Microsoft reverses course, restores downloads of Windows 10 November Update

RV_

Wow! I thought MS had really screwed the pooch with their sudden halt to the Threshold 2 upgrade to Windows 10. Their answers (or non-answers) last Saturday left me thinking that they were bricking the computers worldwide. Then I wondered why my upgrades all went so well. I did some fast checking and all my systems were or seemed to be fine. None of it made sense.

Today Microsoft explained, and it makes perfect sense. It is all about our privacy! And all is well again.

When the upgrade occurs it is supposed to leave all our settings, especially the privacy related ones, exactly as we set them on our systems. Apparently they goofed and the upgrade reset four privacy related switches back to default to call. Since they sell worldwide, they are under scrutiny in places like the EU that do not routinely allow governments or corporations to spy on their citizens like our government here does.

Microsoft has it all ironed out and for folks who are concerned that did get the download all is well and you can download a patch that will set your computer to the privacy settings.

For those interested in which settings, or want to reset theirs that did the update, or download the toll which is available again, go to the article.

Excerpt:

"Last weekend, Microsoft suddenly pulled its online tool for downloading the latest Windows 10 installation files. Today, the company explained the seemingly minor bug responsible for the decision, and has now made the tool available again.

After abruptly pulling the Windows 10 November Update from its download servers last weekend, Microsoft today reversed course. In the process, the company also explained the reason for the sudden decision.

Here's the new official statement:

Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today."

The rest of the details are in the article here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-reverses-course-restores-downloads-of-windows-10-november-update/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived