which 17.5 tire?

house

I am going to purchase 2-3 new 17.5 inch tires before I got to Denver in January, and i was wondering which tire people like best, Currently I have one hankook, one continental one Michelin xps and one china geolander.

I think the geolander, which matches the spare is pretty close to aged out, the hankook is getting pretty close, I am leaning towards the Michelin, but it is also the most expensive tire. I have been replacing them as they had issues which is why I have such an assortment but I would really like to get them all closer in brand. My trailer is pretty heavy, so I really want a quality tire but money does not grow on trees.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Goodyear G114. Five years and no problems. Second choice would be Michelins.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My first 17.5 inch tires were Michelins. It hurt when I got rid of them with 95% tread but with sun cracked side walls.

With my low millage, I'm now running Chinese tires on the trailer and Brigstones on the Pete.

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

I have Goodyears (G114) on my Carri-Lite and have been very happy with them. They have a 75 MPH speed rating. I believe (as shown here: http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/17.5-radial-tires) the Michelin's only have a 62 MPH speed rating. Might want to verify the speed ratings and buy appropriately.

Jeff and Cindy Harvey

2007 Intl 4400 DT570

2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1

The speed rating is important. So I use the Goodyear and have had no issue with them, other than a flat caused by a faulty TPMS sensor. Personally I would not buy a tire that did not have at least a 70mph speed rating.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I started with Michlens (XTA) but have replaced 2 of them with Yokohamas. The tires were replaced due to cuts in the sidewalls due to broken curb hits.

The Yokohamas were alomst $100.00 less expensive and have given me good service.

Another plus for the Yokahamas is they MIGHT be made in the USA as Yokohama has a truck tire plant in Mississippi.

My$0.02 worth

ShortyO

I have been running the Goodyear G114's for 2 years with no problems.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Another vote for Goodyear G114 tires. We are on our second set in 7 years and 40K+ miles with zero problems. I wanted a US made tire and the GYs have a 75 mph speed rating compared to the Michelins 62 mph. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We aged our G114s out at 6 years. No indication of need to change but we play safe.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I dont think they make the goodyear in a 235/75R17.5, has anyone ever used the cooper roadmaster? I think they are made in the US

Well, I'm too lazy to actually look it up, but I believe the 17.5 comes in 215/75x17.5, which has a nearly identical rolling diameter as the 235/85x16.

I got new tires on our trailer yesterday, and saw a stack of Sailun 17.5 tires in that size.

We now have a tri-axle with 6k axles, and the scales showed that we're way within the load tolerance for load range E, so I opted for a new set of those. Bumping up to L/R G or 17.5/H would have meant new wheels as well.

We got good service from the G/Y 114 tires on our old trailer. I would go with them again if we needed the capacity.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Make sure that you have room for a tire that big if you find one, Nick. The 215/75R17.5 is within 0.1" of being exactly the same diameter as the LT235/85R16 tires commonly used on trailers, and on which the axle spacing is typically based, which is why that size is the "common" 17.5" tire upgrade, while your proposed tires will reduce your current spacing by 15 mm.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I also run the sailun tires. They have been excellent for me. I researched them before I bought them and found they are popular in the commercial market with a good track record. They have equivalent ratings to the goodyears at a less expensive price.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Sailun apparently meets ISO standards and is TS16949 accredited which speaks to a quality manufacture. Price is about $135 per tire.

Much less than $400+ for Michelins or Goodyears. Worth watching for future performance comments. Guess you pay your money and take your chances.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

the 215/75R17.5 is rated for 4800 while the 235/75R17.5 is rated for 6000 I am a hair over 20,000 on a set of tandems so I think that would make me nervous. The trailer has always had 235/75R17.5 From what I understand it is has STI air suspension. I ordered the Yokohama at 306.54 each plus FET, at least 3 of them they should be here next week. The major factor as some brought up was the 75 mph speed rating.

The Sailun sounds interesting......if anyone sees negative stuff on them could you please post it? That may be a very good target tire for my next replacement. I like the Goodyear's, but there is nothing "magic" about them. I'd replace them with a "quality" tire.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The Sailun sounds interesting......if anyone sees negative stuff on them could you please post it? That may be a very good target tire for my next replacement. I like the Goodyear's, but there is nothing "magic" about them. I'd replace them with a "quality" tire.

Jack,

This was posted on another forum where there was an extensive discussion.

"Sailun is the ONLY Chinese made tire that I'm aware of that has met ISO standards and is TS16949 accredited. It speaks VOLUMES on the quality control processes set in place to manufacture this tire, along with manufacturing processes.

I don't like chinese made tires, no quality control processes in place, BUT Sailun tires DO have quality control processes in place and DO make a quality product.

When it comes time to replace my GY G614's, I WILL look at the Sailun G rated tires, and ONE reason will be because they ARE cheaper...got to love competition..you would think GY would drop their prices to compete, but evidently they're not worried about Sailun...only thing is, those that know manufacturing standards, eventually will see that the Sailun tire is a Quality built tire, or they would not have gained the TS16949 accreditation. IF they lose that accreditation, then I will remove them from my very short list on quality made G rated tires available for my 5th wheel, or if I start reading negative reports here on these forums. So far I haven't seen a negative report on these tires that are being reported on by our members on this and other forums....not the first negative yet....That CAN speak volumes on these tires...And again, I'm talking the only tire I'm really interested in...a G rated tire, though this company, with Quality processes in place, should be able to manufacture all their tires in a Quality manner at this point."

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

If you decide To go the sailun route. I can dig up the receipt for the ones I just purchased. They were shipped to me from the Midwest in a very timely manner straight to the RV dealer I was working with on putting new axles on my trailer.

The salesman on the phone was extremely helpful with me making a decision on what tire and wheel combination to go with and very willing to work with me on getting them shipped in a hurry to my RV dealer .

I have the Michelin 17.5's with the 62mph speed rating and they are coming up on the five year mark with 50,000 km's (30,000 miles) on the tires. I was concerned with the speed rating but had talked to a Michelin engineer which was very interesting to say the least. I took the words of advice and with proper inflation have never had an issue with these tires and travel faster than the rating about 95 % of the time. I am not saying this is for everyone but no issues for me and would buy them again when they are aged out.

Archived