RV_ Posted November 7, 2015 Report Share Posted November 7, 2015 There is a certain irony in my passing along this information. It wasn't too long ago, 7 or 8 years, when Windows was the primary target of malware and the folks with little market share in PCs were not being attacked as much if at all, and it appeared they were inherently uninfectable to their users. There are folks who still say that and believe it then admit that their favorite OS has been compromised both directly via vulnerabilities and by user error from social engineering getting them to click on an unexpected email attachment or link to a freebie. In the mobile world today the numbers are reversed. Remember when Apple had 4-5% market share in PCs and Windows had all but a percent or two that Linux had. Today Windows mobile has 4-5% and is not really a target yet, because the big money and easy low hanging fruit are the Android and the iOS users today who have the other 95% of market share between them. My mobile Window mobile Lumia phone is not any more secure or less. But I now have security by obscurity. I am not laughing nor trolling or baiting the Linux and Apple folks because Android is a Linux fork OS no? Excerpt: "The company says it observed over 20,000 samples of this type of adware in the digital wild. Some of the malicious apps functioned like their real counterparts, but they all also quietly gain "root access" to a device and install themselves as system applications. That means they have practically unlimited access to files on the device -- a big security and privacy risk. That's why it is so difficult to totally remove the apps But, luckily, there is a pretty easy way to avoid them: Only install apps from Google's official Play Store. "Malicious actors behind these families repackage and inject malicious code into thousands of popular applications found in Google Play, and then later publish them to third-party app stores," Lookout noted in a blog post about the malware. That means the victims here were people who went outside of Google's official channels to install the imposter apps. Some users turn to such markets to take advantage of offers of free or discounted apps, or find apps that don't make the cut in official market places -- sometimes because they rely on pirated material or are hyper-localized to a specific geographic market. Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment on this story, but the company has long tried to limit suspicious apps in the Google Play store by scanning the market for signs of malware. It hasn't always been 100 percent successful in those efforts, nor has Apple, its main competitor in the mobile operating systems market." The whole article with live links and related content is here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/11/06/beware-new-android-malware-is-nearly-impossible-to-remove/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_tech Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.