Cascadia DD16 Engine Surging Badly

brunsje

Folks,

I really need your help!

My 2013 Freightliner Cascadia with DD16 is surging badly enough to cause Eaton 13 Speed Supershift Ultra Plus faults and limiting me to 5th Gear.

This occurs whether the engine is cold or fully warmed up.

The only way I can get down the road is to place the transmission in Manual Control; Then quickly shift the gears up past 6th gear.

Yesterday after I got moving again I was in the Florida Keys. I kept the truck running until I got home to Jacksonville, FL, about 540 mile drive.

The engine and transmission operated normally with no dashboard warning lights or alarms after I finally cleared the Eaton transmission alarms.

My initial thoughts were bad fuel filters, but it pulls up hills at full power great.

I contacted the hotlines at Eaton, DD, and Freightliner but they were of no help. Just said to get it to the local dealer, which I will attempt in a few days.

Do you guys have any items I can checkout before I go to a local dealer?

I am an amateur mechanic and do not have any code scanning ability.

Thanks, JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Nothing for sure but I'd check the turbo path from inlet through the intercoolers into the engine. Throttle position sensor would be my next target. Hope you get that sorted with something simple. Good grounding always a suspect as well.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Unfortunately with the level of sophistication and complexity of post 2009 class 8 drivetrains, especially with automated manuals, you have no choice but to hook it up to the appropriate program and start with a diagnosis there. Anything else is pure guesswork and in the long term very expensive changing parts that may nothing to do with the issue.

That is why the industry is clearly divided into 2 camps these days. Those that are a slave to this sort of thing and those that refuse to (me)

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Unfortunately with the level of sophistication and complexity of post 2009 class 8 drivetrains, especially with automated manuals, you have no choice but to hook it up to the appropriate program and start with a diagnosis there. Anything else is pure guesswork and in the long term very expensive changing parts that may nothing to do with the issue.

That is why the industry is clearly divided into 2 camps these days. Those that are a slave to this sort of thing and those that refuse to (me)

X 2 Jeff

It's sorta odd that..... if..... or..... when the Auto-Tranny gets "heart-burn" the next desired function is.........to shift the tranny in manual-mode in order to not have to have the truck towed.....

It would seem to be a nice option to have a Plug-in-clutch-peddle.......and a plug-in-manual-shift-stick.......so that you could move around until it is handy to have the desired shop perform the needed auto-system-repairs.........

It's interesting how many shops these days are converting Auto-Tranny-Trucks back to manual-tranny configuration (Cost seems to hover around $3K for the conversion)........

Seems that if the disconnect-battery-task does work you likely had a transient "glitch" if not maybe various sensors are getting the old-sensor syndrome..........Jeff is likely correct that throwing parts at the problem can get $$$ and may not fix the problem..........Sometimes a few $$ spent with the tranny-geeks is the best solution in to end.......

Good luck.

Drive on...........(Some gears are better than.......no gears)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Truck maintenance completed.

1. Surging fault isolated to bad speed sensor on the Eaton 13 speed UltraShift Plus. They also updated the software. Repaired under warranty.

2. They removed, cleaned, and applied corrosion treatment to the battery terminals and grounds based on what I have read in this forum.

3. Did annual service. I always replace the fuel filters every year.

Ready to go!

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

JohnnyB;

I have to ask, are you signed up to Access Freightliner? You should have got the bulletin for this if you were?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived