What would it take ...

Just curious ... what would it take to go through 33 gigs of data in 2 days ?

That seems like a huge amount of usage . My wife and I on line all day for a month rarely used over 10 gigs . We did not stream anything but some YouTube and maybe a few short videos .

Goes around , comes around .

Do you have a WiFi attached? If so, is it open to the world? Did you forget to change the factory default password (if there was one)? Is it configured for the more secure WPA or WPA2 security protocols rather than WEP?

Thirty-three gigabytes is a lot of data. Did any of your computers perform an automatic software upgrade?

Charles

Do you have a WiFi attached? If so, is it open to the world? Did you forget to change the factory default password (if there was one)? Is it configured for the more secure WPA or WPA2 security protocols rather than WEP?

Thirty-three gigabytes is a lot of data. Did any of your computers perform an automatic software upgrade?

Our jetpack is secure . WAP2 with an alphanumeric password and set to short range .

I happened to be present while the park tech was searching a problem and he mentioned the fact that someone went through 33 gigs in 2 days .

I'm trying to imagine exactly what they could be doing to eat that much data .

When I used Millenicom, I used approx. 5-7g I took the deal with Verizon when Millenicom went under and now use 12+g every month! Same usage, same habits. I think that Verizon has found a new way to measure the usage. 33g in 2 hours - would that even be possible with one computer? Maybe someone had a 'burn up bandwidth' party with a bunch of friends?

possible that someone could use of that much data, if they were downloading video, ect thru something like napster, ya just click on 10 or so an let r go.

but like you said didn't stream anything, sounds like something is wrong.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Some people use internet for their television programming. One could easily use 33 gb in a couple of days just watching a moderate amount of television on Netflix or HBO Go at HD quality. I mentioned Game of Thrones because I watched a couple of episodes online on my laptop to catch up. They were right at 3 gb each and less than 1 1/2 hours each.

On Howardforums there are people there who use Verizon for their only internet and use over 200 gb per month, a couple who bragged about more than 1 tb.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Some people use internet for their television programming. One could easily use 33 gb in a couple of days just watching a moderate amount of television on Netflix or HBO Go at HD quality.

That would be my guess also. When we were in SD as campground hosts, we and our summer intern shared the parks internet connection and if Pam watched TV and the intern a movie at the same time, they would use that much in a couple of days.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Maybe I'm too old hat , but if I can't get OTA TV , I find something else to do . I only watch a few hours of TV a week , so no loss if it doesn't happen and , usually , that something else is more productive anyway . ;)

I don't know about anyone else , but 5 - 6 gigs a month and I'm just about as bored as I care to get . I know some folks have no choice , due to physical or mental constraints .

Thanks for your responses . :)

And some are now able to stream in 4K, which can consume even higher data... Lots of variables, and who knows what they were doing. Maybe running a business with large amounts of data being consumed...

33G sounds like a lot, and it is. But many power users can consume great amounts of data. Heck, even online gaming can chew up some data petty quick:)!

I suspect 10 years out, we'll consider 33G in two days, to be very small usage...

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Big users of bandwidth are video, software downloads and cloud services. Video has been addressed. Software downloads, especially system upgrades, can be huge and are often not error checked well. That means if the 2GB download fails in the middle, it restarts from the start, over and over. Cloud services can get turned on easily, an update might add one or put it on by default. Suddenly all your photos and videos are getting backed up to "The Cloud". and maybe to multiple clouds. Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Dropbox, etc., have cloud services and some can be quite aggressive about backing up everything.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Watching TV is more common than you think. I monitor the usage types at the campground in the summer. When I had an "open" network quite a few people were watching TV kfor hours at a time. That really uses up bandwidth.

A Cloud sync on music would eat it up too.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Another possibility is an error on the part of the ISP. We had very slow DSL at the farm. Usage was between 1 and 2 GB per month. Went to Wild Blue satellite. They immediately began to complain that we were using too much bandwidth. "12 GB in just the last 2 days!" Phones not using WiFi, no neighbors near enough to use the secured network. So we turned off the router and computer - the only thing connected to their dish was their modem. The modem's only connection was an Ethernet cable to an unpowered router. They then insisted that we had used 2GB in just the last 2 hours. All requests that they come out and check their equipment, because we had nothing turned on, were met with complete denial. Eventually we had to give up the satellite connection and go back to DSL, which is slow but gets the job done.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

You said, "Park Tech". So it was at the park but not necessarily you. Also, the actual amount could really be much less than they think. Until the official billing, much is just an estimate.

Correct . It wasn't me . The tech guy showed a screen of the usage of each user . He said something about it being the latest improvement and that what he sees is very close to what gets billed .

Archived