Tire leak

BoilerMike

I have a travel trailer about 1 year old with its original tires. The tires have about 10,000 miles on them. Tread is good and no unusua wear or damage to them. One of the four tires slowly leaks air. For example if I'm parked for about a week, I will need to add about 3 to 4 pounds of air. 50# is max recommended pressure.

Someone suggested I use slime to fix the slow leak. I'm not sure about that product. I'm leaning towards having the tire checked out by a qualified individual.

By the way, the trailer came with no jack. Is that typical of having no jack to change a tire? If I should get a jack, any suggestions on type would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BoilerMike

If you have aluminum rims, do not use slime, it will slowly eat them away even though their container says they will not affect aluminum rims. I can show you pictures of what it does if you are really interested.

If you can take the tire off the trailer, remove it and then squirt a soapy water mixture on the tire, around the valve stem, around the rim and see if you see any areas that cause a bubbling which will be your air leak. If you do have aluminum rims they can leak around the rim and the tire has to be demounted, the rim cleaned up of the corrosion and then the tire remounted with a sealer at the rim bead.

Valve stem leaks can typically be fixed by replacing or tightening the valve stem core if it is leaking at the core, if it is leaking at the rim by the valve stem, you will most likely need a new valve stem.

Leaks in the tire, can be caused by a small cut or a nail or other object that is still embedded in the tire. You should have the tire repaired by a good tire place where they demount the tire and put a patch on the inside and not just plug the tire with a tire plug kit.

As far as jacks, the best style is a bottle jack that will jack up the trailer by the frame, typically you should never jack up from the axles. Check your owners manual if you have one. Also only being a year old, go back to the dealer or manufacturer and ask them how is it supposed to be jacked up. They may say you can use your leveler jacks to raise it up or have some other method. It should have a warranty, try using it, maybe they will fix the leak for free.

Hope this helps.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Welcome to the Escapee forums.

I don't believe that any travel trailer comes with a jack. If it were me, I'd remove that tire and take it into a tire shop as a slow leak will nearly always get worse over time. It could be something just starting to penetrate the tire and go down as soon as you start to travel.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't think you'll locate a small leak using soapy water, it should be dunked and held in a tub of water. The leak can be from a bent place in the rim, a crack in the rim, corrosion on the bead surface of the rim. Aluminum rims can for have tiny voids in the casting and leak anywhere there is air pressure.

Save yourself some grief, remove the tire and have a tire shop inspect the tire.

It is safe to jack up a trailer by placing the jack under the spring mount on the axle, NOT inside the spring mounts though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Best way to jack up the trailer is the lift the frame of the trailer to get the weight off the axle and block it. Then use another jack to lift the axle till the tire is off the ground.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Check your valve stem core. I had the same problem awhile back. You can tighten them with either old style valve caps, or get a tool from and auto parts store. Its a very common over looked tire leak problem.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
Daisy - The Japanese Chin
Alex - The Tibetan Spaniel
2010 Crossroads Kingston KF36CK
2008 F-250 6.4L
Edge Evolution Programmer
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

Archived