Ruby refused to leave the stop light

Jim & Wilma

On our way through Birmingham today, we stopped at a light on a relatively moderate incline. Light turned green and Ruby surged a bit but didn't budge much. Put her iShift in manual 1st gear and same results. Of course it was a busy intersection and traffic behind us building up. We pusuaded Ruby to back up about a block in three lanes of traffic with Wilma (heroine of the hour) guiding me to the nearest pull off.

After a few minutes of rest, we tried driving forward again with success but going downhill instead. Next 20 miles to Hoover were uneventful, but we didn't attempt a start on a hill! When we were stuck, sure felt like the clutch was slipping. Through it all, never lit a code. Looked for codes in the diagnostics when we got to Hoover, but nothing related seemed to jump out at me . . . but I'm still deciphering MIDs, PIDs, FMIs, PSIDs and etc so may have missed something.

Welcome any ideas of what this may be. My assumption is we're getting weak clutch pressure being applied for some reason.

We'll be telling this story for a few years and Wilma is reminding me it's time for bed and put today to history. Hope to continue to Florida tomorrow so wish us luck but stand by for more adventures.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I'm having the exact same issue. Even had the clutch replaced in buffalo. It helps in many ways, but was going through blue beacon yesterday for a wash and Rupert was not having any of it. Same issues, no RPMs, Would lurch into gear for a second and go back to nuterial and continue til,I get into the wash bay. Turned the key off and restarted and that seemed to reset the computer. Tried that before with negative results.

No DID displayed messages, just some in the messages about communications errors in both the engine and possible the transmission.The truck ran fine for the rest of the trip here to talladega motor speedway. Kinda been going on for a few months.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I'm having the exact same issue. Even had the clutch replaced in buffalo. It helps in many ways, but was going through blue beacon yesterday for a wash and Rupert was not having any of it. Same issues, no RPMs, Would lurch into gear for a second and go back to nuterial and continue til,I get into the wash bay. Turned the key off and restarted and that seemed to reset the computer. Tried that before with negative results.

No DID displayed messages, just some in the messages about communications errors in both the engine and possible the transmission.The truck ran fine for the rest of the trip here to talladega motor speedway. Kinda been going on for a few months.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

JC

Mind sharing how much the clutches being replaced cost you? Im just curious

Damn...sure am glad I have that old nasty Freedomline...at least it has the sense to break down IN the campground :D:lol::D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Mind sharing how much the clutches being replaced cost you? Im just curious

Got mine done at buffalo volvo. Very nice and helpfull group there. The mechanic is still helping me with my issues. And I paid around 5700.00 dollars. Like I said it helped I ways I didn't know we're there. I was loosing 10-15 miles an hour on hills. Went through TN hills yesterday and had none of those issues.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Got mine done at buffalo volvo. Very nice and helpfull group there. The mechanic is still helping me with my issues. And I paid around 5700.00 dollars. Like I said it helped I ways I didn't know we're there. I was loosing 10-15 miles an hour on hills. Went through TN hills yesterday and had none of those issues.

JC,

I was wondering........was the loss of 10-15 mph in the hills due to shift / power management issues .....or......was it due to clutch issues?

If the loss of speed was due to clutch issues it seems like one tough but really HOT clutch...........

Drive on..........(Be kind to the clutch........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Sorry to hear you had issues. Our transmission trouble last year was just a corroded wire connector near the battery. Hopefully your problem is as simple.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

JC

Sorry to hear about the problems. I have an I-Shift too.

Just out of curiosity, what did the Volvo dealer do for $5,700?

Thanks,

Jim

No more adventures on this trip! Ruby brought us back to Florida without any further acting up. Thanks everybody for the suggestions and bmzero appreciate your offer of help.

I dug into the codes and maybe the culprit is loss of air pressure. Besides the comm errors we're getting, we show a MID-130, PID-37, FMI-1, which translates to pressure below 72.5 PSI with symptoms including slow clutch performance. I know we have a fairly aggressive air leak in vicinity of transmission, so we'll start there and see where it takes us.

For now Ruby is parked for three months till next planned outing boondocking at the Tampa RV show. Got plenty of time to figure it out and probably a trip to get to know the Orlando Volvo shop.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

No more adventures on this trip! Ruby brought us back to Florida without any further acting up. Thanks everybody for the suggestions and bmzero appreciate your offer of help.

I dug into the codes and maybe the culprit is loss of air pressure. Besides the comm errors we're getting, we show a MID-130, PID-37, FMI-1, which translates to pressure below 72.5 PSI with symptoms including slow clutch performance. I know we have a fairly aggressive air leak in vicinity of transmission, so we'll start there and see where it takes us.

For now Ruby is parked for three months till next planned outing boondocking at the Tampa RV show. Got plenty of time to figure it out and probably a trip to get to know the Orlando Volvo shop.

Jim-

Glad Ruby got you guys home.

We'll be at the Tampa Show so hopefully we'll see you....we'll be boondocking in the front.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

No more adventures on this trip! which translates to pressure below 72.5 PSI with symptoms including slow clutch performance. I know we have a fairly aggressive air leak in vicinity of transmission, so we'll start there and see where it takes us.

Well, that will be a cheap fix all in all.....good to hear that.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Archived