HDT Buying Guide

Chad&Jen

My wife and I are a couple years from beginning our full-time adventure and we've decided to go the HDT/Fiver/Smart route. We know what we want out of our rig, but the question now becomes how to best find it. On the HDT side, neither of us have driven a big truck, but we're both completely open to it. Our plan is to follow the crowd into a Volvo with i-Shift. The issue is to how to find a "good" truck. We have no clue how to evaluate one truck from another when it comes to the internals.

For those of you that have gone through this process without prior technical expertise, would you recommend bringing in an "expert" to assist/consult with the search? Our budget is $50K and in looking through Truckpaper/Ebay/Craigslist, it seems there are recent Volvos that can be had with less than 700K miles for around that money. We understand that there will be additional costs for singling/Smart bed if we don't find an already RV-specific rig.

I haven't been able to locate any HDT-specific buying guides on the site. Has anyone put together the details of how to judge a truck for purchase?

We face the same issue with the fiver, but that's a post for another forum. Thanks for any guidance.

Also try to get to one of the HDT rally's as you will be able to see the various set ups, talk with people, drive one, have information overload and even in some cases talk with 5th wheel manufacturers and tour their display models.

Next one I think is the ECR rally in TN in April unless the West coast does one sooner.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We are between Baltimore and DC, so if there is anyone near us, we're glad to go and see their setup. We're definitely planning on attending an East Coast rally next year as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I know a well maintained truck can last a RV'er a lifetime, so I just want to make sure we give ourselves the best chance to find a good one. I'll be sure to take a look at the links provided.

We are between Baltimore and DC, so if there is anyone near us, we're glad to go and see their setup. We're definitely planning on attending an East Coast rally next year as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I know a well maintained truck can last a RV'er a lifetime, so I just want to make sure we give ourselves the best chance to find a good one. I'll be sure to take a look at the links provided.

I live north of you in De. but have a Kenworth, plus I will be at the East Coast Rally.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Take a look at RVhaulers.ca, Greg will help you through the process.

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

Take a look at RVhaulers.ca, Greg will help you through the process.

2X

I think you will enjoy yourself at the next East Coast Rally. There will be a nice number of trucks to see. The rally also has different seminars about truck and trailer and other topics. The camp ground has some nice cabins in the same area where all the trucks are located. This is just an idea. Maybe look at a truck already set-up to pull a trailer.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Chad and Jen,

If at all possible, plan on attending the ECR. It is very laid back, and anyone is always willing to answer your questions. Last year was our first year. We really enjoyed it and made our reservations for this year even before we left. I think you'll find it very informative and enjoyable.

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Chad and Jen,

Couple of things:

1) Don't limit yourself to a certain brand or configuration of truck. A good deal on something else may land in your lap.

2) Look for a truck already in RV service. All the trucks here will be for sale someday. Turnover isn't fast, but a truck bought here would be my first choice.

3) You're already doing it right by getting an early start. Be prepared to take a long time, but also be prepared to pull the trigger if the right truck comes along. There have been several great trucks sell here in the past year. Have your ducks in a row for that day.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I hesitate to ask this, but in looking at Jack's truck, I'm curious as the significant price difference over a rig like Red Rover. Jack's is clearly newer, has the i-shift tranny and smart car bed, but has 100K more miles than Red Rover and is more than twice the price. If discussing prices like this is not encouraged on the boards, please feel free to delete this post. If not, I'd appreciate any guidance on how these rigs are valued.

I hesitate to ask this, but in looking at Jack's truck, I'm curious as the significant price difference over a rig like Red Rover. Jack's is clearly newer, has the i-shift tranny and smart car bed, but has 100K more miles than Red Rover and is more than twice the price. If discussing prices like this is not encouraged on the boards, please feel free to delete this post. If not, I'd appreciate any guidance on how these rigs are valued.

Looking at Truck Paper, there are two 2009 780s with 7xx,xxx miles and an iShift, priced at $34,950 and $51,000. That would seem to leave a lot of headroom for customization before you got anywhere near $119,000.

Looking at Truck Paper, there are two 2009 780s with 7xx,xxx miles and an iShift, priced at $34,950 and $51,000. That would seem to leave a lot of headroom for customization before you got anywhere near $119,000.

And that is why you have to study the videos from RVHaulers.ca on what goes into a conversion. The headroom can disappear quickly.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

From Mayer's website:

"Most people end up adding about $10K of goodies (including the hitch) to the basic tractor. If you want to add a hauler bed, figure on $22-25,000 for a nice bed with at least 4 side compartments."

Okay, that's $35K. Taking the more expensive Truck Paper unit at $51K, that brings the total to $86K. What's the rest of the $119K for?

The leading statement in Jack's article:

"at 2015 prices anywhere from $35K-$75K for a later model Volvo)"

brings the range from $67,000 to $110,000 for a truck with a hauler bed.

And you are not talking about a Smart car bed.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

The leading statement in Jack's article:

"at 2015 prices anywhere from $35K-$75K for a later model Volvo)"

Looking at later model trucks at the current time it is very difficult to find a clean one. They are out there, but VERY difficult to find. Expect to pay in the $50-80K range for a later model clean Volvo (I'm assuming an automated transmission and a large condo truck). Yes, there are gems out there that can be found. But in general that is the going range for a good clean truck. Then you have to decide what items REQUIRE repair/updating or you will preemptively replace. To get a truck close to "almost new" takes some time and work. Time, because you really don't know what is going to fail or require upgrading on the truck until you spend some "quality" time with it. That is why I recommend that people look first on the forum for a truck that has been in RV service. In "most" cases that truck will have been vetted pretty good. Buying a dealer truck is to a certain extent "rolling the dice" unless you have a lot of experience in buying trucks. And even then you can be surprised. Also, when looking at dealer trucks be careful that you are comparing trucks with the same/similar engine and trans. It makes a difference. For example. the D16 typically is higher priced. This may not matter to most RVers, though.

Just remember, there is no perfect truck - even new ones have issues. Hopefully not many, though. Be prepared to fix things, and do not defer maintenance and repairs, because it WILL come back and bite you. If you are not fulltime you have a lot of latitude in this, but fulltime RVers MUST have a reliable truck. Which is one reason Mark and I do preemptive maintenance on our trucks.

You certainly do not have to have a truck as "fancy" as mine to have a very good and usable RV Hauler. The truck I'm selling is certainly at the top end of converted trucks, and anyone considering something like it should ALSO seriously consider investing a moderate additional amount and ordering a NEW truck. For another $40-50K you can easily get into a new truck with a hauler bed like mine.

The other way to go is to buy an older truck that DOES NOT have pollution controls on it. It also will not have the creature comforts of the current trucks - specifically the modern automated trans like the IShift or the new Ultra. They also do not have as viable drivers position for women as the modern trucks. Especially shorter women. But you can buy an excellent truck for far less than mine. Assuming it meets your needs that is a very viable way to go, and is likely what most would do.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived