5th Wheel Md registration over 10k

rockfish2001

Called DMV today, and now I'm really confused. Class C license good for any combo up to 26k, but another person said a 5th wheel is a class G trailer, and needs a class A exempt license if over 10K. It seems that I can't get the same answer twice? Any Maryland 5th wheel owners over 10k, and did you have to get a class A exempt license. I want to get the correct license when I move to Md

Welcome to MD.... State of confusion! We have lived here 30 years and never have we been more confused about vehicle licensing as we were when we bought our 5th wheel in 2010. Seems like different day (or different person spoken to)...different answer. We got the run-around at every turn but due to the weight of our trailer ( 18,700lbs) and combo weight over 26,000lbs, we ended up with the Class A Non Commercial license.

So now for the first time, I see in writing the clarrification for the Class A , Non CDL license:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/apply/recreational-vehicle-info.htm

Hope this is of some help.

John

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

I have lived in MD my entire life. Although I already have the proper license (CDL A), the Class A or B depending on your weight/type of vehicle has been required here for a number of years, but as you said it is hard to find that answer depending on who you ask. The best information will be had by talking to the Commercial License section even though you won't need the "Commercial" part of the class A license.

Interesting, when I left Maryland in 2006, an exempt-CDL Class B could be used for any RV trailer. Their used to be a matrix table in the Driver's Handbook that was hard to understand that an RV trailer is a non-freight G trailer.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived