40 Meter mobile Ant. Survey

jsymmes

Can you share the Pros and Cons of simple non-motorized RV mounted antennas for 40 Meters? I was thinking about using a rotatable dipole made out of two Hamstiks.

Joe

KD4QN

Joe & Jewel Symmes

2013 Arctic Fox 25W

2007 Silverado CC

Amateur Radio since 1975

I have a Hustler 6-BTV on a tilt-over mount with a strap connected to a boat winch on the rear bumper. While in motion the antenna lays along the top edge of the rig. When we stop I raise the antenna vertical simply by cranking the winch. I prefer this to any mobile antenna and is much easier to setup than the full sized dipole I used previously. While your Hamstick dipole will certainly work, my concerns include how efficient is it and the very narrow 2:1 bandwidth.

73 es Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I use a pair of hamstiks on both 40 and 80 meters. I tune them in the middle of where I usually operate and use an automatic tuner to let me move around a little. They are somewhat directional but that helps in some cases. I plan to add 20 and 10 meters when I can find them at a Hamfest.

I installed a Flagpole Buddy on my ladder and use several of the surplus fiberglass mast sections. I can have the hamstik dipole and a 146/440 vertical up in less than 5 minutes.

Pat, WA3UOE

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

Thanks for the comments so far, I am sure there will be other thoughts on this subject. I am going to a small local hamfest this Saturday and will seek some more suggestions.

Joe & Jewel Symmes

2013 Arctic Fox 25W

2007 Silverado CC

Amateur Radio since 1975

Archived