Here we go!

txdslshop

I have been lurking here for a number of years... And I have finally bit the bullet and drove home my new to me 2006 Volvo 630 with a 12 liter Volvo and 10 speed ultrashift. Runs and drives great and isnt the cleanest or the prettiest. But, its paid for and fit my budget. So I am happy. It made the 7 hour drive home tonight from Oklahoma to my shop in Madisonville TX without a hiccup. Just lots of rain and traffic. I would post a pic... But, I am Pic Posting Challenged. Now to get busy cleaning and straightening this thing out before I get started on a bed/hitch. Anyone know where I could find a decent used air hitch? Jeremy

Welcome and congratulations. Have with the new truck and try to keep the smile down some.

Keep an eye on the forums for a used hitch, but probably by now you are aware that an ET is pretty good and I don't think I have ever seen a used one.

Best is use a photo site like photobucket to post picks.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Congrats from a fella Texan. Driven by madisonville for most of my life. Love to hate I 45.

If I hear of a air hitch I'll let you know. I have a solid reise 20k hitch if that can get you on the road sooner.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Thanks for the kind words guys!!! I will see if I can figure out photobucket. As far as a hitch... I am currently towing my 38' Open Range with my 3500 Dodge flatbed and a 30k Reese low profile hitch that I bolt to the top of my bed. Of course I reinforced the bed with 3" channel and tied it into the frame underneath. Anyways, I could make an attachment for the Volvo, but I am concerned about the much more harsh suspension on the rear of this volvo. The Reese has some swivel built in. But no air cushioning. Jeremy

Note to self... Do not buy a new HDT "toy" a couple days before you fly out to SEMA for the week!!!! Soo many little things I could be doing to it to get it in shape!!! Lol. Has anyone ever taken a pressure washer to the interior of a Volvo? This thing is disgusting inside!!!

Congrats on the new to you truck, I would agree with the ET as Henry installed mine last year at the ECR and what a difference, expensive but best in the long run. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Congrats .. and have fun at SEMA! The BIG toy is only at the starting line! But... the Trouble with these HDT'S when you sign up for the race.. IS...... they keep moving the FINISH LINE!

'Welcome Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Txdslshop our son will be there sometime Tuesday thru Saturday. He helped us out with our HDT decision. I went last year and enjoyed it and the 15 miles we walked some days helped my exercise routine! No vacation time left this year for me to go. I will have to let him know that Bmzero will be there, he met Brett on the Hot Rod Power Tour when he stopped to make sure we were OK when we had stopped to help some Aussies with their blown RH drive Ford Falcon

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 6 months later...

Ok. I am going to attempt to paste a link to my "Follow My Build" page with all of my pics. Please let me know if this works or if I need to do it differently. Also, I attempted to put them in order and no luck. They are just random and would not stay where I moved them to. Probably operator error. This is the end of the first build phase for our HDT. Interior is next, followed by side boxes and skirting. Thanks for checking it out and I am always open to suggestions. Jeremy

49572238-435b-421a-aae5-c8f3ff387bfd-s.j

Congrats, welcome to the Dark Side. Nice Truck. And they're all nasty when you get 'em until you get your life in them.

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I cannot find the link to the "followmybuild". The referenced url fails....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I decided to be a rebel and I went a touch over 6 feet. That allowed me to have 13ft of bed space for my JK with it nosed up between the stacks. I used 2x4x3/16 rectangular tubing to frame the bed and it is mounted in 8 points in hopes of stabilizing the extra long extension. I also ran the 1/2" plate and angle the full length to act as a cross member and, if I ever decide to shorten it, I can simply redrill (For the Hitch) 3 feet forward and cut out the last 3 foot section of bed before the dovetail. As far as the link Jack, did you click on the "View High Resolution Photo" link? It worked this morning for me. Thanks everyone for the kind words. It has been and continues to be a fun project. Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy....that worked...

Nice build. I like it a lot!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The build is coming beautifully. The only thing I would suggest is if the bed is not on the truck for any reason I would paint the daylights out of the truck frame with a GOOD quality paint or possible under coating. I did the frame on mine with rattle cans of rust oliem and it did not stand up well.

Also if the bed is off paint the bottom of the bed as well. JMHO

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived