Heading south first time!

RV Triking

Hi all... We will be heading south for the first time this year. I know this will be a basic question, but it is a very important one for the first time. We are in Ohio. Our trailer will be winterized and setting waiting for us to leave at the end of December. Freezing cold at that time in Ohio! So, the plan is to drive about 6 hours on our first leg, to put us around Knoxville, Tennessee, where we plan to de-winterize. According to the web, the average high there is about 47, and the low, 36. I realize that the weather can vary wildly, but does that seem to be a reasonable plan for de-weatherization? I am hearing conflicting opinions about this. Some say don't risk it, while others say it is nothing to worry about. We plan on stopping when heading back north and re-winterizing in approximately the same area. What do you guys/gals think?

camptrikeroll.jpg

Hmmmm, given the vagaries of Father Winter, maybe you could have a plan A and plan B. Raccoon Valley is the Escapees RV Park just north of Knoxville, if that might work for your Plan A stop. And if it is still too cold, simply wait until you get further south. I remember at the beginning of last year, loads of snowbirds were backed up waiting to fly north again but were delayed by weeks because of a crazy late winter/early spring. Be flexible, careful, and attentive, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

P.S. Nice trikes!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

We used to try to figure out where to un winterize. We figured out it wasn't worth the trouble. After a few years we just cleaned out every line we we got to our first long stay park. We carry 5 gallons of good water and refill them when we stop as needed. We have been in freezing weather in Dallas Tx, Austin Tx, Carlsbad NM, and even Tucson AZ last year. The only place we have been that hasn't had freeing weather is Phoenix Az.

We used to try to figure out where to un winterize. We figured out it wasn't worth the trouble. After a few years we just cleaned out every line when(spc) we got to our first long stay park. We carry 5 gallons of good water and refill them when we stop as needed. We have been in freezing weather in Dallas Tx, Austin Tx, Carlsbad NM, and even Tucson AZ last year. The only place we have been that hasn't had freeing weather is Phoenix Az.

X2 ... That's^ what I'd be doing

Goes around , comes around .

FWIW, we've been heading south from Alberta during March and April since the 1990's in both a fifth wheel and gas MH, and even camped in January in Alberta at Rocky Mountain house, as well as taking the RV for skiing to Lake Louise and Sunshine a few years back when physically fitter, and our winters are cold! We simply keep her winterised until we feel we've hit warm at that time enough climes, put extra antifreeze in the black and grey tanks so can use them on our travels. We carry enough 5 gallon waters on board, leaving the lines winterized. We haven't obviously showered on board until dewinterised, but have had very comfortable strip washes where needed, heating the water onboard with electric kettle or on stove with propane. Coming back North usually in April time, we've not had to rewinterize very often from being south, but when we have had to, we did around St George or Cedar City Utah and for our grey and black tanks, just emptied when staying in Alberta during the winters from skiing trips = never had any issues, as the lines/washer stayed winterised where needed to be.

Where there's a will there's always a way, and it really didn't feel too inconvenient for us for a few days here and there to have our lines remain winterized but still have the convenience of using our own toilet and washing in the sinks etc. We are with the Duke on trying to preplan where to dewinterize = depending on the year, and time hasn't always worked out to be right temperatures to do so, therefore play it by ear at the time of travelling back.

Enjoy your trip those trikes look awesome!

FTW.

FWIW, we've been heading south from Alberta during March and April since the 1990's in both a fifth wheel and gas MH, and even camped in January in Alberta at Rocky Mountain house, as well as taking the RV for skiing to Lake Louise and Sunshine a few years back when physically fitter, and our winters are cold! We simply keep her winterised until we feel we've hit warm at that time enough climes, put extra antifreeze in the black and grey tanks so can use them on our travels. We carry enough 5 gallon waters on board, leaving the lines winterized. We haven't obviously showered on board until dewinterised, but have had very comfortable strip washes where needed, heating the water onboard with electric kettle or on stove with propane. Coming back North usually in April time, we've not had to rewinterize very often from being south, but when we have had to, we did around St George or Cedar City Utah and for our grey and black tanks, just emptied when staying in Alberta during the winters from skiing trips = never had any issues, as the lines/washer stayed winterised where needed to be.

Where there's a will there's always a way, and it really didn't feel too inconvenient for us for a few days here and there to have our lines remain winterized but still have the convenience of using our own toilet and washing in the sinks etc. We are with the Duke on trying to preplan where to dewinterize = depending on the year, and time hasn't always worked out to be right temperatures to do so, therefore play it by ear at the time of travelling back.

Enjoy your trip those trikes look awesome!

FTW.

X2 Anti Freeze is used to flush and refill the sink P trap after washing in the sink. Carry on water used. as needed Don't Dewinterize if driving in or into freezing temps.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

With many RVs you can simply keep the furnace running once you add water, but from the picture, your trailer is an ultra-lite pretty close to the same as mine and if I'm correct about that your water lines may run below the floor in places and so are exposed to outside temperatures as would your waste tanks. As such I'd suggest you take the advice of post #6.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For a sponge bath--3 oz of water in the microwave for 30 seconds. Pour that onto a folded washcloth then use that to scrub the necessary areas of your body. It's amazing how well that works. Fresh deodorant and I'm ready for the day. I can get from Minnesota to Texas before I need to fill my fresh tank so I can take a shower and wash my hair. I have a dozen washcloths so I can go nearly two weeks before needing to find a laundromat but I can't wait that long between shampoos.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived