Hello Everyone

TexasDually

My name is Scott and I hail from Springtown, TX, I met a lot of fine folks at the 2015 Rally and wanted to express my thanks to everyone who made it happen! It was Gay Lynne's and my first rally, and was the maiden voyage for our Volvo 630 HDT. (TEXAS DUALLY) We met Steve and Gail about 2 yrs ago at a rest area in TN, where we had a short discussion about their rig. We were hauling our travel trailer with our Dodge RAM, and as we all know, pickups are under powered, and under braked! Not 30 miles down the road another WHITE KNUCKLE experience presented itself. Being a Class A driver, I was quick to understand what Steve was telling me at the rest area. Soon after returning home, I found a way to contact Steve, and the discussion about buying a HDT began, in addition a friendship has developed over the course finding the right truck, and the correct mods needed. I also have to mention Gregg Shields and the wealth of knowledge on his website, and the many discussions we had. Jack Mayer was also very helpful with his enormous website, and several emails that were exchanged. This forum and the resource guide was also a source of great wisdom in my journey to create my Hauler! I wanted to also mention that my need to carry my Jeep made my search for the right truck even harder. I needed more deck space, and I wanted to avoid stretching the frame if possible. My 630 has a bit longer wheelbase, and with the shorter sleeper, made converting my truck fairly easy. Finding this truck certainly wasn't easy! Well that's our story, and I hope to see many of you at the east coast rally, and look forward to more friendships developing along the way!

2006 Volvo 630, 10 spd, 465 hp D12 1650 torque, Tandem Axles (Texas Dually)
18' Dovetail Flatbed with EZ Slide Ramps by Texas RV & Toy Hauler Conversions
30' Flagstaff Bumper Pull Travel Trailer
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.5" Lift (Night Crawler)

Welcome Scott & Gay Lynne,

Sounds like you have well thought out your combo to fit your needs.......

Once you get used to some of the "unique-features" HDT-RV use........ you feel sorry for a lot of the pickup-rv rigs crawling down the roads......

Drive on.......... (Look out for the pickups.........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I'd like to see a picture of your truck with the Jeep loaded. Thats not easy to package.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

Good morning Scott & Gay Lynne,

It was very nice to meet you at the HDT Rally, and to see your rig setup. Thanks for showing us around your rig and the information you provided. I learned a lot, and learned how much I really didn't know. Thank you for your time and patience last week.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

It was so nice to meet Gay Lynne (another TexAnne). I enjoy all the ladies who attend the rally, but there is just something special about sitting with someone who could sing "The Eyes of Texas" with me if we wanted to. We didn't, but we could have. LOL

It was nice to meet you, too, Scott. Say "hey" to Gay Lynne and I hope to see you both next year.

Sheri

Good morning Scott & Gay Lynne,

It was very nice to meet you at the HDT Rally, and to see your rig setup. Thanks for showing us around your rig and the information you provided. I learned a lot, and learned how much I really didn't know. Thank you for your time and patience last week.I

It was nice meeting you as well. I hope you had a nice trip home. I am by no means an expert with this application of a big truck, but I have driven them since I was 18 or so. Since meeting Steve & Gail 2 yrs ago it has been a crash course. If I can be of assistance don't hesitate to contact me.

It was so nice to meet Gay Lynne (another TexAnne). I enjoy all the ladies who attend the rally, but there is just something special about sitting with someone who could sing "The Eyes of Texas" with me if we wanted to. We didn't, but we could have. LOL

It was nice to meet you, too, Scott. Say "hey" to Gay Lynne and I hope to see you both next year.

Sheri

Hi Sheri!

Was great to meet you and Rocky.. Name right? Or is it Rock? I am bad with names, great with faces though. We are planning on attending East Coast and National in 2016

Scott

I'd like to see a picture of your truck with the Jeep loaded. Thats not easy to package.

As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I will. Hmmmm Easier to work on the truck. LOL

Hi Sheri!

Was great to meet you and Rocky.. Name right? Or is it Rock? I am bad with names, great with faces though. We are planning on attending East Coast and National in 2016

Scott

Hey Scott! His given name is Rocky; I call him Rock. See you in Hutch next year, if not before.

Scott and Gay Lynne,

Welcome and DW and I look forward to meeting at the ECR. We used to live in Weatherford and still have a cousin in Springtown. Safe travels.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

volvoandjeep_zpsctla0wr3.jpg

Here is the full rig at night.

nightfullrig2_zps2citw6wq.jpg

I am so pleased and proud of the way my custom bed turned out. Jamie, the fabricator did such an awesome job. The ramps are hidden behind doors that end up folding down on the ramps for a transition piece between the ramp and the bed. They are EZ to pull out, and to stow. Why they are called EZ Slide ramps! Ramps are 23.5" wide, made of steel, and are actually heavy, but they can be deployed and stowed with one hand! I am probably posting in the wrong place, but the job he did for me has me so excited I want to share with everyone! I'm new to forums, should I just post a new topic with pics of all the features?

bd6c9ee1-201a-44b8-9198-12cc6a3a2159_zps

Scott and Gay Lynne,

Welcome and DW and I look forward to meeting at the ECR. We used to live in Weatherford and still have a cousin in Springtown. Safe travels.

Small world! We look forward to meeting you.

Nice looking setup! For some reason, I thought you were pulling a 5er.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

Tex-D,

Great looking setup.........very clean lines and one of the best looking tandems on the forum.....

Design of the bed looks very functional and the chain-rail / stake-pockets are very nice......

The Dollytrolley also has a simple 30ft TT toyhauler with a removable horse module that we haul the wife trail-paint-horse named Dolly towed by a old Freightshaker also tandem .........

Us 30ft trailer folks here in the forum are a fairly rare bunch but we are pretty content with 30 ft and if we had a longer trailer we could not get into as many of the good horse-camps that the wife likes.........

Once again thanks for sharing your rig concepts......

Drive on............(enjoy the ride........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Nice looking setup! For some reason, I thought you were pulling a 5er.

Thanks for you comment. I have never had a 5er. I have seen some newer BP models now are offering all the same amenities as a 5er, with the exception of the extra storage available. Looks like you hit the off road events like I do.

Tex-D,

Great looking setup.........very clean lines and one of the best looking tandems on the forum.....

Design of the bed looks very functional and the chain-rail / stake-pockets are very nice......

The Dollytrolley also has a simple 30ft TT toyhauler with a removable horse module that we haul the wife trail-paint-horse named Dolly towed by a old Freightshaker also tandem .........

Us 30ft trailer folks here in the forum are a fairly rare bunch but we are pretty content with 30 ft and if we had a longer trailer we could not get into as many of the good horse-camps that the wife likes.........

Once again thanks for sharing your rig concepts......

Drive on............(enjoy the ride........)

My biggest question is this: When are you going to single your truck?

Answer: Probably never.

Next thing is: Why did you have your bed built so it isn't skirted, you could have more storage boxes, if your bed was skirted and you got rid of an axle.

My bed builder can build any form of truck bed. His work is amazing. This bed style was my choice because I go off the beaten path more than most people. I wanted full access under my truck, and less places for dirt and mud to collect. In addition if I go to get building materials, off road parts, engines, etc. I can easily load and haul it. It is my Texas Sized Pickup Truck! LOL

I kept my truck tandem for less weight on the road surface per each rear tire, and of course the 4x4 aspect of locking in the interlock. When I was hauling oil and gas field items, we many times a week would have to engage the interlock to keep moving in bad road surfaces.

In TX and many other states you can stay tandem and still be able to convert to an RV registration if you want.

I have my truck registered as a Private Truck, and at 26,000 lbs. With full fuel, and the Jeep loaded (4,500 lbs) I am still under 26,000 lbs!

So far for just 2 of us and our dog, the 30' size is fine. Many off road events it is just me, so the 30' TT sure is big enough.

Thank you for your kind comments about my truck. I certainly am very proud of the end result!

Thanks for you comment. I have never had a 5er. I have seen some newer BP models now are offering all the same amenities as a 5er, with the exception of the extra storage available. Looks like you hit the off road events like I do.

We don't hit as many as I would like but our children are young. Our youngest just finished potty training so our mobility is looking up.

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

We don't hit as many as I would like but our children are young. Our youngest just finished potty training so our mobility is looking up.

Might see you on the trail one day, paved or not.

TexasDually, I am looking forward to meeting you at the 2016 ECR. You have a good looking rig with lots of nice features that I would love to snoop around. Welcome to the group. Be safe. Charlie

Looking forward to meeting you. Thank you for your comment. All "snoopers" are welcome!

Glad you were able to make the Rally.

On the singling question .....In your case I would never even consider singling. You would be more likely to overload the axle(s) single. In this case with your goals it is appropriate to remain tandem. Each situation is different and needs to be evaluated on its own set of facts.

In our case our next truck will remain tandem because of our current weights.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack for your comment. I agree 100% that each individual truck and intended use needs to be evaluated. I found it strange that I was asked "when are you going to single your truck" many times over. Is someone out there giving the impression that you have to single trucks for RV use? I was actually able to license my truck at 26,000 lbs, and fully loaded, 2 people, full fuel, dog, Jeep, various equipment, 24,700 lbs! No this does not include trailer. Truck only.

Archived