Water pressure (?)

woman_who_sees

Ever since we bought our motorhome in 2004, we've had problems off and on with low water pressure. We

didn't think about it much; figured it was just the park we were staying at at the time. We've been

staying at Rainbow's End for over a year now and the pressure is worse than ever - only in the kitchen

(it's fine in the bathroom). Awhile ago we took our rig in to the local RV repair shop for some repairs.

We were going to be there all day so they hooked us up to water and electricity. They had to run some

water in the kitchen and noticed how "wimpy" our water pressure was. We told them that it had always been aproblem but they couldn't find anything wrong. Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Bill (DH), Jan (DW), Sunshine (DBird), and Gila and Tacobelle (DCats)

2004 Winnebago Sightseer

"Folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" (after a cup of coffee)

Since the problem is only in the kitchen, that eliminates several possible causes. Is it safe to assume that you have already removed the aerator on the end of the faucet to make sure that there isn't debris captured in it that cuts the water flow?

31Fbke9kGUL._AC_UL115_.jpg

These devices are threaded into the faucet mouth and have several parts inside that often do become plugged up with foreign materials.

If that doesn't work, try first hot and then cold to see if the problem is the same with both sources. If it is the same from either side I would then try removing the faucet to see what may be inside.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Can you unscrew your faucet/screen on the faucet. We have a Moen spray faucet in the kitchen and the screen gets clogged with mineral deposits very quickly. I just unscrew, rinse out the screen, and we are good to go for a period of time. Do you have a sediment filter on the incoming water? If not, you should get one because lots of parks have hard water from wells.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If it is a Moen faucet ...some of their faucets in that time frame had a problem with a deteriorating component. When I took mine apart I found tiny particles of blue rubber or silicone, not only in the screens but also plugging some of the tubing. Moen replaced my faucet, and I have had no problems with the replacement that cleaning the outlet screen doesn't cure.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Remove the faucet aerator and soak it in white vinegar for a few hours. Just lay the spray wand in the same container to keep it spraying evenly.

If it is a Moen faucet ...some of their faucets in that time frame had a problem with a deteriorating component. When I took mine apart I found tiny particles of blue rubber or silicone, not only in the screens but also plugging some of the tubing. Moen replaced my faucet, and I have had no problems with the replacement that cleaning the outlet screen doesn't cure.

We have Moen faucets too, gotta love their lifetime warranty. Price-Pfister is the same.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The problem must not be too bad as her profile shows that she has not come back to see what has been suggested in the thread?

woman_who_seesMember Since 09 Apr 2002
Offline Last Active Nov 07 2015 05:35 PM

We have a whole house filter not one just for the kitchen sink. It is more than just the aerator, we have had the same problem in the past. You know the white calcium build up that happens in the hot water heater, they have a annode rod to stop some of that from happening. Well we had to practically take one faucet apart to get chunks of white calcium ( some pieces of it 1/8" ) in the waterline. We found it after we disassembled the handle and at the point where the diverter is located. Some faucets have replaceable o ring washers at this point. We had some small dental picks ( metal ones like the dentist uses ) and kept flushing out the pieces. It works good now. I think that calcium builds up inside the flexible PEX lines and flakes off. Good luck.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

The problem must not be too bad as her profile shows that she has not come back to see what has been suggested in the thread?

Keep in mind some folks don't or are not able to access the internet regularly. For me at times once a week is a good average at least in the summer. I have good free wifi daily now so stand back.

Thanks to all who replied to my question. It seems obvious that the problem is with our faucet so we bought a new one when we returned from a year in New Mexico. But the problem persists. Now what?

Bill (DH), Jan (DW), Sunshine (DBird), and Gila and Tacobelle (DCats)

2004 Winnebago Sightseer

"Folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" (after a cup of coffee)

Interesting. Are we correct to assume that the problem is with either hot or cold water, pretty much equally? And as you mention that it has always been that way, have you tried other solutions?

I would try removing the water fittings from the faucet and put them into a bucket or something and then turn the water on again to allow them to flush out just to see if that might clear the lines. I'd also trace the water lines in an effort to determine what is different at the kitchen from the bath since it works OK. Do you know where the water lines are physically as compared to those supplying the bathroom? Could it be that the bath is much closer to the water source and that is part of the issue? If it is the length of water line it may be improved by use of larger diameter lines but that would be a big job. Since you have both hot and cold lines to the kitchen it seems strange that both would be effected the same if it isn't a problem in the faucet, yet one would think that replacing the faucet would have eliminated that as a possible cause.

I agree with Linda that it sounds like some type of blockage, but if it effects both water lines equally that seems less probable. If both lines are routed together, then it might have something to do with where the lines are located. Could something have partially crushed them both?

A new clue? If it is more the hot water side it might be related to your time in NM depending on your water source/s there. I have spent extended periods in NM and some water source have a fairly large amount of calcium or some type of solids that tend to affect hot wate in particular. One spot I was at was really bad and if I heated/boiled water in a pan on the stove and poured it out it had a lot of calcium or whatever coated on the pan. I have a similar problem as you on my hot water side but it is not bad enough for me to tear the system apart to try and fix it. In fact one time years ago I did this to the hot water heater and ended up making things worse for a while. I think I broke loose some smallish particles that migrated into the lines. The last 5 or 6 years I was on a water system that wasn't near as bad. This may not be the answer to your issue but it is a good place to look in relation to previous suggestions.

Me_thinking out loud. Is the kitchen in a slideout? I wonder if there is a possibility of those water lines being crimped or squeezed, depending on their position as the slide extends. Sharp bends or 90* fittings reduce water flow and pressure of an open line, and it the lines got crimped just once it made a restriction.

If you suspect calcium or lime buildup in the lines; I wonder if "winterizing"(for lack of a more accurate term) with white vinegar would loosen and dissolve the scale. That works for coffee makers, it might also work for your water lines.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If only the hot water we had a similar issues way back. It turned out to be a broken check valve in the hot water tank. When we turned on the tap the pressure would suck the broken valve up to the outlet and restricting the line. Just a thought!!

regards

Archived