Inter-active map

rickeieio

I've had this idea rolling around in my head for some time. Let's see if anyone else would join in:

Suppose we had a map similar to the HHRV campground guide, where each member got a "pin" the they could move as they travel. Drag it to your c/g or home base. Then as we roam around the country, we could see who's near bye and stop in for lunch, coffee, ice cream etc. This could be something which could be limited to members, or open to all.

Second, is the idea of a similar map, which when you clicked on someone's "pin", it would list services they would be willing to provide, such as hook-ups, tour guide, help wrenching, whatever.

And of course this could all tie together with the Road Food thing we had going a while back.

The hardest part of all this would be finding someone with the skills to set it up.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I think Escapees recently started something like this.

http://www.rvillage.com/home

That was not started by Escapees....but that is kinda the idea. In fact, we could use THAT and simply create an HDT Group. That way you could see everyone that wanted to participate.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I would participate if it was protected somehow. The ability to turn on or off or have a friends list of who could know the exact locations. Sort of a Geocaching of HDT's maybe.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You can hide your location Rod. And you don't HAVE to put it in....

Also, the group can be private. And you can set up a group so members have to be approved...

It is not perfect but it is probably 90% of what we would want.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

The RVillage site already has an HDT group. It may serve to simply join that group or a different HDT group can be formed if it were necessary to distinguish one from another.

http://www.rvillage.com/home

http://www.rvillage.com/group/381/hdt-owners-enthusiasts

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

2014 Honda CRV AWD (ready to flat tow but driven separately by my DW!

Class of 2016 Full-Timers

You can hide your location Rod. And you don't HAVE to put it in....

Also, the group can be private. And you can set up a group so members have to be approved...

It is not perfect but it is probably 90% of what we would want.

Thanks Jack, Not really hiding from anyone but don't want anyone in the world to know where I am parked all the time. Haven't looked at the RVillage yet.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

My original post was sparked by the idea that we could find others of our fold as we travel, making it possible to get recommendations, or just visit, as we pass through an area. We hope to meander to New Mexico via Texas this winter, and it would be nice to put faces to the signatures. Also to see if a certain park can accommodate us.

That said, hiding your location makes this pointless. Why participate only to hide? Having a means to make your location more vague might offer the same protection, but still give folks an idea of whether you might be near.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Skip created that group and it is public. Meaning anyone - even those without HDTs can join it. And it does not require approval to join. I joined...I did not even know it existed! I do mark my location as we travel. In some cases, like now, I just mark it generically. We are at my brother-in-laws so it is of no real interest EXACTLY were we are, so I just put in Lynchburg - the closest big town. I like the idea and I suggest that those interested try out RVillage.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Soooooo, I went to the link posted above, jumped through the hoops, and found.......................I was the 10th person to register under Heavy Haulers, and the only one on the map.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Soooooo, I went to the link posted above, jumped through the hoops, and found.......................I was the 10th person to register under Heavy Haulers, and the only one on the map.

I joined too. I was one of only 2 on the map....until I scrolled down and found the button to select 25,50,100, 250 miles or all members. Once I selected "All" I can see lots of folks.

And I did like Jack suggested and selected the city where I am, not an exact address. That is generic enough to stay hidden but close enough to let someone know I am in the area.

EDIT: The one thing I have found that I do not like, is that there is no way to insure that the people marking their location on the HDT map are really HDT'ers. One of the points on the map is actually a KOA RV park, that decided his location needed to be listed on the HDT map as an RV'er.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes, I kinda wish Skip would restrict it.....but it is his group and he can handle it as he chooses.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived