Super Singles

Larry&Donna-AK

I've been seeing many Commercial Rigs with Super Singles.

I know there is a weight savings but I would like to know if anyone has investigated the Pros & Cons for the RV Rigs.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Have a friend who has them on the back of his truck and hasn't had an issue. No plans to change as far as I know.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I've talked to several commercial drivers with super singles that don't like them. One driver got so upset talking about them I thought he was going to have a stroke. Some say they hydroplane easily with light loads and bob tailing.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Rocky

Wide based tires should not be used on singled Trucks (pulling trailers) unless the truck is equipped with ESP or ESC (Electronic Stability Program/Control).

Michelin XOne Service Manual Page 22

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Your screwed big time for several reasons.

1.) You blow a single your going to ruin the rim.......period. Now you get to buy a tire and rim.

2.) You can hobble in on the other tire on duals at least to get off the road.

3.) Any idea when one of those singles blow how much rubber is going to rip off your fenders, fuel tank, air lines, YOUR AIR BAGS!

4.)They do hydroplane in rain. You don't have enough weight like a semi to remain stable.

5.) Try to find a super single in Winnamuca, Payson, Quartzite, Van Horn, get the idea?

Bigtrailer

Rocky

Wide based tires should not be used on singled Trucks (pulling trailers) unless the truck is equipped with ESP or ESC (Electronic Stability Program/Control).

Michelin XOne Service Manual Page 22

Trey, that's why I was wondering what Rod's friend has. I would never consider wide based tires on a singled truck, even if Michelin said it was OK, for the main reason of leaving me stranded and not able to limp down the road.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Trey, that's why I was wondering what Rod's friend has. I would never consider wide based tires on a singled truck, even if Michelin said it was OK, for the main reason of leaving me stranded and not able to limp down the road.

He is singled and has put a lot of miles on the truck. Pulls a heavy trailer has a heavy deck with motorcycle lift. Considering an Alaska trip in the near future. Not sure how many years before I met him 3 years ago he did the conversion from dual to super singles. I got him a spare tire from my brothers shop. He hadn't carried one for years. (Prep for Alaska trip). Not saying he is correct an expert of anything. Just sharing the information. I thought about it with my trailer and could still possibly do it. Two less tires to age out with lots of tread still on them.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Your screwed big time for several reasons.

1.) You blow a single your going to ruin the rim.......period. Now you get to buy a tire and rim.

2.) You can hobble in on the other tire on duals at least to get off the road.

3.) Any idea when one of those singles blow how much rubber is going to rip off your fenders, fuel tank, air lines, YOUR AIR BAGS!

4.)They do hydroplane in rain. You don't have enough weight like a semi to remain stable.

5.) Try to find a super single in Winnamuca, Payson, Quartzite, Van Horn, get the idea?

Bigtrailer

This retired trucker can agree with all this except #1. True, you COULD ruin the rim but not every time. I probably had a problem with a blown SS about 4 times and NEVER ruined the rim.

Can't agree more with #5! I sat on an exit ramp once going into Atlanta (Marietta) with a blown SS waiting for the roadside service for 7 hours. No SS found in the area to install for me. Who would have thought one would not be available in Atlanta of all places? My terminal manager wound up getting one from our shop in Chattanooga and bringing it down for the tire guy to install !

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Sounds like most of you better start running dual steers for fear of ... anything ever going wrong. :rolleyes: Seriously, anecdotal stories from guys that run 100K miles/yr compared to the number of SS on tractors and trailers is statistically insignificant. How many miles do any of us run with our greatly under-loaded HDT's?

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

But the truth about trying to find one, roadside, would be enough for me. I'm singled so I needn't worry, but they are a rare tire to find. Every roadside guy has a 22.5 for my truck, drive or steer axle, but you will get bent over trying to find an SS roadside...period. And all for the "cool" factor?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

It's the interweb truth you need a dually to pull a fiver. :lol:

And besides you can go get a tire just about anywheres with your bmzero modular lazer cut spare HDT tire carrier (BMZMLCSCHDTTC) on the back of the smart and change 'er right there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvzPeBkvGk

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Speaking for myself only. I'm a full timer and I want more than one tire on each side because that is my house back there and a blow out could put my house in the ditch and wreak everything. Just my opinion.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I don't think singles on the single axle rear are a good idea even if you have stability control. To me that seems kinda obvious. But I suppose that technically they could be OK. My bigger issue on a singled tractor is availability and ability to get off the road - as others have said.

As cool as they look, I'll stick to duals. If I bought a truck with singles and left it tandem I might run them for awhile but I'd switch to duals at some point in time. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We looked at wide based tires but Volvo & Michelin discourage it on singled rear's unless ESC equipped and even then there is concern on the "rapid loss of pressure" condition.

Also, another reason we went with standard dual tires on our singled rear is that by the time you slap a Smart bed on the back, the SS tires are kind of hidden in the wheel well.

Loses the "cool factor".

:oB)

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

My understanding is there are two axle widths. The wider one is specifically for SS, but its too wide to run duals.

The narrower one can run SS but you end up with a narrower track. But you can also run duals.

I read that most fleets with SS are staying with the narrow axle so they can go back to duals if necessary.

But you lose a lot of the 'cool' appearance with the narrow axle as it is tucked more under the bed.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

While there are a lot of benefits to Super Singles, there are a lot of negatives, as have been pointed out.

The majority of the trucks you see running SS tires are fleet trucks with a fairly good support system if they get a flat.

It is not by coincidence that with a large number of other non-super single over the road trucks, you will see that they usually carry an unmourned all position tire that can literally go on any position, either at a tire shop, or the side of the road if a steer tire blows.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

2degree offset wheel and a 0 degree offset wheel

I'm sure you mean 2" and 0". Just clarifying. The 2" offset give full width on a standard dual wheel axle but most manufacturers don't approve as the outer wheel bearing is overloaded. The Meritor axle takes care of that by averaging the width of the two axles and having a larger outer bearing

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Another full time trucker weighing in.

I agree all with all the negatives already presented.

There are 2 applications where super singles are indicated.

1. Weight savings in applications (tanker hauling repeat identical loads) where the aggregate weight savings translates into more gallons hauled per load over time to make a slight positive difference in fleet efficiency ($).

2. Fuel efficiency (2-3% avg)increase distributed over millions of miles traveled to justify the offset in increased costs and agravation.

You simply cannot justify the use of SS tires in the HDT RV arena on a cost or efficiency basis. If you think they are cool, do it, but you will pay for it.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived