hayes controller install.. need help.

PEIFamily

I see people saying to use the max brake install for the Gen2 Volvo, but I teed into the lines as shown in the resource.. and here's my outcome:

"Cal tapped the Red Brake line for the sensor Tap" - I lost all the air from the truck when that happened.. (saw afterwards it was was one of my tanks..)

"Bill B (Bill)" - When I tapped into the gray line and pressed the brake nothing happened.. BUT air was there when I pressed the hand brake.. So it is feeding ONLY that line.

Anyone install one of these inside a 2006 Gen 2 Volvo? What line did you use?

Truck was stuck in the shop most of the week with a VERY low power issue (lucky if it would go 50mph when bobtailing).. They did another top end (last owner did one before I got the truck but they were suspicious of if it was done) (It had been) and they pulled my pipe, seems the epg shutter was stuck closed and was acting like a brake was on the motor).But She is all ready now with a complete greasing, fresh filters and oil, new rubber, new rim (who knew aluminum rims wear out?? I didn't, one had bad wear marks in it) So I am a few days behind on what I was needing to do to it.. Just started installing the truck boxes this evening..

Leaving Monday so gotta get this fixed up asap.

Thanks!

post-31294-0-93012300-1446334879_thumb.jpg

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

On the same page in the Resource Guide are photos of the Doug Franks installation. Substituting an air line to the Hayes controller for the MaxBrake Sensor. More appropriate installation.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Well,

Trip got delayed today to work on it more.

Have the hayes working. Never hooked to trailer yet, but have the controller working with the foot brake and trolley brake. It also is routed through the jackalopee.

Wiring.. The power came from being fed with the black wire to a inline fuse with a positive connection

Blue was fed back to the jackalopee brake control plug.

Red (stop light switch), I couldn't reach that darn thing under the dash for the life of me so after speaking to Henry to confirm it would be ok, I ran another line to the #4 on the jackalopee (brake light) and grabbed the feed from there.

I wired my 1/4 line to the Tractor Protection Valve in the engine compartment. Directly below the manifold, there is a rubber grommet / plug, I drilled a very small hole through that and feed the 1/4 line into the cab. From there I hooked it up to the hayes. The foot and trolley brakes works fine.

Hope this helps you out Roger!

post-31294-0-54307300-1446508049_thumb.jpg

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Interior shot of where the grommet is. If your truck don't have one, measure both sides and make sure its safe and install one ;)

This keeps the controller inside and easily reachable.

post-31294-0-95005300-1446508383_thumb.jpg

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Interior shot of where the grommet is. If your truck don't have one, measure both sides and make sure its safe and install one ;)

This keeps the controller inside and easily reachable.

too late now but you could have popped one of the plugs in that alum pass thru. Suite Success recently had the part numbers for the fitting used there. No drilling required.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Ray_nomad, on 02 Nov 2015 - 8:10 PM, said:

too late now but you could have popped one of the plugs in that alum pass thru. Suite Success recently had the part numbers for the fitting used there. No drilling required.

only had to drill a rubber grommet.. Plus it was free ;)

My luck, I would have popped one of the plugs out and somehow caused the passthru to self destruct or something lol

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Archived