Warning on Lippert axles

svtoujours

We just had a brake/tire/drum fail and finally got a tow to Camping world in Gilroy CA. It took almost 2 days to find out the axle was warped. Now being told may take 3 weeks or more to get a new axle, we are full timers. This is a Lippert axle on a 2008 Northwood Artic Fox fifth wheel, 29.5 E. Googled Lippert, many many problems. We had the axles and tires checked in July. We are currently dealing with Orlandi trailer parts in San Jose, they seem to know what they are doing. Can't obviously stay in the trailer without a pump out, boy if you have any ideas, please let us know, or any more info on the axle. Many thanks, Bonnie and Tom

Replace the original suspension system with MOR/ryde Independent Suspension located in Elkhart, IN.

That's my suggestion for a long term solution. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Back in 2012 I know there had been an ongoing problem with the axles on lippert frames not being "properly aligned". I don't know if that was due to a warped axle, but at the time, my impression was that it was just a placement issue. One axle on my rig was replaced and a full set of new tires included.

Grand Design has had multiple problems with Lippert components this year. Lippert put the wrong axles on the chassis for several models (5,200# rather than 6,000#) and had to put a recall out through the Feds. Various models with Lippert axles have also had issues with either the wrong grease or bad seals on the spindles causing grease (or separated oil) to contaminate the brakes. If I could afford it, I would convert to MORryde and electric over hydraulic disc brakes...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Another vote to replace Lippert with Mor/Ryde IS suspension. Call Mor/Ryde and see if they have any authorized shops in your area.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On my new Keystone Fuzion I had a bent axle did not catch on pre-purchase inspection. Look like it had been curbed actually right rear axle toed out about an inch. Ruined new tire is 200 mile trip home. Never could get any help and replaced the axle on my own. Reminds me need get larger wheels and tires from 16 to 17.5 and have alignment checked again.

This had auto adjusting brake shoes as well and that new to me. I about 2000 miles one set if brake shoes wore paper thin. Other 3 ok but I changed all 4 backing plates, shoes bearing and turned the drums with non-self adjusting those I know about and more comfortable with.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Wow, thanks to all of your quick responses, am very impressed. Tom took a pic of the axle at 10, and around 11:30 or so, had a response that Orlandi had it in stock, go figure!! Before we left the CW parking lot, confirmed that we had an apt. on Thurs. to fix it.,so, get the part, back at CW by 3, say the tech that can fix it will be available in 2 weeks, called RV repair places that showed up on our Allstays app, got 2 responses that could be fixed this week. RV restore could not do it until Fri, finally settled on Bay Area RV, will start tomorrow. Again, thank you, there is much for us to learn and most of it is here!! Thanks again, Bonnie and Tom

If you're just going to do a swap out which is what I would do, I'd look into replacing the axle with a similar Dexter unit. The Mor-ryde is a major engineering change that you frame may not be up to.

BTW, I have no idea what you mean by a "warped" axle.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

How can the frame not be up to the engineering change. They weld a sub frame on the the existing far,e and mount the independent suspension to that. Where is your evidence to back up what you say.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Somewhere I read that Lippert said they would deny warranty if a frame was modified by using any one elses suspension. probably mostly lawyer words to protect Lippert in case here is a problem. But as noted, Mor/Ryde adds a subframe to the existing frame which if nothing else will help to reinforce the LIppert under-designed frame.

I have the IS on my trailer and it works great. I would not have another trailer without the Mor/Ryde IS.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

(the guy can get to it in 2 weeks) this burns me up when a dealer will not try to help someone that is a full timer,they will put them off so they can work on rv's that are brought in by weekend or vacation users and left until they are repaired as they usually will not be used for months.they seem to think that you can just go and get a motel room somewhere and wait on them.I had this happen with a dealer that I had been with for over 35 years so I let the owner that they had just lost a customer for life and found another dealer.

Somewhere I read that Lippert said they would deny warranty if a frame was modified by using any one elses suspension. probably mostly lawyer words to protect Lippert in case here is a problem. But as noted, Mor/Ryde adds a subframe to the existing frame which if nothing else will help to reinforce the LIppert under-designed frame.

I have the IS on my trailer and it works great. I would not have another trailer without the Mor/Ryde IS.

Ken

DRV trailers are made with a Lippert frame spec'd by DRV that has MorRyde suspension from the factory. I don't think they can make that claim about their own suspension only if it is standard option with some companies...

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The lip pert warranty is only 1 year anyway. It will take you longer than that to realize you have junk for axles and springs. Have you ever watched how much side to side movement a conventional suspension has. There is a lot of play in the shackles, the spring eyes and the springs themselves.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Just a quick update, got the wheel/axle fixed yesterday, very impressed with the technicians, they delivered as promised, and around $200 cheaper than CW. Oy, yet another problem, got to RV park in Gilroy by 4, after hooking up, noticed that batteries not charging, and they were down from our week of camping in the CW parking lot. So, got ahold of Bay Area RV, took it back in, thinking the battery charger was shot. Turns out that prior owner or maybe the dealer had taped the mounting block for the fuses to the wall. They were able to fix it in 2 hours, and replaced 3 fuses in battery charger controller (sorry, I don't understand all of this!!). All is well, heading to S. Cal tomorrow. Will post reviews, hopefully to help others in the same situation. Again, many thanks, Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived