steering stabilizer

heavyduty

Has anyone had to use a sterring stabilizer on a volvo. Have wabble between 50 and 60 mph. Have new michelin tires front and rear. Have centramat Balencer from and rear. Checked tie rod ends and all sterring component seem to be tight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I would take the truck to a front end shop and get them to go thru it.

How many miles on it?

Has anything ever been replaced on the front end?

There can be enough wear in the components that a wobble or vibration sets up at certain tire RPM.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Check the kingpins. Mine where rebuilt and made a world of difference.!!!!!

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

HEAVYDUTY

Here is a cheap suggestion, 7 yrs ago I had a similar issue with my front end. My front end guy said before I due anything switch sides with your steers, left to right an right to left. Run them that way for a hundred miles or so and see if it changes anything. If not then we will look into the front end components. I did and it solved the problem. I put another 15,000 miles before I put new tires on, not that I had to. There was no unusual tread wear but age dictated time for new steer tires. Front end guy said that was a common problem that was often remedied by the switch around.

I have had this truck 8 yrs now and have over time rebuilt the front end including King Pins. JMHO.

HAPPY TRAILS

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

If that does not do it check them for out of round.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I had front end "features" on ours that took me a bit of time to fix. But when it was fixed, it was really fixed, not just better. I had the hop at 55 - 65 as well. Before I bought it, they checked tires (that were new), new shocks, check kingpins, check spring bushings, check bearings. They told me it was fixed. Flew out to drive it home.....they lied.

Took it anyway as this problem can't be that hard to fix. It wasn't, the left front tire was 0.060" out of round. So, that .060" of excitation at the frequency achieved at 60 mph, caused the front end to resonate and hop, shaking the hood and everything. The tire was actually on the rim correctly based on the mold line that goes around the tire near the rim interface, so I had to mock up a tire truing machine. I strapped my router to and X-Y table and with a 3/8" wide bit, trued the tire in the shop....lots of black mess all over me but really went very well.

The hop was fixed but it allowed me to notice the next feature, tracking ruts and grooves in the road, always having to tend the steering wheel to keep it on the road. Ok, checked all the normal stuff that moves in the steering system, including the steering box lash adjustment.....nothing. I welded up mounts to put two Rancho steering stabilizers on it .....no difference.

Checked the toe in...., it was toed in about 3/16". This was the most difficult thing to fix as the tie rod was set in place with Wisconsin lock tight. 3' pipe wrench wouldn't touch it. 3' pipe wrench with a bottle jack on the end....no go. Only a soaking with 50% ATF and 50% acetone allowed me to make the adjustment. I wanted to avoid putting a torch to it as it may change the metallurgy of my steering parts.

After this saga, it's fixed. :)

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Also check to see if hub is centered and tires centered on hub studs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Good point SuiteSuccess, I think I have seen these shim tools that slip over three studs while installing the wheel. Gets things centered up if the hub alignment feature or the wheel is a bit worn.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Jacked up front of truck today and put bar under front tire and pryed up to check for movement. Driver side had none passenger side has aprx 1/4 inch straight up and down on the kingpin. Not really any movement in and out. When they aligned it a few weeks ago they didn't mention any problems. I do not know how munch play in kingpins is to munch. Just trying to get to bottom of my sterring problem.

Archived