Question for you experienced rv'rs

Kashburn

I will be getting my first 5th wheel and as a Texas resident will need a non commercial class a. How do people usually transport from point of purchase to where they're calling home? I bought mine in Indiana and will need to get it to Texas. Thanks for the help

The answer depends upon the weight of the trailer. From the TX, DPs it states.......... For the class A:

Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles: With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The answer depends upon the weight of the trailer. From the TX, DPs it states.......... For the class A:

Just to double-check, Kirk... the way I've been reading the Texas regulations, I won't need any kind of special driver's license: CGVWR: 23,995, TV: 10,000, fifth wheel: 13,995. Am I correct?

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Just to double-check, Kirk... the way I've been reading the Texas regulations, I won't need any kind of special driver's license: CGVWR: 23,995, TV: 10,000, fifth wheel: 13,995. Am I correct?

Rob

Wrong. If you have a Texas driver's license, you need a non commercial A license for towing a trailer over 10,000#. You would need a non commercial B license if you are driving anything over 26.001#. As long as we are not getting paid to drive the rigs, none of us needs a CDL (Commercial Driver License). The drving test has to be taken in the correct rig. One has to wonder how many owners have been incorrectly advised by salesman, or friends, and are driving without the correct license. Why even motorcycle riders have to have a special rating.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

Wrong. If you have a Texas driver's license, you need a non commercial A license for towing a trailer over 10,000#. You would need a non commercial B license if you are driving anything over 26.001#. As long as we are not getting paid to drive the rigs, none of us needs a CDL (Commercial Driver License). The drving test has to be taken in the correct rig. One has to wonder how many owners have been incorrectly advised by salesman, or friends, and are driving without the correct license. Why even motorcycle riders have to have a special rating.

Thanks, Dave. I'll expect to get a Class A and take the test when we get there.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I will have a trailer with rated at 19,500 lbs pulled by a F450. I will need the non commercial class A unless I miss understood the regulation. I'm just trying to figure out how people get the trailer from the dealership to where it will be parked until the driving test can be taken.

I will have a trailer with rated at 19,500 lbs pulled by a F450. I will need the non commercial class A unless I miss understood the regulation. I'm just trying to figure out how people get the trailer from the dealership to where it will be parked until the driving test can be taken.

They drive it over and take the test. Most often drive for a few weeks to practice before they go get their upgraded licenses. No one ever asks how they got it there.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Dave, you are slightly mistaken. If, you have a truck and trailer that the CGVWR is 26K or more AND the trailer is 10K or more, then a Class A exempt is needed. The other example you mention for a Class B is for a SINGLE vehicle, i.e. Motor home, not a combination.

They drive it over and take the test. Most often drive for a few weeks to practice before they go get their upgraded licenses. No one ever asks how they got it there.

Barb

That'll work for Texas, but to show how other states handle this differently, in Maryland the licensed person who drove the truck or drove with you to the license examination must present their license to the examiner before you can take the test.

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

In Illinois you have to show that the guy who drove the rig to the test site has the proper license. Had to get a friend with a CDL to drive me in for my test.

As far as getting it home, I just took a chance and drove the truck from Kansas to Illinois without the proper license.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

In Illinois you have to show that the guy who drove the rig to the test site has the proper license. Had to get a friend with a CDL to drive me in for my test.

As far as getting it home, I just took a chance and drove the truck from Kansas to Illinois without the proper license.

Dennis, I am considering doing that. My only reservation is that 1,200 miles is a long way to chance.

Dennis, I am considering doing that. My only reservation is that 1,200 miles is a long way to chance.

It's a risk assessment problem. What are the odds an out of state cop is going to be looking at your license? And how likely is it said cop is going to know what Texas requires? Only you can decide how that risk feels to you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 6 months later...

Another question: Ever consider taking on an "apprentice" ?

You are posting on threads that are more than 6 months old since last comment so you would probably get more response if you were to start a new thread.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived