Life expectancy of an 5th'r when used full time?

Storx

Sorry if I struck a nerve. My point was that in general engineering and design, pickup trucks are built to be sold for that purpose ie. to pick stuff up. A truck-tractor is designed to pull things. It is not complicated. Yes, there are a lot of uncomfortable riding semi's out there. That is why we have a Volvo instead of a freightliner. My son drove freightliners for 10 years over the road. Ask him which he prefers for comfort.

In terms of advertising, there are a lot of pictures out there with pickups being used to pull RVs. Since the late 1990s, however, the RVs being depicted in tow by them have ceased to be the one's that exceeded the technical specifications of the trucks. I also have seen pictures of pickup trucks towing freight train cars and horse trailers up boulder-strewn unimproved trails but I don't know of any horse owner that would put their animals through that kind of abuse.

Not starting a mine-is-better war, here. Just trying for some perspective. All vehicles will have problems but the more they are used outside of what they were designed for (and too-ofter, inside as well) the more likely they are to have more problems. Before we bought our F350 dually, I asked 3 guys that delivered RVs to dealers all over the country just how well they held up. All 3, delivering in very different parts of the US, said 40,000 to 60,000 miles was the typical mileage before the transmission had to be rebuilt. Delivering empty RVs was all that these trucks did. 2 were Fords (F350 and F550) and 1 was a Dodge 3500.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I'd say it's the HDT people who are using a vehicle to do something beyond it's purpose. That is, it's made to move 80,000 pounds of truck and payload down the road. Hauling a camper around was never in the mind of the engineers who designed it.

Does that mean it's a mistake to use it for that purpose. Not at all - no doubt it is equal to the task.

A big pickup is designed to move 30,000 pounds of truck and payload down the road.

If I'm going to drink 12 oz of coffee and you give it to me in a 42 oz cup, that cup will do just fine and may even have certain advantages (especially if I am spill prone). However, a 12 oz cup will also serve the purpose, but lack some of the "buffer" that the oversized cup will have.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Sorry if I struck a nerve. My point was that in general engineering and design, pickup trucks are built to be sold for that purpose ie. to pick stuff up. A truck-tractor is designed to pull things. It is not complicated. Yes, there are a lot of uncomfortable riding semi's out there. That is why we have a Volvo instead of a freightliner. My son drove freightliners for 10 years over the road. Ask him which he prefers for comfort.

In terms of advertising, there are a lot of pictures out there with pickups being used to pull RVs. Since the late 1990s, however, the RVs being depicted in tow by them have ceased to be the one's that exceeded the technical specifications of the trucks. I also have seen pictures of pickup trucks towing freight train cars and horse trailers up boulder-strewn unimproved trails but I don't know of any horse owner that would put their animals through that kind of abuse.

Not starting a mine-is-better war, here. Just trying for some perspective. All vehicles will have problems but the more they are used outside of what they were designed for (and too-ofter, inside as well) the more likely they are to have more problems. Before we bought our F350 dually, I asked 3 guys that delivered RVs to dealers all over the country just how well they held up. All 3, delivering in very different parts of the US, said 40,000 to 60,000 miles was the typical mileage before the transmission had to be rebuilt. Delivering empty RVs was all that these trucks did. 2 were Fords (F350 and F550) and 1 was a Dodge 3500.

Hi Budd

You did not strike a nerve, I just disagree with all of your reasons why I shouldn't use a pickup. The vast majority of people are fine with using their pickup successfully. The pickup owners are usually willing to say what they use but if you want something else that is fine too. Semi owners "tend" to say "this is the only thing you should have/use/drive. I do have friends who complain all the time about what needs to be fixed next on their semi so no vehicle or RV is perfect.

Maybe we can just agree to disagree and both go down the road "happy campers" with our rucks. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I have a lot more faith in Pickup manufactures weight ratings once they are certified to SAE J2807.

We are seeing some real improvements in light duty trucks with much improved running gear and frames.

The earlier claims were pretty much what the marketing department dreamed up. Not certified against any kind of standard.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/what-is-sae-j2807-what-does-it-mean-for-trucks-1593305929

This isn't intended to slam any particular group, just a comment that weight ratings are finally becoming fact-based which has to be better for everyone.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Designing and adding a "Ping Tank" set up would really make the back end of an HDT a lot softer. Then you'd have a ride like an MCI or PREVOST coach. Don't judge the "Smooth Ride" of the truck from the drivers seat. Try sitting on the rear frame rail and then tell everyone how smooth of a ride it is.

Its hard to find air bags with big enough inlet fittings for ping tanks to work properly. You don't get much effect from normal highway tractor air bags.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Its hard to find air bags with big enough inlet fittings for ping tanks to work properly. You don't get much effect from normal highway tractor air bags.

Geo

The air bag top plate can be modified easily with the proper "Know-How". I was going to do this to the Pete' if I continued to make it into a motorhome or toterhome.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

If you do it, I bet there are lots of us that would be fascinated to follow your build!!

Geo

Yeah, I bet.......................

However don't under estimate me Desolation. I own and operate a high end machine shop. Believe me I can and have fascinated many.

Pardon? I said exactly what I meant. The subject of ping tanks has come up every couple of years for the last ten years.

If you can make it work, more power to you, and I expect lots of people would follow your example.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Pardon? I said exactly what I meant. The subject of ping tanks has come up every couple of years for the last ten years.

If you can make it work, more power to you, and I expect lots of people would follow your example.

Geo

Sorry Geo.............I, by mistake, read that as a bit of sarcasm like gets thrown around a lot.

No problem. I think its a great idea that needs some engineering applied. Working ping tanks would be terrific!!

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

I think I am going a different route with big truck. If we pull the trigger, I plan on ordering a factory single rear axle de-rated to 20,000 pounds and have the suspension setup for the loaded weight of the hauler bed, smart car and trailer from the factory. That should give us a nice ride when combined with the air ride seats and cab and leave us a smaller vehicle to drive when we get somewhere. We can also use the truck for 1 or 2 day side trips and spend the night in the truck without too many issues. I am a firm believer in a air ride hitch and the new truck would have a senior ET from Henry in the bed. Our current little truck has a Trailer Saver and it works very well keeping everything in place on along days run.

I have a late model F350 and I don't feel comfortable driving around with 21,000 pounds behind me with that rig after using the FL. To each their own however as a LOT of people (including my wife 2 years ago) do not want a large truck, others (like me) prefer a larger one. The differences are what makes life interesting.....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The problem is the OP's question is a very hard one to answer. A New Horizon, Forks, Spacecraft, DRV or similar can fall apart in a few years if abused and a lower end model can last for many years. It all depends on how they are treated, maintained, the tow vehicle used, the roads you drive over, how often they are moved, the miles traveled per year... The list goes on. In general, the better full time, 4 season units will hold up longer than others but the biggest factor is the owner.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

If you go shopping at the big RV super-stores you will start notice that nearly all of the larger trailers are indeed 5th wheelers for many reasons.

Like any LARGE populations of mechanical items we tend to see a wide range of conditions ranging from........"better-than-new-cream-puffs" .....to......."how-did-that-wreck-make-it-to-the-lot" .........and all conditions in between.......

Over the years as the 5th wheelers have become LARGER and HEAVER and MORE COMPLEX.........the game of towing, driving, and upkeep has changed to a new and somewhat higher level.

As us geezers can tell you the world has changed a lot over the years and now folks talk about items like .....Transgender and the like a lot so recently my wife coined a term that she pasted on me............"Transtrucker".........you see I own and operate both a one-ton-pickup and a HDT tandem Freightliner to tow our RV(s).........

Like a lot of things in life .........RV'n can be simple or pretty complex.......we have it both ways it seems in that depending on a lot of factors we often need to ponder what truck and RV combo we will "compose" for our "next adventure"..........

Simple is the pickup / tiny camper adventure......

Complex is the pickup / camper/ car-trailer/ corvette/ Freightliner/ toyhauler/ removeable-horse-module-with-Dolly-the-Paint-horse/ one-tonof-hay-330 gal water-tote- and ...........horse tack and all the "RV-essentuals" for a winter in AZ or a summer in the Pac NW..........Whew!!

Good thing I am retired..........It would be against the law to toil this many hours at a paying job..........

Just checking tires is a chore.......Freightliner 11 tires, Toyhauler 6 tires, car-trailer 5 tires, pickup 5 tires, corvette 5 tires, Quad 4 tires ......whos counting......

Don't get me started on the boat(s).........

All kidding aside how long machinery lasts is in direct proportion to how often you operate it and how well you maintain and repair it.......design flaws are just the additional-spice-of-life.........,

It's not really fair to compare HDT's and HD pickups when yo get into the largest RV 5th wheel RV's because the Freightliner is towing at about 25% rated load and the HD pickup is likely at 90% to 115% rated load so guess which truck has most of the towing advantages........

Each truck type has both good and not-so-good points to ponder........

The one thing that most people tend not to consider regarding a HDT is that some car-drivers seem to not be able to see HDT's and as such feel that it is Ok to pull in front too close, switch lanes too close, and do really dumb things to heavy trucks because they expect CDL drivers to put up with anything to save their jobs.......... the really funny thing is that often those same "death-wish drivers" tend to give the pickup RV tower a bit more respect because they seem to "think" that the pickup likely needs more stopping distance ........maybe true or not so true.........

Obviously being a "Transtrucker" is not for everyone and sometimes I wonder myself ............but when I have 75 miles of twisty steep mountain roads and ice-cold brakes and a chattering Jake-brake keeping my speeds perfect ........,,towing is good.....

Drive on........(enjoy the ride.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

In any event, a tandem axle truck will always ride smoother than a single axle because the wheels crawl over humps and dips like a catepillar and they span potholes and other pits and bumps in the pavement. With a much lighter pin weight on them, the 4 airbags (instead of the 2 on a single axle) are not inflated as hard to keep the bed level. The tires can also be run a little less "hard" than if singled.

My tandem axle 770 with the smart bed still turns inside the radius of my former F350 4x4 dually. That is rarely the problem. Neither will be be parking in handicap zones or next to them in parking lots.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I hope the OP got his answer early on because this has gone way off-topic.

That's why I put in blue print that if the moderators felt this should become a separate post, to move it. But I do think he got his RV answer and he did question the replacement of our truck. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

If you go shopping at the big RV super-stores you will start notice that nearly all of the larger trailers are indeed 5th wheelers for many reasons.

Like any LARGE populations of mechanical items we tend to see a wide range of conditions ranging from........"better-than-new-cream-puffs" .....to......."how-did-that-wreck-make-it-to-the-lot" .........and all conditions in between.......

Over the years as the 5th wheelers have become LARGER and HEAVER and MORE COMPLEX.........the game of towing, driving, and upkeep has changed to a new and somewhat higher level.

As us geezers can tell you the world has changed a lot over the years and now folks talk about items like .....Transgender and the like a lot so recently my wife coined a term that she pasted on me............"Transtrucker".........you see I own and operate both a one-ton-pickup and a HDT tandem Freightliner to tow our RV(s).........

Like a lot of things in life .........RV'n can be simple or pretty complex.......we have it both ways it seems in that depending on a lot of factors we often need to ponder what truck and RV combo we will "compose" for our "next adventure"..........

Simple is the pickup / tiny camper adventure......

Complex is the pickup / camper/ car-trailer/ corvette/ Freightliner/ toyhauler/ removeable-horse-module-with-Dolly-the-Paint-horse/ one-tonof-hay-330 gal water-tote- and ...........horse tack and all the "RV-essentuals" for a winter in AZ or a summer in the Pac NW..........Whew!!

Good thing I am retired..........It would be against the law to toil this many hours at a paying job..........

Just checking tires is a chore.......Freightliner 11 tires, Toyhauler 6 tires, car-trailer 5 tires, pickup 5 tires, corvette 5 tires, Quad 4 tires ......whos counting......

Don't get me started on the boat(s).........

All kidding aside how long machinery lasts is in direct proportion to how often you operate it and how well you maintain and repair it.......design flaws are just the additional-spice-of-life.........,

It's not really fair to compare HDT's and HD pickups when yo get into the largest RV 5th wheel RV's because the Freightliner is towing at about 25% rated load and the HD pickup is likely at 90% to 115% rated load so guess which truck has most of the towing advantages........

Each truck type has both good and not-so-good points to ponder........

The one thing that most people tend not to consider regarding a HDT is that some car-drivers seem to not be able to see HDT's and as such feel that it is Ok to pull in front too close, switch lanes too close, and do really dumb things to heavy trucks because they expect CDL drivers to put up with anything to save their jobs.......... the really funny thing is that often those same "death-wish drivers" tend to give the pickup RV tower a bit more respect because they seem to "think" that the pickup likely needs more stopping distance ........maybe true or not so true.........

Obviously being a "Transtrucker" is not for everyone and sometimes I wonder myself ............but when I have 75 miles of twisty steep mountain roads and ice-cold brakes and a chattering Jake-brake keeping my speeds perfect ........,,towing is good.....

Drive on........(enjoy the ride.....)

I do hope that everyone out there does Drive on and enjoy the ride but we honestly have no problem "doing" long mountain roads as we have faith in our trucks exhaust brake and the brakes on our 5th wheel. I know it is not for everyone but we did pull our 38'Carriage on highway 1 {not 101} in CA with our 96 Dodge. We enjoyed it and made the trip just fine. Today, quite a few years later, I'm not sure we'd do it again but not because the truck can't handle the job but since we've "been there, done that", I don't have any interest in doing it hooked up and have enjoyed the highway in just our truck several times. I also like being in the pickup to golf, sightsee, go to the market, etc when we are not hooked up. We have friends where the spouse drives another vehicle as they tool down the road so they'll have a run around vehicle when parked.

To me RV'ing should be in whatever "floats your boat" as long as you maintain your vehicles. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying what has worked for us for 19 years & hopefully we'll be on the road for more years to come. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048

What happened to the OP's question???? The recent discussion has nothing to do with it!!

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Check posts 1-19.

The original question was answered pretty well, then the thread drifted as threads sometimes do. Its one of the things that keeps the forum interesting.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Archived