What is your Ride-Height?

NoDirectionHome

I have a Montana BigSky (see my signature). My trailer is about 37 feet long and runs about 13 feet 4 inches in height at the bedroom A/C. We boondock some, but not a lot.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Not sure just what you are asking, how tall or how much ground clearance?

Our height was 12' 6" with the suspension aired up, dumping hitch and trailer suspension bags got us down to 12' 2".

Ground clearance is a lot trickier subject as it depends not only on the static ground clearance but on the location of the hitch on the truck and the fiver's axle locations. We had our hitch mounted a couple feet behind the axle and our fiver had the wheels (triple axle) mounted well behind the center of the fiver. That almost eliminated the rear end dragging, I can't recall it hitting anything. However we had to pay careful attention to dragging the landing legs when going over humps like railroad tracks with short steep approaches.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I can't help a lot there but you might want to also shop for rigs with a larger axle spacing so you could go up a bit by switching to taller tires.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Don't buy one like ours!

We are the odd balls with a 5th wheel cargo trailer that has living quarters in it. It is a Vintage Brand and at 44' long and only 12" on clearance at the side walls, less at the door steps, drain pipes, front jacks and rear drag wheels, we drag bottom all the time in any kind of drips or uneven ground. Low trailer and long overhangs do not work good off road. We have skid bars under the drain pipes and door steps that were added by the previous owner. They were dirt bike racers and took the trailer off road.

We have been on our rear casters with all 3 axles off the ground going into one campground on our way to New Orleans. They had gravel near the highway with the highway higher than the bottom of their driveway and changed to asphalt going up and cresting a hill. We left two long marks in their gravel driveway on the way in and then more marks when our skid bars by our drain pipes dragged at the top of the hill. Heading back out was about the same. We ruined a set of rear casters that day from the gravel. Replaced the 3" casters with 5" rollers which have been great but of course we use them more since they hang down lower.

Previous owners caught the front center jack and bent it back. After using it like that for a couple of years we noticed at the ECR rally that the trailer was swaying back and forth after unhitching and found the jack was causing it. We then straightened the jack out and added reinforcement on the frame to keep it up right. So far know more issues.

We do have some adjustment with the air ride hitch but it does not help a lot and has to be manually adjusted.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived