Windows 10 upgrade woes include deleted apps, system hangs

RV_

Joel,

SFC is how I always first check to see if the system has any corrupt files if it is running and booting OK, just having failures like I had once in Outlook. It just needed to be uninstalled, reinstalled.

I have been using it since Windows 98SE. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_File_Checker ) I waited to upgrade from Win 95. Then I skipped ME ( Millennium Edition) and went straight to XP. I almost skipped Vista but had a micro computer by Acer that had it and it wasn't half bad, just slower than XP in many ways, especially Windows updates.

Windows 10 makes it very easy to change a computer's name compared to previous versions too, among many other things I am discovering. I will be eventually upgrading this big Dell system, and next week will have ordered and within two weeks have my new Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, or if they make me an offer I can't refuse, a Surface Pro 4. Once I have a Win 10 tablet odds are I will be willing to undertake the risks in doing my big SSD/HD giant tablet on a stand.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

SFC is how I always first check to see if the system has any corrupt files if it is running and booting OK, just having failures like I had once in Outlook. It just needed to be uninstalled, reinstalled.

I have been using it since Windows 98SE. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_File_Checker )

That's one I simply never encountered before. There's always something new to learn.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel,

"No one knows all of MS Word" is one I liked because it's true. The teams at MS that developed, and develop it, work/ed on segments, parts not the whole.

I like the tips and tricks articles by Ed Bott over on ZD net because he does a great job on finding the stuff we need and pointing to the new things that are great in language we can understand. I ran in circles trying to rename computers in the early days tight up to 7!

In 10 you just go control panel/system then to the right of Computer name click on change settings, and a dialog box pops up for system properties it opens to "Computer Name" tab and options including to change the name or rename the computer. Very nicely done in 10. Just remember that changing the name could cause you having to rejoin networks or access to other local hardware. I have two laptops named User and the other User1 so I could play with 10 and SSDs with them and sell them with no personal data or passwords when I am done with them except for my router. I don't worry about that as no one can get close enough to not be observed, we are 300 feet set back from the road. I usually get double what I have in computers I refurbed as I don't look for them they drop in my lap free occasionally when someone is not willing to try to go beyond a factory restore. I get to play too for free and buy another with upgrade expenses in hand. I only refurb ones I would like that look and perform perfectly. I just clean/tweak RAM up and SSD them. I am torn because I like them when I get done as I built them for me regardless. But I do not need any laptop computers, even the micro desktop Voyo is excess and going to be sold. I just had never messed with these hybrid tablet boards in cases smaller than a USB DVD external drive. Like the Pi computer with Linux, I played, learned it, then decided it was redundant. I wasn't into IoT or automation as I can buy better than I can build. Same with the dual boot micro. It is not needed as a desktop, and on our soon to be new 4k smart TV it's redundant in the extreme.

I've picked up from you too you know.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for getting me to look at the Control Panel/Systems screen. While I was there I clicked on System Protection and noticed that the Restore function had been turned off; maybe that's probably a Windows 10 default. I always like having a restore point to come back to in an emergency so I activated it and created my first Windows 10 restore point.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

YW! I didn't notice now I have to go boot her tablet, desktop, and my test bed laptop again tomorrow. This one is 8.1

Good feedback to remind us to go through all the settings again. And learn the new ones.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived