Solar Panel Question

Carol K

Check out my website for a bunch of info on solar and DIY installation and design. Link in my signature.

To answer your question: in general, no difference due to the frame, but to be sure you would have to look at the specific panels and their specs.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

FWIW (nothing actually) I likewise am not familiar with differences based solely on the color of edge framing??? But of course match your panels (especially if in parallel) with similar characteristics such as nominal voltage, peak voltage, wattage, mono or poly crystalline, type and brand which I'm sure is intuitive and you would do anyway and consider series or parallel or series/parallel combinations to suit your needs and your solar charge controller ability along with shading problems. From experience and help I obtained here, I learned the importance of a good quality (preferably a so called "Smart" 3 or 4 stage, I prefer MPPT) Solar Charge Controller is as important as the panels I chose. (Thanks Stanley and Jack and Kirk and Yarome and others)

I AGREE READ JACKS WEBSITE FIRST then ask him and the other knowledgeable solar gents here any questions, my background is more along the lines of AC Power Distribution then Solar but I try to help if I can.

Happy Thanksgiving,

John T

Thanks Jack, funny I was on your site reviewing your latest panels on your 2015 model when I came up with my question. Super site, and I would love to buy my panels now, but realize that without knowing what RV I would eventually buy it may not be wise.

Thanks for such a great site.

Carol K

Would not one possible difference be slightly lower heat of the grey vs the black? Does not heat impact solar output? (Probably very minor in the overall scheme of things.).

Please notice the "?" mark, and the word possible:)!

Carol - Jack's site is great!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty good point. I also wondered if it made a difference the way they fitted into connectors, if certain connectors were only good with certain panels? Could be over thinking it all to lol.

Carol K

The connectors these days are usually MC4 on almost all the panels. There are some variations, but 90%+ will be MC4.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Carol I read as much as I could on solar systems including everything Solar Jack had available. I was trying to find the weak links in a solar system. Most name brand modern panels are very similar as to their specs and quality. The brand of solar controller is very important. The placement of the panels is very important and the gauge of the wiring you use can make or break you. I used 3 160w panels - brand name. Tristar controller. 8g solar cable on the roof into a closet, parallel. Then 2g from the closet to the controller to the batteries. All fused according to Jack.

It works, theoretical is 27 amps and I have seen that. My voltage drop to the batteries is measured in 0.0N Volts. The price difference in wire from 2g to 6g is not all that different. What this means is I don't have to find the perfect spot to park. Clouds don't ruin my day. I can camp in forested areas, which is what I do. To sum it up be conservative in your choices.

2014 Thor ACE 27.1

Big Bear Lake, CA

"Altitude is Everything"

Good Morning, brand new member, no RV yet but doing research.

Just wanted to say, welcome to the Escapee forums, since nobody had done so as yet. Jack is pretty much the resident expert on solar and while I have many years of RV experience, we don't do dry camping so I am just an observer so I'll leave the subject to others. :) But we are all happy that you have joined us and do hope that you become a regular contributor.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived