Oil wicking wiring harness

jambro

My D16 had 740,000 miles on it when the harness needed replacement. So, I am guessing that I am good for my life time, as are ALL the Rv'ers who purchase my Volvo . . . . long after the angel of death taps on my shoulder and says it is time to go.

Also, if someone is looking, on this forum, to buy an HDT, then he/she will know that mine has been replaced. If it does not increase its value of my Volvo, it will certainly increase its marketability.

If I knew then (when I bought my HDT) what I know now (thanks to the members of this forum), I would have negotiated that the seller fix the leak (replace harness) or adjust the price.

I astound myself with my incredible hind sight. LOL!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, am I still invited for dinner??

Of course! Disagreeing does not mean people cannot continue to be friends :) .

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Can someone please post a photo of this harness and where to located?

This sounds like a mandatory check on potential purchases.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

No, it was not a joke. . . . . The sanitary napkin came to mind as it is a highly absorbent alternative for a trauma dressing in mass causality cases where severe bleeding from an injury occurs - EMS is part of my life history. They can soak up and hold a lot of fluid. . . . .

Randy, you'll like this.

Back in the day, sanitary napkins played a not so dissimilar role in the space program. One of the stories I recall from the old timers was about how the guys would stop a leaking LOX or LN2 fitting. They'd dip the napkin in a bucket of water and wrap it around the fitting. It'd freeze up in a heart beat and stop the leak . . . cold. Kinda frowned on today but you have to give it to the folks that weren't going to let a little cyro leak slow down the mission.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim - I love it, thanks for sharing.

I'll make a photo of the harness/loom on my D12D and post it. Hopefully tomorrow. I've been thinking on all this and have an idea rolling around in my noggin for a system to drain any oil seepage that gets into the loom and divert it back into the oil fill tube on the same side of the engine. I may not need that sanitary napkin or diaper after all :mellow: .

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I don't lay any claim to knowing all about whatever. But, these are some photos from my D12D showing what I understand to be the point where the injector harness loom enters the head and the probable path for oil to follow and reach the EECM. My loom does have some oil showing externally but I am not sure how much, if any, leakage I may have inside where it is suppose to be sealed.

loom1.jpg

The arrow points to the connection point where the injector loom enters the cylinder head.

loom%20path.jpg

This is the path oil seeping from the loom sealant at the head would need to follow to enter the EECM.

drain%20to%20fill%20tube.jpg

This is the point where I am thinking about putting the output from a loom drain into the oil fill tube. I still need to study my situation more and decide where and how to tap the loom to divert any oil that may seep into the loom away from the EECM. .....or I could just use a "diaper" (seriously B) .)

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Archived