Dampness under mat

SuiteSuccess

Washed my truck at Blue Beacon couple of days ago. When I pulled back my cab mat for another problem noticed under mat was damp. Plan on pulling seats and whole mat out this week while also looking for signs of leak. I tried searching forum for previous threads on this subject but came up empty. Believe it was Dynamat folks were laying under mat? Also recommendations on evening out dips and valleys in cab. Was wondering also about a spray sealant for cab floor prior to replacing. I want all material to be as mold resistant as possible.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, Windshield gasket leaks account for lots of the wet floor padding issues. I think a couple of folks found the a/c condensate drain clogged causing the same thing. Charlie

Yes, Charlie those were two areas I was aware of and gonna try to check. Thanks for the response.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Check here for some solutions. We used Lizard Skin products on several motor wells and engine rooms with good success.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/liz-51528?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnrexBRDNmZzNkf7c4c4BEiQALnlxhd_vpY2Edu55I07ld1zV1OqDzAyKTPJp58qrmoHhnacaAiIo8P8HAQ

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Carl, call me if ya can't find it. I had a couple of spots I had to fix leaks. I can give ya a couple's hints.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Carl, call me if ya can't find it. I had a couple of spots I had to fix leaks. I can give ya a couple's hints.

Thanks Phil. Definitely will call if I can't find the leak. Thinking it might be my driver's side door seal. When I was sitting in truck fixing to pull out of wash bay, final rinse showed some suds coming through driver's side door at top. Wondering if only high pressure spray caused it but will douse with water hose. Also noticed I'm getting some water damage at base of driver's door so may be my culprit.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks Phil. Definitely will call if I can't find the leak. Thinking it might be my driver's side door seal. When I was sitting in truck fixing to pull out of wash bay, final rinse showed some suds coming through driver's side door at top. Wondering if only high pressure spray caused it but will douse with water hose. Also noticed I'm getting some water damage at base of driver's door so may be my culprit.

The cancer on the lower drivers (and passenger) doors is common. If you look at the sites with junk/replacement doors you'll find most state they have this damage. If you find one without it will cost almost what a new door is. Had both side of mine fixed last year. The drains in the Volvo doors is a poor design.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Ray,

Did you buy new doors or have body shop fix? I always hate to ask but approximate cost to cure the cancer?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

Check out the condition of the a/c inlet filter gasket under

the door on the passenger side firewall and the drain valve at the bottom of the filter box.

Here are the replacement part #'s Phil gave me.

20440995 cabin filter drain fitting

20447222 cab Filter gasket

Carl, I had my drivers door fixed when I bought my truck in '10. It came back in a few years. Friends at my local shop found me a freebie a year or so ago, that came off a wreck. Thank goodness all I had to pay for was paint cuz doors ain't cheap.

And MrSeas just gave you one of my leaks...the other was the doghouse itself....both pieces (yeah, there are two sections :( )

2014 smart Fortwo

Carl,

You can also get someone with a smoke machine for evap testing to get inside the cab and run the nozzle around all of the door seals, windshield frame, Marker lights,etc. A

telltale smoke stream should show you your leaks in a hurry.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Carl,

You can also get someone with a smoke machine for evap testing to get inside the cab and run the nozzle around all of the door seals, windshield frame, Marker lights,etc. A

telltale smoke stream should show you your leaks in a hurry.

Good suggestion, thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Denver, no pictures but when you remove the doghouse (the part bolted to the floor and the firewall, it comes apart into another, smaller section, so there are actually two seams all the way around the thing. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a left/right thing. The smaller, inner, section bolts behind the trash can, the bigger, outer section to the floor. Both have seals that degrade after time, at least mine did. The tray above the trash can has to come out to access the bolts where each section attaches to the firewall. removed the bigger section, replaced the seal, buttoned it all back up just to discover the smaller section was leaking too. For what that new rubber mat cost, I figured I better take it all apart again and do them both.

2014 smart Fortwo

Just a thought Carl, did you close the windows before you washed it. 8-)

But you know of course that I only jest,

My first guess would be door and window gaskets, do let us know.

Did see where manufacturers pump air into cab, like with a shopvac, and spray soap water looking for bubbles.

Your leak detector would find it at 1/2 psi, I would bet.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Ray,

Did you buy new doors or have body shop fix? I always hate to ask but approximate cost to cure the cancer?

Had them fixed by an "independent" body man in Rome, GA.

Sandblasted all the cancer out, The drivers door was starting to rust thru to the outside.

Body work, prime, paint. $500 for both doors. Couldn't find used doors without the same problem.

IIRC new or "good" used doors were near $1000 each and that didn't include the change out or paint if needed. Like Phil said they are pricey.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Hi Carl,

Be careful when taking out the seats. Have someone there with you if you take the seats out. I found out the hard way how heavy the seats are. Depending on how wet the mats are, it could take several to dry in the sun. If I can remember right, it took about 3 to 4 days for my mats to dry out in the sun. At that time the bottom mat was soaking wet. After the mats dried out I sprayed a water proofing spray on the bottom of the mat. Rust-Oleum makes a spray. It is the same kind of spray that you see on tv when they fix the bottom of that boat. There are several different kinds of paint to encapsule the rust on the floor. The paint that I used was called Rust Bullet. I am working on the floor of my truck right now.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks Big 5er, I'll take a look at that. We've had the windshield and gasket replaced. also the AC. drain I routed down to the lower frame. Also had our guy take the entire heating and AC unit out and clean, and install new cores, vent seals, etc. It's got to be something small and I'm sure we'll find it. Thanks for the advise, Hope to see you at the ECR. !

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Well hard mornings work but got seats and mat out. Think I found my leak as you can see from the pics. The right side of the floor panel is rusted and looks like water has been oozing in. Still gonna check other sources but as Al said, removed both seats by myself and they are heavy. Phil little stumped as to how to remove the gray shroud in picture 1 where some folks have a trash can. Do I need to remove dash panels? Next question, do I need to pull up the floor panel and use some liquid gasket around the edges or could I just seal with a good caulk or flex seal product? Underside of mat was damp but not soaked and white padding was the same so doesn't appear to be a severe leak, more of an ooze.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, after our talk this morning I think you are on the right track. I think the doghouse is leaking onto the edge of the transmission access panel and running into the cab. Once you get the doghouse out, you will have a better look at the access panel. I don't think it is an issue and I do not remember mine access panel having any type of real seal. There is a "lip" on the access panel under and behind the doghouse which is where I believe my leak was occurring. FYI, before you button it all back up (ie: put the mat back in), plug the air line for the passenger seat, re-mount the drivers seat and go to the truck wash. Don't do like me...er, I mine someone that I know, and put it all back together before you find the "other" leak.

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks again Phil. Yes, planned on hosing it prior to complete reassembly.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl

I was involved a while back in a similar conversation with wet floor mats. My question for you is, you say you found your leak. Can I assume that you may have a rust hole and that is where the water is entering? I can't tell from the pictures. If so, how can you be sure it didn't rust through from the top down, which would mean a different entry point for the water leak? My '99 is damp on the drivers side & I still can't tell where it's coming from. I commend you for removing the seats, something I would hate to have to do.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Todd,

I will hopefully add more info tomorrow as I will be removing the doghouse (that gray thing). In speaking with Big5er his seal around the doghouse was leaking and it looks like mine is from there also. I will also be looking for rundown on the firewall from a window seal. As usual had one glitch. Twisted the head off one of the seat hold down bolts so gonna have to drill it out and retap. That adds an hour.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived