Newbie Hitch Height Question

jpar19

Hi All,

I have been lurking around the forum soaking up as much knowledge as I can. I recently purchased a 2010 vnl 630 with a D13 and I-shift. The truck is still a tandem and for the time being I am NOT going to single it. I have used the resource guide and multiple posts to determine that the OPTIMUM hitch height is 45-47 inches. I have also paged through everyone's pictures of their beds and I noticed that some trucks have the hitch recessed between the frame rails and just as many are mounted on top of the rails. My question is: if the hitch height is so critical to be in that range, how are the hitches mounted on top the rails working? That would put the height at 50 plus wouldn't it? Looks like my choices are to remove the taillight panel and extend the plate out the back or bolt to a top plate across the rails. I should mention that I haven't purchased my fifth wheel yet. I assume that the hitch box would be adjustable enough to end up level? Thanks for help. I know this has been asked before and to be clear, I have read everything in the resource guide.

Unless you have a Teton with standard suspension it likely be in that area discussed. My Teton is low and hitch will be too. We around 41". That was why I had to loose my stock bed on my LDT. This is why measuring is important.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You may be able to raise the 5er plate to 50" and keep it level....and then again you may not be able to. It depends on the 5er. The best advise is to mount your truck hitch plate to be at 47" unless you have a specific circumstance that dictates otherwise. You can vary that a little, but whne you get into larger variations you start to have "issues".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

"Standard HDT frame rail height is 40", "standard" 5th wheel height is 47. Air suspension and air hitches are the variables to some extent. The hitch would be installed at the proper height for YOUR coach.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

"Standard HDT frame rail height is 40", "standard" 5th wheel height is 47. Air suspension and air hitches are the variables to some extent. The hitch would be installed at the proper height for YOUR coach.

Commercial (non) air hitches are only approximately 7 inches high therefore things work just fine on top of commercial truck frame at 40 inches from the ground. RV air hitches range from 10 to 15 inches high to accommodate the air bags in their designs. So typically they have to be mounted below the tops of the rails to end up at the 47 inches high from the ground.

Archived