Here we go!

txdslshop

Thanks for that. If you look in the pics you should be able to see where I hung the bed and painted the underside before I mounted it. I painted all of the new frame and I already plan on pulling the bed off in a few years for sandblast and repaint of the frame if this turns out to be a keeper for us. Things were a little shaky for us during the winter. Our Open Range managed to spend over 60 days being repaired in the 1st year including a trip back to the factory for new fiberglass siding on both sides!! Needless to say, we were seriously considering going back to a Diesel Pusher. Jeremy

I did want to take a minute and thank Henry and all the others that answered my questions and let me pick their brains as I got started on this bed build. Especially Oletimer!!! He was gracious enough to share some info and measurements on his truck and it certainly helped me in the layout of mine.

In your picture with all the new tires sitting on the bed, it looks like the rear tires are behind the side rails. I assume this is without air at the rear. It could be become an issue if you need to remove a rear tire and you do not have any way to air up the back end (blown rear air bag?). Hopefully it is just the angle the picture was taken. Watch that you do not drag the back end, with the long overhang, in some situations, we get close and have only hit once when we went thru a deep ditch with one tire while turning. Otherwise bed looks good!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

texdslshop You build looks great. Where are you located? We made the ECR and had hoped to make the NR but it looks like we might be headed South. More to follow. We tow a 43 Open Range Mesa Ridge (2115) and haven't had any trouble yet or maybe we just don't know it yet. What kind of problems did you have? Did they fix everything? Have you had any issues with the Slides? Hope we can meet up some time. If you are ever in Va Beach area or eastern Va just let us know. Hope your test run this weekend works for you. Be safe. Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks for the compliments. Dave, I wanted my bed as low as possible to allow 8 foot ramps to work for us. Fully dumped the tires do tuck, but they do not rub. I could limp it a ways with it fully dumped and I put 4 new bags on it when I built it. I figured I would take my chances and stuff a wood block between the axle and frame if I blow a bag and have to take a tire off for something. I like living on the edge!! LOL At normal ride height the tires clear easily.

Pat, I am in Madisonville TX and also spend quite a bit of time in Crystal Beach as well. As a matter of fact, my old Fire Chief from work was from Virginia Beach and he went home a few years ago. RB Alley was his name, super nice guy!!! Not sure on rallies, I am afraid I would be the only one at one in my mid 40's!! LOL Jeremy

Thanks for the compliments. Dave, I wanted my bed as low as possible to allow 8 foot ramps to work for us. Fully dumped the tires do tuck, but they do not rub. I could limp it a ways with it fully dumped and I put 4 new bags on it when I built it. I figured I would take my chances and stuff a wood block between the axle and frame if I blow a bag and have to take a tire off for something. I like living on the edge!! LOL At normal ride height the tires clear easily.

Pat, I am in Madisonville TX and also spend quite a bit of time in Crystal Beach as well. As a matter of fact, my old Fire Chief from work was from Virginia Beach and he went home a few years ago. RB Alley was his name, super nice guy!!! Not sure on rallies, I am afraid I would be the only one at one in my mid 40's!! LOL Jeremy

The truck build looks great, as do your photos on FollowMyBuild. I'm glad that's working for you.

As for your photo sorting issue on FMB, as long as you're logged in, you can simply drag and drop them to resort them on the phase page. Here's a video showing how it works.

As for your comment about being the only one in your 40's at a rally, I wouldn't worry about that. I'm not to my 40's yet and I was welcomed in to the group very well. The rallies are a group of like-minded people of varying ages. I have been to three rallies in my short time with a HDT and have very much enjoyed all three of them. I'll be going to them as long as I'm able.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Thanks for the video!! I spent some time dragging them around and getting them in order and for some reason they did not stay where I put them. Operator error, I am sure. As for the Rallies, I actually have considered going and will be looking at my schedule for October.

I made my first trip this weekend loaded with the Jeep and my 5th and I am glad to report that I am totally happy with the way this truck performed. It pulls, stops and turns amazing. I have been wanting to build a truck for better than 10 years and I am wondering why I waited soo long!!! I logged a couple hundred miles without the trailer and the same loaded coming home. I couldn't be happier!! Now to get the interior done. My kids (5) need seating!!! LOL

Archived