks for recommending Mike. I may have to do that eventually. Right now I'm still getting settled in and have a roof leak in the bedroom slide to track down first.

I forgot to mention that I think the coolant level is dropping ever so slightly on occasion.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Brad

On my Volvo motor the prime pump is on top and part of the primary fuel filter on LH side of eng.

My starting got so bad that even pumping the primer barely started is. Hard to keep running. Wouldn't start again without priming

Changed the filter housing with primer and was good to go. Seemed a logical step. I remember getting some advise from a good friend.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

post-17796-0-62901900-1449257261_thumb.jpgAfter I located my bedroom leak I went to look at the truck and I found this. It is on the left side of the engine and could be the check valve we talked about earlier. What I'm seeing is the rotted clamp on the line to the right. I would guess I could suck a little air here. I also found three more that looked like this under the truck.

Now I guess my question would be:

Can I put any type of clamp on here to stop an air leak or do I need to be replacing fuel lines?

From what I could see from under the truck and some speculation on my part is as follows.

1) There is a line from the tank to a connection under the truck.

2) This connection hooks into the line that is shown on the right side of the picture.

3) The line on the left side of the picture goes to the Davco on the front right side.

4) The line from the other side of the Davco then goes back to connections under the truck. I assume (there I go again) this is a return line.

There are at least 3 - 4 connections that have ends that look shaky. I'm really going to hate changing these line if I don't have to.

What do you think guys??

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Brad,

Don't have a pic but the Davco check valve is lower right where fuel intake line comes into Davco housing.. Simple ball spring setup. Apparently spring weakens over time of ball deforms (made of plastic). Have a schematic somewhere. If I find will post.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived