Has anyone tried the Karma Go?

For those interested in KARMA: For now it appears as if, KARMA is settling in on limiting speeds in the 1-2mps down range. More specifically, speed tests have consistently been right at 1.2. Still works O.K. Tested a live stream of PBR Live Sunday night (iPad) and it streamed just fine with no buffering or breakup.

Unless they slow it down much more, I will be keeping KARMA. Even though I have used just 6.2gb (3weeks), there is something appealing about having no concern as to data limits.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine keeps slowing down. My month ended the 10th and I used 15.56GB

Today's test .58 Down :( Yesterday around 1.2 Down

4990424803.png

Same Tower on my iPhone unlimited data 2.07 Down 1.16 Up

I sent them a email about the slower then 2-3 on their web site now. Below the answer. Looks like they would rather have everyone quit & cancel.

Not happening with me yet as I have 2 more months paid for. I will see where their speeds end up at. I can go to Exede at my winter spot with no problem.

Our engineers are working hard to find the right balance of always accessible worry-free internet, at a fair price, so you'll likely see speeds change between 1.5Mbps to 5Mbps over the next few days while we try to fine-tune that balance.

We will have a solution as quickly as possible so that everyone can choose what works best for you.

In the meantime, if you’d like to Switch to Refuel (no speeds restrictions) you can do so from our apps OR return your device for a full refund including the data here.

Best,

Juliet Shen
Customer Experience

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Just received this email from Karma....

Last week we announced that we were testing lower speeds to find a way to reduce strain on Neverstop. At the same time we asked for your input to improve it and have spent the last week analyzing your feedback.

What Happened

We made a mistake. We modeled Neverstop usage to be much higher than usage on Refuel. But we never anticipated that some customers would use over 1,000GB a month.

Some of you asked why we don't kick off the bad guys. Frankly, we don't think there are any bad guys. We offered an all-you-can-surf option, and people took us up on it. That's on us.

But usage this high is not something that will work today.

The other thing made clear in your feedback is that speed is important. Slowing it down was not a good solution, which is understandable.

What’s Next

Getting online with Neverstop should be simple and work well for most use cases. Here's the update:

• 5Mbps up and down speeds are coming back
  • Get 15GB of data per month. After this, you’ll still be online but with speeds good enough for emailing and messaging
  • Earn a $1 credit for each unused GB

Beginning today at 10am ET, everyone on Neverstop will get a fresh start at 0GB. Based on current usage, this change will have little to no impact for most of you, while still reducing strain on Neverstop. But, if you’re looking to binge watch Netflix 24/7, this probably isn’t the product for you. If that’s the case, head to our returns page and we’ll take it from there.

Our mission is providing you frictionless internet connectivity. Now it's our job to continue iterating to make it happen. There’s a lot to be done.

George

Speeds are back up. Just ran a test with 4.8 down and 5.9 up.

I applaud KARMA for admitting that they made a mistake. Their solution will work well for me. Actually will make the monthly cost cheaper than $50 for me because I average 10 GB/month.

Speeds are back up. Just ran a test with 4.8 down and 5.9 up.

I applaud KARMA for admitting that they made a mistake. Their solution will work well for me. Actually will make the monthly cost cheaper than $50 for me because I average 10 GB/month.

We just wrote a blog about this policy change that we would've wrote two days ago had we known better. We did not see the announcement about the 15GB/month limit, and we were so, so close to buying the Karma Neverstop. I still think it's a good deal, and I'm intrigued to meet someone who is happy about the change. But overall, it's no longer the worry-free product we really desired—and we're pretty sure there isn't another worry-free option out there.

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

A grandfathered Verizon Unlimited plan really is the only viable choice if you want truly unlimited data.

How can that be a choice if it isn't available anymore to new customers? :rolleyes:

My Karma speeds now.

5016517132.png

I used 15.56GB last month. And may go over the 15GB this month. Even then will be able to get email and web pages at a very sloww pace.

But the $50 month now is $3.33 a GB.

Or you can buy by the GB

1GB for $14

5GB for $59

10GB for $99

What would be your choice?

369070033.jpg

"How can that be a choice if it isn't available anymore to new customers?"

You can still assume someone else's unlimited Verizon plan - http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/navigating-verizon-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans/.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I would like to know the actual speed that Karma gives you after you use your 15 GB. All they say on their website is "After 15GB, you'll continue to have internet access, but with speeds good enough for basic tasks such as email and messaging." but that doesn't tell you much. Is it so bad you can't even use the web? Would Karma be viable for web if you blocked all graphics?

How can that be a choice if it isn't available anymore to new customers? :rolleyes:

"How can that be a choice if it isn't available anymore to new customers?"

You can still assume someone else's unlimited Verizon plan - http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/navigating-verizon-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans/.

^ This .... I see several new reports each week of people buying or renting them.

I would like to know the actual speed that Karma gives you after you use your 15 GB. All they say on their website is "After 15GB, you'll continue to have internet access, but with speeds good enough for basic tasks such as email and messaging." but that doesn't tell you much. Is it so bad you can't even use the web? Would Karma be viable for web if you blocked all graphics?

Reports I've seen (supposedly from Karma's Twitter account) is 64 to 128 kbps.

The Sky is Falling The Sky is Falling The Sky is Falling The Sky is Falling :D NOT!!

Yet to be seen at the locations I use it. So far Karma is working as expected.

It is a NO contract service. If it doesn't work for you. Then switch to something else.

NO penalty for quitting Karma. Other then the Hot Spot original cost.

I did buy a Straightalk Verizon service last summer that also didn't have data service in a area that Sprint didn't work either.

369070033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Karma did it again. They went from their $50 unlimited to only 15GB on Jan. 18th and today Feb. 18th announced they dropped Neverstop completely. :(

Now offer 5GB for $40, 10GB $75 or 20GB $140

That is now making Exede at my winter spot look like a better option.

Goodbye Neverstop

Today we're pulling Neverstop off the shelves. Current customers will keep their service until the end of their billing cycle, but we aren’t accepting any more signups or renewals. Instead, we’re offering a new service: it’s called Pulse.

369070033.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had Exede installed at my winter spot. Working great so far.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5188771098

Karma did give me 2.1GB that never expires to use after my Neverstop expired.

Wii save and use when traveling and have no campground free wifi

369070033.jpg

We take our business on the road for several months at a time and we're very Internet dependent. We looked at adding Karma as a second alternative, but knew this wouldn't last long at the early price points offered. Our Verizon hotspot with a $120 20gig data plan has worked well ..... so far. We use a booster and outside marine antenna when the signal is weak with good results.

The fear we have is going somewhere with no cell service. I have friends with fixed installations of Hughes and Excede with reasonable throughput. We've looked at mobile solutions but the equipment investment is $6000 plus install or more. That's far more than we can bear and avoid places with poor or no cell service that we'd love to visit. Am I missing something on the cost of a new mobile satelitte set up or is this only for those with unlimited budgets?

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

A used F1 Mobil DataStorm system are cheap now. It uses the Hughes.net.

Download speeds up to 1.5Mbps

If you happen to be in SE Florida. I would sell you a F1 Datastorm dish, D3 controller and 2 7000S modems.

For a low price of $500 and you pick up and help remove from my MH.

All was working when shut off when I got the Karma.

369070033.jpg

Oops! Wrong topic.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As for my other post, I bought an Nexus 5X for $199 with a Project Fi plan. If I say I will use 3G a month, the phone costs me $50 ($20 for phone, $30 for internet) a month. If I use less, it credits me back at $10 a G. If I use more, I get charged $10 a G. Flat rate, no hidden fees, no charges.

The 5X uses T-Mobile or Sprint, whichever is faster. Plus, it also looks for and attaches to open WiFi networks. Yo an be on a call on T-Mobile, move somewhere during the call, switch to Sprint, keep moving and switch to WiFi and you never notice. Works like a charm, at least, so far. And the 5X can also be used as a hotspot, same fees, same data charges.

It is a please to look at the monthly bill: no fees, no charges, no upgrades, just $20 for phone, plus $30 for data plan, less $22.75 for unused data. So simple! And support is super fast, friendly, and effective. Google knows how to run a business.

My experience so far...

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

That is $100/10 gig of data. I use about 35-40 gig a month on Verizon and pay $150 for that. It would cost me MORE and I would have a lesser network. But for smaller data usage, such as yours, this plan can work well. OR if you do not have a double data plan like I do.....

I may try switching Danielle's phone to Fi when it is time to replace (soon). That way I get access to TMobile data - although at a fairly high cost. But when Verizon is not working I don't really care if it costs a little more - as long as it works. At least I don't get charged for something I don't use. And they allow the phone to be a hotspot - which makes the entire thing viable, in my mind.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

:unsure: Maybe no one really cares but I use Cricket w/AT&T coverages. I pay $60.00 for 10gbs + $10.00 for the hotspot activation on my phone per month. Also can buy 1gb for $10.00 if needed. I don't do much streaming or watching movies, this works for me. :D

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived