iOS 9.1: Better, but still broken

RV_

Excerpt:

"While there's no doubt that iOS 9.1 is a huge improvement over iOS 9.0, bringing much-needed stability and performance improvements, the new release contains a bug that been plaguing iPhone and iPad users alike.

The bug relates to the Touch ID sensor, and for those affected it basically turned what was quick and easy to use under iOS 9.0 into a frustrating hassle under iOS 9.1. For some, it works sometimes and not other times, while other frustrated owners have not been able to get it to work since upgrading to iOS 9.1.

The problem seems to affect new and old iPhones and iPads.

What can you do if this bug affects you? Based on the research I've carried out, while there are no end of suggestions, there's no definitive fix. And since downgrading to iOS 9.0 is not an option any more, the only thing to do is to wait for Apple to release a fix."

The entire article with hot links and related stories is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-9-1-better-but-still-broken/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

See also:

Excerpt:

"iOS 9.1: A much-needed performance and stability update

Yesterday I ranted about how iOS 9 bugs were driving me crazy and how they were having an adverse effect on my productivity. Then, a few hours later Apple released iOS 9.1, and the difference that this has had on my iPhone is like night and day.

But iOS 9.1 is more that just new emojis, it's also a pretty significant bug- and security-fix bundle, swatting 49 security vulnerabilities and a whole host of usability and performance issues. And the performance improvements are very noticeable. Here are some of the bugs that I previously reported that I'm finding that are now fixed:

•Poor touchscreen responsiveness
•Sluggish user interface
•Sluggish orientation control when turning handset from portrait to landscape or vice versa
•Crashing apps
•Sluggish app launching
•Sluggish keyboard
•Search is slow to respond

It's too early to comment on battery life improvements - I always find that it takes a few recharge/discharge cycles for that to settle down - and as for the Wi-Fi issues, well, that still seems to be flaky, but fielding one problem beats fielding several.

To me iOS 9.1 feels like what iOS 9 should have been. After all, Apple had a public beta that should have shaken out the bigger bugs (in theory at any rate). But software betas have become more about generating hype and less about shaking the bugs out of stuff before release. Also, the timing of the release of iOS 9 was pretty fixed by other events - specifically the launch of the new iPhone - so inevitably it becomes a case of "ship it now and fix it later."

That article with more is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-9-1-a-much-needed-performance-and-stability-update/v

Looks like it's improving.

Safe computing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived