Muffler for generator

rdickinson

Jack, that's quite loud by health definitions over long term if accurate. I doubt is is though. 75-76 dB is referenced as a home vacuum cleaner or dishwasher. Certainly not something I'd want to listen to for hours. I suspect you are below 70 dB if you can comfortably converse.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Like I said...I doubt it is accurate, but it does give relative numbers. One assumes that its scale is accurate even though skewed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like I said...I doubt it is accurate, but it does give relative numbers. One assumes that its scale is accurate even though skewed.[/quote

I'm sure you could use that number as a base line. But I agree the actual number seems way High.

I just put new window weatherstripping in my peterbilt and that quieted down my truck quite a bit. But my Volvo at work is still far quieter than my Peterbilt ever was I can't believe it whatever get anywhere close to 70 dB .

I used to have a neighbor who calibrated and sold the hearing testing machines.

We are talking one day after I found out I had lost most of the hearing in my left ear and struggled quite a bit with my right ear after 30+ years of driving trucks . I always thought it was the noise of the truck and the twins stacks that caused my hearing issues .

He said in fact with the testing they've done they found driving with your window down and air blowing past the window was louder and caused more damage than anything else.

That gave me an idea, I'll go to Costco to the acoustic department. They make DB blockers an ear plug or ear gear we call them, for construction and Millwork shops. I'll ask them if the various apps I can download are accurate.

They may think I have issues or I'm off my rocker.

Unfortunately the generator is a heck of a lot quieter now so am not able to do a test as it was before all this effort began.

This week should do it. Like everything else the devil is in the details.

Now I can camp at Wally World and have power. This is slick.

Roger do you have space to snake a vertical exhaust pipe up to top of sleep level but not attached to the body of the truck? We use one of those vent turi deals on the 5th wheel - don't like the exhaust gas hanging around under the bedroom on those calm damp evenings...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

That is an option on the table. There is one for sale in the accessories forum. We could attach it to the existing truck exhaust maybe. We will try some zig zags and a resonator under the truck b/w the frame rails.

The cab/sleeper is only used for storage, I don't even use the fridge.

Possibly do both if back pressure is not a problem.

Thanks for the thought, it's been passed on to Chris.

R

Roger, do you still have the regular exhaust, or is yours a weed burner? If it is the vertical exhaust I would at least consider tying into it after you knocked the high frequencies back with a small muffler.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

No, I know about BP, that is why we are enlarging the diameter of the tailpipe after the first muffler also the second muffler or resonator will need to be bigger as well.

I may just go out and buy one in order to get something reliable. I'm interested in what these various tweaks do.

What I'm referring to is the exhaust coming out of the big stack pushing the exhaust back down the small one. I would have thought the opposite, something like a foam inductor in firefighting.

Thinking about this some more, the generator is only going to be used when the truck is stationary, so that shouldn't be a factor, should it.

Off with a note to Chris.

It should work OK Roger as you won't be running both at the same time. Once you knock most of the noise down with a small muffler or two you should be able to route it up the truck exhaust.

Only thing to maybe be concerned about is blowback if the cam in the generator has enough overlap to allow the inlet and exhaust valves to be open at the same time. Easy to address that concern with a ball valve in the generator exhaust where it enters the truck exhaust.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

You're right about the noise but we have dealt with that. Multiple layers and big airflow.

We can clearly hear the exhaust above the generator noise.

Fine tuning things now.

We've been able to get a 3 stage muffler, this will go on south of the existing. I'm told it is similar to an Onan muffler so direction is being reversed to point to front of truck and me may redirect vertical, parallel with truck stack.

Need to get a pipe bender.

Db's down to 65 >67 at 0 ft on an app we downloaded. 56db's at 25 ft. Will go to an engineering outfit Monday for an official test.

A 20db drop isn't bad, were in Onan territory.

You gonna post photos of your creation?

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived