How do I get to the dome light switch

Brad & Jacolyn

Hi,

Yesterday the dome lights in the Volvo started staying on all the time. I pulled the bulbs and left it overnight (it was raining and nasty). I conferred with BillB and he suggested the dome light relay and the fuse. I pulled the relay and swapped in another but still the same problem. I put the bulbs back in and pulled the fuse. Problem solved for now. We think that a door switch may be broke or stuck but I figure that like most things on a Volvo I probably would not recognize the switch even if I knew where to look for it. Does anyone know where or how to access the switch?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Not sure on a volvo but typically a door jamb switch is a plunger style that when open makes a ground connection for the light to work. Look around for any type of plunger switch in the door frame area. You could also have a pinched wire someplace making the ground connection.

Also check your sleeper area, we find that the DW or DH flips the switch in the sleeper area and forgets to flip it back off and it activates a dome light.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Hi guys,

Yes I have a Gen 2 and there are no plunger switches on the door frame. I suspect that there is something on the door hinges or the arm that keeps the doors from folding against the fender. There is maybe something inside the fender.

Scott there is a position on the dome lights but it is not turning them off no matter how many times I press there. Plus it is both dome lights and that is why I suspect a door switch is stuck or broken.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

The dome light "switch" is incorporated into the latch/striker assby. in the door

Power is from F37 (might be a different number) and thru relay 11 (again might be a different number)

The relay is energized by EITHER or the door "switches" providing ground to the relay coil.

If you pull the relay do the lights stay on? Normal operation is if you pull the relay the lights should "cycle" if you push the lens.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Try the switch above the clock in the sleeper on the drivers side. That switch also controls the dome light.

There is a door switch somewhere because there are red courtesy lights on the hinge side at the bottom. 1 push and the light comes on when door opens, double tap and it stays on....or in reverse. Mine is set and I don't mess with it.

Yippee it is fixed. Thanks for all who responded.

Roger the switch above the clock in the sleeper controls the sleeper light. I also don't have any lights in my doors. The winner is Ray_nomad because he knew the dome light 'switch' is incorporated in the door latch. I tracked everything back to the passengers side door latch. After I reinstalled the fuse and the lights came back on I started playing with the latch and could turn the lights off manually with the door open but not by closing it. I adjusted the striker plate inward about the thickness of 2 layers of paint (that is a scientific measurement) and then the lights went off when the door closed.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

I have a long light on the sleeper ceiling controlled by the switch mentioned as well as two on the dash. one on the right of the wheel and another on the left. There is another light over the drivers left and passengers rt shoulder with 2 lights and 2 switches on each of the lights then there are the 2 courtesy lights on the drivers and passengers doors.

Clearly mine has a different lighting configuration. I need to figure out which if any other than the red courtesy lights is supposed to come on when the door opens.

I have a long light on the sleeper ceiling controlled by the switch mentioned as well as two on the dash. one on the right of the wheel and another on the left. There is another light over the drivers left and passengers rt shoulder with 2 lights and 2 switches on each of the lights then there are the 2 courtesy lights on the drivers and passengers doors.

Clearly mine has a different lighting configuration. I need to figure out which if any other than the red courtesy lights is supposed to come on when the door opens.

The "long light" in the sleeper (florescent???) is a completely different circuit and IIRC is controlled by the ECU in the panel in the sleeper.

If you're talking about the "headliner" lights on the driver/passenger sides...they should change state by pushing the lens (on/off) and or the door.

As to the lights in the door panels (which I don't have so just going by the schematic) they should also work like the headliner lights. Push the lens and on/off.

Hard to tell whether your are in the "full on" for each light or controlled by the door switch.

If you pull the relay and the lights toggle then the lights are OK.

What problem are you having??

I'm not having a problem. To this point, I figured all the lighting systems were the same in the trucks. My long light as you call it is in fact controlled by 3 switches, one in the sleeper and two on the dash as mentioned earlier. You are correct with the other two.

I am curious as to whether Headliner lights come on with door latch. I'll check tomorrow, its belting down rain here.

I have battery kill switches so even if lights stayed on with a timer after truck was turned off they would go out with kill switch.

I'm not having a problem. To this point, I figured all the lighting systems were the same in the trucks. My long light as you call it is in fact controlled by 3 switches, one in the sleeper and two on the dash as mentioned earlier. You are correct with the other two.

I am curious as to whether Headliner lights come on with door latch. I'll check tomorrow, its belting down rain here. They should work with the door latch switch.

I have battery kill switches so even if lights stayed on with a timer after truck was turned off they would go out with kill switch.

Archived