Max inverter/charger load for Honda 2000

KodiakJack

I seem to recall a post (somewhere cannot find it) that said that their Honda 2000 generator would not allow their inverter/charger to charge at its max rate without tripping off so they programed in a lower charge rate. Sound familiar? My Honda would handle our old 80 amp converter just fine if there wasnt too much other demand (forget it with the microwave) but now I am wondering if it will handle the 100 amp max output of my new Magnum inverter/charger? Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Most likely it will not. I usually set my Magnum to use no more than 10 amps for charging. If I set it to 15 there is not enough power if I am running anything else, like TV's etc. It will depend somewhat on how deeply the batteries are discharged, what the bulk charge voltage is set to, what other 120V loads you have, and what altitude you are at. All you can do it try it and see what happens.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Jack, excellent question, you ask for thoughts, here are mine

The thing is you can do the easy math which gives you the pure theoretical answer to what your genset can deliver HOWEVER its been my experience that's NOT necessarily the case. Without getting into Efficiency, heat losses, Power Factor and Watts versus Volt Amps, a 2000 Watt genset could be capable at 120 volts (at unity power factor into a resistive load) to deliver 2000/120 = 16.66 amps HOWEVER if you consider heat losses and any 80% max continuous ampacity rules and inefficiency and protection parameters, you can see where you may end up with the 13 amps Jim mentioned. 13 amps at 120 volts = 1560 Watts

Similar on your charger, if it can deliver 100 charging amps at say lets just use 14 volts bulk charge rate, that's 1400 watts (at 14.4 volts = 1440 ). HOWEVER due to heat losses and inefficiency the chargers required INPUT is higher then 1400 watts, lets just use say 1500 for a round number (depends on chargers efficiency of course) .

So you get the picture, your charger could draw 1500 watts while the gensets output may be (it depends on several factors) near that same number. Also an inductive load has a lousy Power Factor which makes matters worse and a pure resistive load at unity power 1 power factor is NOT the situation we have here.

Before anyone has a calf, remember actual charging voltage and efficiency and power factor and heat losses all contribute to the correct answer SO YOU CANT TAKE MY ROUGH GUESSES AND APPROXIMATIONS TO THE BANK.

Absent all the actual specs and loads and design and efficiency and loads and power factor MY ANSWER HAS TO BE TRY IT AND SEE.

THAT BEING SAID, IM AFRAID IT MAY BE CLOSE (I wouldn't bet much lol) IF A 2000 WATT GENSET IS SUPPLYING A 100 AMP CHARGER

John T Long retired and rust electrical engineer SO NO WARRANTY

Tried to run an IOTA 90a converter/charger with my Yamaha 2400w generator and it wouldn't do it. Went to a Xantrex 2000w inverter with a 100a charger and it runs it with ease. Power Factor correction seems to be the difference. Check the input amps on the charger vs the output of the generator and remember that a 2000w generator is really only 1600w running. The other 400w being for short time or surge starting of electric motors.

Rich

I set my Magnum to either 5 or 10 amps of available AC power when I am running off my Honda EU2000 generator. I use 10 amps to get the most charge I can without tripping the breaker on the generator and 5 amps when I know I will be running other things (like TV's, DVD player, etc) to leave a little head room on the generator output. If I set the Magnum to anything higher than 10 amps, it is pretty much guaranteed to trip the breaker on the generator. My charge output from the Magnum is still much higher than 10 amps because it is taking 10 amps of available AC and converting it to X amps (usually 10 times the AC amps, but not exactly due to losses) of DC to charge the batteries. Theoretically you could still get 100 amps of DC charge from a 10 amp AC source, but in the real world it won't happen because of the inherent losses when converting from AC to DC and heat loss and line loss and etc.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Took me a while to find where I could limit the AC amps on the remote's menu but I did. It will be quite simple in the field to adjust down to the recommended 5 or 10 amps to keep my Honda from tripping.

Thanks all, appreciate the great information.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I think the Magnum operates a little differently as long as you power your ENTIRE house load through it.

If you are plugged into a 15 amp circuit, set the magnum to 15 amps shore power.

Then turn on a high load like a microwave. You will see charge current drop back to almost nothing. Turn off the microwave, charge current ramps back up.

Set your Magnum to the total size of your shore power capacity. In the case of the Honda, 10 amps. Let the Magnum handle charger load shedding for you as required.

It works great.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Archived