Singing the Freightliner leaking radiator blues..............

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Well, stuff happens and then theres leaks. I had noticed that I was losing coolant very slowly, every 5,000 miles or so I would have to add a quart to the system but could never could see where it was leaking from. As a precaution I replaced all the metal pipes and suspect coolant lines before going to the HDT rally, I am now in Mountain Home Arkansas at a friends place and the radiator is leaking not bad but it lost a gallon between Springfield Missouri and here.

So I get on line and find the nearest Freightliner shop its in Springfield a 120 miles north of where I am, WHY didn't this happen yesterday when I was there. Oh well called the shop they have a radiator in stock and can get me in tonight around midnight and be finished by tomorrow morning. Estimated around 22 hundred bucks for the parts, labor and coolant. Could be worse this could have happened while crossing the rockys where theres no cell service in a blizzard, still a big hole in the diesel fuel fund but it doesn't change my mind about the HDT I'll just keep on trucking. :D

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave;

If you don't see coolant anywhere in the engine compartment, the radiator is not leaking. If you have a plastic unit? They leak at the inlet/outlet pipes or just split a seam. Check your oil levels engine and trans. Check your coolant lines to the sleeper also. Typically a Columbia radiator is $600 or so, for that kinda money it must be a Benz brand!

Good luck

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Dave;

If you don't see coolant anywhere in the engine compartment, the radiator is not leaking. If you have a plastic unit? They leak at the inlet/outlet pipes or just split a seam. Check your oil levels engine and trans. Check your coolant lines to the sleeper also. Typically a Columbia radiator is $600 or so, for that kinda money it must be a Benz brand!

Good luck

Curt

Howdy Curt,

I can see where its leaking, its right where the drivers side tank is attached to the radiator core, and it had gotten worse in the 120 miles I drove from Springfield to Mountain home. I have over 3,000 miles to go before I get home and its just not worth taking the chance of it blowing in the middle of nowhere and I'll be crossing a lot of ground where there is no cell service or shops of any kind.

$886.00 dollars for the radiator, $840.00 for labor, it is what it is, I'd rather spend some money now rather then spend a LOT of money later, I have replaced everything else in the cooling system so this should cure any future cooling system problems other then a water pump going out, knocking on wood as I write that. As to the radiator, they asked for the last six numbers of the vin and told me this was a direct replacement so I am "assuming" its a stock Columbia radiator.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, I had a slow leak a couple of years ago, it turned out to be the heater hoses in the sleeper unit. Coolant level is certainly on my Pretrip

Howdy Roger,

I replaced the hoses that went to the sleeper about two years ago, I too had a slow leak in one of them.

Just called the shop, they have the old radiator out and are working on installing the new one, they said something about having to replace eight pins that hold the unit in place as the old ones were all rusty and a few of them broke off, it should be ready to pickup around 2:PM local time.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave;

Those numbers are in line for pricing. The plastic radiatorsurgery they use these days do not last long if there not mounted correctly, vibration kills them! With the broken pins mentioned, it was only a matter of time. And yes you dodged a total failure.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Darn auto correct! Surgery?

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Sorry to hear about your problem Dave. As long as you could see the leak you will be fixing the right thing. Once upon a time I was losing coolant in the Volvo. Could not find anything. The mobile tech ordered a water pump so he had the correct one before he came out. He could also not find a leak and it passed a pressure test. We finally found a drain valve (I believe) high on the passenger side and it would only leak coolant at about 1400 rpm. It was also threaded. He put a threaded plug in the hole and the problem went away.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Dave;

Those numbers are in line for pricing. The plastic radiatorsurgery they use these days do not last long if there not mounted correctly, vibration kills them! With the broken pins mentioned, it was only a matter of time. And yes you dodged a total failure.

Curt

Howdy Curt,

Picked the truck up a few hours ago, total bill out the door including sales tax was $1,873.27 They showed me the old radiator and it looked like the drivers side tank was about to crack completely OFF it was only a matter of time, glad it happened when it did rather then in the middle of nowhere. If this one lasts 763,327 miles it will still be working LONG after I have sold it or am pushing up daisies.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

My son had to replace his fan belt tensioner pulley today on his 05 Freightliner at the TA in Ogallala, NE. cost him $475., He has the Mercedes motor. I told him he needs to carry a tool box with spare parts, it would have been a easy repair for him if he had the part with him.

Greg

Archived