Cab heights

Stan Wright

Stan

I couldn't get an exact measurement but my 430 is a couple of inches under 10 feet. The 630 would be about a foot taller and both will be lower than almost all 5th wheel RVs.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

14ft doors fit all legal height on highway vehicles...

Said the guy who built a door too short one time...

I also would build a 14' door. You never know what the future will bring. And although it will cost more, given the higher side walls, it won't cost all THAT much more. Something to seriously consider.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

14ft doors fit all legal height on highway vehicles...

Said the guy who built a door too short one time...

X2

Truck fit after I trimmed my stack. And my old trailer fit with room to spare ?

But new trailer a ya no way. To tall and to long?

Things change go 14ft if you can and as long as you can trust me

I have 14' doors on my shop. I need to be sure the door is ALL the way up to come in with the truck.

And, go at least 2' wider than you think you need. I have a 14 x 14 and a 14 x 20. Both are too small.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have 14' doors on my shop. I need to be sure the door is ALL the way up to come in with the truck.

And, go at least 2' wider than you think you need. I have a 14 x 14 and a 14 x 20. Both are too small.

Rick, why do you feel 14x20 is not wide enough. Seems like plenty of width to me. I'm curious because I'm toying with the idea of building a (large) barn for the truck/trailer/apt.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I just built a new shop/office this past winter. I have 14' doors and yes bringing the truck and trailer in to the shop requires the doors be all the way up the stop. This photo makes it look like it does not fit but it is a camera angle issue. Tip of the exhaust pipe clears with about 5" with the door all the way to the stop. My doors are 12' wide.

PRE_RALLY.JPG

As for height, I am 22' tall. We were originally thinking 18' or maybe 20' tall but after talking to the steel building company we learned that the steel sheeting for the outside came in 22' lengths and would have to be cut down to our desired height. So basically the shorter height was more expensive due to labor and the added steel needed in framing only added minimal cost. The height makes it nice if I have to work on top of the trailer as I am able to completely stand up. The height also give the heat someplace to go in the summer (I am in Texas so heat is a issue). In the middle of summer it is very workable in the shop in the middle of the day. The doors in the photo face north and I do have 1 door on the south side to allow a breeze to come thru the building. The middle bay is a pull thru.

As for each bay width I went with 16'. I figured that at 16' that was wide enough for the trailer with the slides out. Plus I knew the trailer would go in the middle bay (sewer connection in the floor to dump tanks) so I would still have plenty of room to get around the trailer with the slides out as well as be able to use the lanes on either side of it. Even with the truck in either of the outside lanes I can still get around it with ease.

Also if building new think about insulation. The entire building is R30. It was about 90* the day the insulation was being installed and I had my I/R out and it was about a 7* difference from where the installation was installed vs where it was not.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Thanks Rick. I'd for sure go with the 22'. I was thinking 14'x14' doors with extra space between them, but you have me convinced now that 14x16 is the way to go.

I agree on the insulation - anything I build would be fully insulated. I'd likely put a sewer drain at each space. Easy enough to do during construction. I would also want to be able to store the trailer with the slides open, so the door spacing will be wide enough for that at any slot.

I'm still just toying with the idea....at this point we are not ready to get off the road.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I considered adding sewer dump to all three lanes but decided I did not want the clean outs on the floor. If you notice the concrete has a earthy/wheat color to it instead of being your normal concrete gray. We did the same with the concrete in the shop. So if we need a large area for an event everything can be moved out of the shop and an event held there. So the less floor obstructions the better.

We did live in the trailer for two months here in the shop. Couple of things to think about if you plan on doing something similar is all you see when you look outside the windows of the trailer is the, well shop. To us guys that sounds good but ...... With the back door open we could see out of the shop but only from the back window. Due to weather we would close the doors at night in case it rained or something so you had no idea of what was happening outside.

At 12' wide for moving in/out the door width is not problem. In the photo I am working on the truck with it half in/out of shop. That is not typical. Currently we have all our household goods/furniture in the far lane while the house is being built and living in a couple of the empty offices. We will be glad once the house is complete and then all my toys will be inside. A 14' width does make it easer to get past the truck when sitting half in/out like in the photo. I would also consider a 14' width if you do not have a straight alignment when moving the trailer in/out. Again just a little more room for error.

With 12' wide doors and each lane at 16' that gives me 4' between each door. I have a set of steel shelves that are on casters between each doors. This gives me a catch all for stuff instead of just putting it down on the floor somewhere, which just so tempting.....

The other thing I did was put 6 50A RV drops in the shop. So I have more than enough power any where I need it in the shop. I just have some break down boxes to step down the power if I don't need that much in the location I am working at. It has came in handy so far. We needed to hook up the dryer and it was real easy to build a box that I needed for the power for the dryer that just plugged in to a 50A RV outlet.

The R30 insulation was worth the expense. Very impressed with it this past summer. Looking forward to see how much the furnace does not have to work this winter.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I think it is Rule 2 of shop / storage building design: Carefully make scale plan models (above view looking down) of all your stuff, spend hours moving them about on the floor plan of the proposed building, park them this way and that, make many notes and calculations of what the "minimal" most perfect everything just fits how cheap you could get away with, change the size 11 teen times until you arrive at the absolute PERFECT building design... And then double it. :)

Rule 3: circles enclose the most area with the least wall, but are awkward to work with.

Rule 4: squares are the next most efficient

Rule 5: rectangles take more of everything - foundation, feet of wall, square of roof to cover the same area.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Rick, why do you feel 14x20 is not wide enough. Seems like plenty of width to me. I'm curious because I'm toying with the idea of building a (large) barn for the truck/trailer/apt.

For normal road going machinery, a 14x14 would be fine. I have an active farm. When we built the shop, the biggest piece of equipment was 20'. Now 40' is common. Too big is never quite big enough......................

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

is this Low profile or Tall tires?

good question. Had "tall" tires when measured a few years ago. Now have lo pro and would guess a inch or two less now. Haven't remeasured......thanks for the reminder.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Archived