which 17.5 tire?

house

I am running 22.5" Sailun tires as drives on my work Mack. It only gets about 2k miles/year, so they'll be running long after I'm gone. They were highly recommended by the supplier.

For our camper, I wanted a name brand tire that I can find an exact match anywhere we might travel. For units staying close to home, price commands a higher rung on the decision ladder.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For our camper, I wanted a name brand tire that I can find an exact match anywhere we might travel. For units staying close to home, price commands a higher rung on the decision ladder.

That issue, and the speed rating are definitely concerns....is the speed rating 75mph?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That issue, and the speed rating are definitely concerns....is the speed rating 75mph?

In our case, I went with truck tires in the 235/85x16E, Firestone Transforce. Weighing 4k/axle gives us a big safety factor, something to which I'm unaccustomed.

It was hard leaving the 17.5 G/Y set on the old unit. Those things set us back about $3k just 3 years ago. But it would have required a lot of work, and considerable expense, to do the switch. With a 2k# safety reserve per axle (x3), I'm comfortable that we'll be fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Changed 16's to 17.5's before rig even left dealer, Sumitomo ST727 215/75r17.5 all position, 16ply H rated 4805#, 75mph rated, 10k+ miles and love them, Alcoa classic rims. Check them out.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Have the sailun tires and love them. Very affordable

x2

Trailer tire and wheel where many have purchased their 17.5 wheels has them. Received the next day after ordering completely mounted balanced and inflated.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I have Goodyear G114. Five years and no problems. Second choice would be Michelins.

Same Here G114 10k miles doing real good after ditchin the 16 inch tires on Nuwa 16k pounds two ax......and new MorRyde from factory in Ekhart In

97 9200 cornbinder super 10 M11E cummins 1350 ftlbs
81 CJ7 jeep
2000 36ft nuwa king dome onan 6500LP gen/remote start
94 sport Nautique
2007 dyna wide glide 6 speed
N7UVW
2007 30ft work&play-LK-- toy hauler by forest river

2006 Alfa toyhouse 40 ft

2010 42kz Escalade toyhauler

I bought my Sailuns from Trailer Tire and Wheel as well. They spoke very highly of them and said they sell a lot of them with no complaints from customers. So far I have been very happy with them and $265 per tire is a lot better than $425 per tire for the Goodyear G114 for the exact same speed and weight ratings.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I consider a set of tires successful when I age them out at 6 years like I have with G114s.. One year of use doesn't mean much to me

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 3 months later...

To add to this, I just purchased 6, Sailun S8244381 235/75R17.5 tires for my Cyclone. I am upgrading to 17.5" wheels at the same time. These tires are a little less than an inch taller (by sidewall measurements) than the OEM tires. I have read countless reviews on the Sailun tires and feel confident that the price savings and quality of the tire makes this sound investment. We'll see.

Wheels are Hi-Spec Series 07 (4,850 lb ea.).

hwtseries07-8bolt-black.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

5 years ago I put 17.5 Dyna Trax on our trailer. Yes they are China made, but came recommended by a friend who hauls heavy equipment.

I put approximately 35,271 miles on them at a cost of .024 cents per mile. Including a trip to Alaska.

Hypothetically if I would of gone with Bridgestone tires and ran them 6 years at the same annual mileage numbers I would of spent .037 cents per mile.

And 7 years it would of been reduced to .032 cents per mile.

If I continue to have good luck with them I think I prefer new tires every 5 years, and less worry. I hope I don't jinx myself.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

To add to this, I just purchased 6, Sailun S8244381 235/75R17.5 tires for my Cyclone. I am upgrading to 17.5" wheels at the same time. These tires are a little less than an inch taller (by sidewall measurements) than the OEM tires. I have read countless reviews on the Sailun tires and feel confident that the price savings and quality of the tire makes this sound investment. We'll see.

Wheels are Hi-Spec Series 07 (4,850 lb ea.).

hwtseries07-8bolt-black.jpg

Running the same thing and very happy.

Just air them down. I think I'm now have them at 85 or 90 psi will have to check.

Running the same thing and very happy.

Just air them down. I think I'm now have them at 85 or 90 psi will have to check.

Good to know. Thanks. It did seem strange that the Sailun site mentioned 125psi.

If they are like the Good Year 17.5" H rated tires their max air pressure is 125 psi. Based on our weight plus a safety margin I run ours at 105 to 110 psi. This also reduces the sidewall flex and heat build up. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

bmzero, What kind of makes are on your 5er? Have you noticed any braking difference with these tires but i guess the question should be do you think there might be a difference in the braking? Will they be on there for the ECR? Don"t forget the treats for Ratchet! Pat

The Old Sailor

I'm running the same Sailun's and a similar Hi-spec wheel (only 2 axles though). I gross out at about 16000 lbs with the 5er. I run my pressure at 100psi and have been very happy so far.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

When we switched from 614s to 17.5s, we stayed with Goodyear specifically for one reason. While we expected no more problem with tire manufacturing, we knew that Goodyear stands behind their product if there should be a tire flaw. That is something we have never seen anybody state about then other brands including Michelin.

We switch to 17.5 when we had a G614 tread separation. Goodyear picked up the entire $6K repair bill but also made a really great trade-in on the other 5 tires.

Price isn't everything.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We run the 114s based on weight and I always go one press up on charts so for ours it's 105.

Weigh each wheel to get what you need.

Enjoy the good rubber on the road!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

bmzero, What kind of makes are on your 5er? Have you noticed any braking difference with these tires but i guess the question should be do you think there might be a difference in the braking? Will they be on there for the ECR? Don"t forget the treats for Ratchet! Pat

The Old Sailor

Right now, the Cyclone has the OEM electric brakes on it. I use a Direc Link controller in the truck. It works well stopping the truck/trailer, but the braking on the trailer isn't as tightly coupled to the truck as I would like. I will explore other braking systems at some point, but that is nowhere near the top of the list. I don't expect any difference in braking for these tires. The extra height of the tire (.9") shouldn't have that much of an impact in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, they should be on the trailer at the rally. They are in transit now.

I'm running the same Sailun's and a similar Hi-spec wheel (only 2 axles though). I gross out at about 16000 lbs with the 5er. I run my pressure at 100psi and have been very happy so far.

That's the same per-axle weight I have on the Cyclone. I was planning on 100-105 psi. Thanks for the confirmation.

i recently went with the Sailun 215 75 17.5. The 215 is a smaller tire than the 235 85 16's that they replaced. I had read that the 215 was the direct replacement for the 235 85 16 but charts I looked at, after the fact, show the 235 75 17.5 Sailun to be closer in diameter to the 235 85 16 than the 215. Simple tire had the best price i could find and they arrived in Florida from Indiana in 1 day,,,,amazing. The max load goes from 4805 to 6000 lbs at 125 psi when you go to the larger tire...both load range H. Wheel weight rating is the limiting factor if you go with the 235's. Simple tire also gave me a 5% veterans discount. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

i recently went with the Sailun 215 75 17.5. The 215 is a smaller tire than the 235 85 16's that they replaced. I had read that the 215 was the direct replacement for the 235 85 16 but charts I looked at, after the fact, show the 235 75 17.5 Sailun to be closer in diameter to the 235 85 16 than the 215. Simple tire had the best price i could find and they arrived in Florida from Indiana in 1 day,,,,amazing. The max load goes from 4805 to 6000 lbs at 125 psi when you go to the larger tire...both load range H. Wheel weight rating is the limiting factor if you go with the 235's. Simple tire also gave me a 5% veterans discount. Charlie

I saw the prices from Simple Tire and honestly just thought it was a scam. I read some reviews and it seemed very hit or miss. I'm glad to hear that worked out well for you. Had I seen your post about Simple Tire before ordering my tires, I would have probably ordered from them. I would have saved hundreds.

http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-75r17.5-8244381-tires

X2. Same tires and wheels and similar weights and PSI. No problems.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Archived