Pulling an adapted Lexus RX330

Viv and Denis

4 Down Towing:

2004 Lexus RX 330 ALL AWD V6 3.3L cyl 5-Speed Automatic U151

We are considering pulling our 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD behind a Tiffin 45LP coach. The stock vehicle is not acceptable for 4-down towing. However Remco does offer a Lube Pump Kit for this vehicle, the model LP-BK01-010. I also checked with Blue Ox and they offer the BX2906 base plate for the Lexus RX330.

Has anyone tried these products? Can I take the manufacturers claims to the bank? Is there something additional we should be considering or asking to assure we dont damage the RX330 towing 4-down with these products properly installed?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Dennis & Vivian Ashworth

I would suggest you emphasize the fact your Lexus is ALL WHEEL DRIVE. From what I've read, the majority of AWD vehicles are not towable, they must be trailered.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I would suggest you emphasize the fact your Lexus is ALL WHEEL DRIVE. From what I've read, the majority of AWD vehicles are not towable, they must be trailered.

Many AWD/4WD vehicles are towable 4-down with not modifications, including common ones like Jeep, GMC/Chevrolet, Honda CRVs up until last year, and manual transmission Subarus. Others, like many Fords, etc., can be towed with after market modifications from Remco.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Many AWD/4WD vehicles are towable 4-down with not modifications, including common ones like Jeep, GMC/Chevrolet, Honda CRVs up until last year, and manual transmission Subarus. Others, like many Fords, etc., can be towed with after market modifications from Remco.

The reason I made the suggestion to affirm his Lexus is in-fact 4-down towable Bill, is because Lexus is not even listed in the 2004 Motorhome towing guide

or the 2005 towing guide.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The reason I made the suggestion to affirm his Lexus is in-fact 4-down towable Bill, is because Lexus is not even listed in the 2004 Motorhome towing guide

or the 2005 towing guide.

So he is going to void his warranty by using a Remco lube pump? It is 11 years old, there is no warranty. The towing guide only shows the vehicles the manufacturers say can be towed 4-down with no modifications and won't mention after market products. Later towing guides do mention Remco and many people have happily towed for years using Remco products.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for the responses. The information has been useful in confirming things we already knew or suspected. The Remco pumps seem to have a good reputation as far as my Internet research has found … same with Blue Ox. We are veterans of the Escapades RV Boot Camp (Tucson last year) where Remco and Blue Ox were discussed at length and I feel comfortable with both manufacturers. I’m less comfortable with Lexus (Toyota).

My nagging question is whether the transmission fluid circulation is the ONLY concern to be mitigated when towing the RX330 4-down. Or, is there perhaps something else that needs to be implemented to prevent damage to the Lexus?

Of course, Lexus would never stick their neck out and say yes or know. Remco either … so our best bet is to alleviate our final concerns in towing the Lexus is to ask users like you for comments.

Archived