T-Mobile - how fast is that!

So I really wanted the T-Mobile data stash because Verizon doesn't have it. But I have heard less than great results about T-Mobile, although a recent post referenced to a CNET article saying the T-Mobile has moved up in the "big boy" range. So I got a T-Mobile 11G plan and included the hotspot device. Total cost with all taxes and the hotspot is $80 per month, no contract. So this works out to about $8/Gig.

For comparison, my Verizon hotspot (2 year contract) plan is 15G for $110 a month, plus $20 per month for the line. After taxes etc, about $10/G per month.

But how does it work? In the Dallas Metro area, both have similar coverage and speed. In remote Athens, TX way out in the boonies, both systems worked well but T-Mobile was slightly faster than Verizon (about 8Mbps vs. 6Mbps down). But at my winter site north of Houston... Katy bar the door: Verizon is 8Mbps download and 7.5 up, T-Mobile is 76Mbps download and 9Mbps up.

The only drawback to T-Mobile that I can see is that the 11G is their maximum data plan. Verizon will sell you more data albeit a bit on the expensive side.

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Good info John. Thanks. I may have to give them another look.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My husband, Jim, loves his phone on Google's Project Fi. That is a combination of T-Mobile and Sprint. It even worked in England, France, and Belgium - roaming with no extra charge! and ... $10 per GB - period. Pay for 3 each month, but if you only use 2, you get $10 back, if you use 10, you owe $70.

But, for RVing around the states we still would not be without Verizon - we have old grandfathered plans for unlimited data. We use 20-30 GB each per month.

Fulltime RV Travelers since 2003. Now touring the country in 37 ft Gulfstream Endura. With my husband, Jim, we are Geeks on Tour. We present seminars at RV rallies and computer clubs all over the country.

When in urban areas, T-Mobile has some awesome speeds. But you get outside of them, they fall off considerably. We carry all 4 carriers on board, test each at every location we stop (with all of the boosters on the market) and without a doubt - Verizon is tops for coverage, AT&T a close second and T-Mobile and Sprint a distant 3/4th.

By the way, Verizion reshuffled their pricing back in August. You can now get a 18GB hotspot plan for $120/month (works out to $6.60/GB). You might want to see if you can switch, it might not even impact your contract.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

"By the way, Verizion reshuffled their pricing back in August. You can now get a 18GB hotspot plan for $120/month (works out to $6.60/GB). You might want to see if you can switch, it might not even impact your contract. "

The latest is $100 for 18GB. But I also have to pay $20 a month plus taxes for the data line. Lots of options to investigate!

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Archived