Internet for Canadians...anything new?

Hi folks....trying to figure out what my fellow Canadians are doing for internet access this winter. I am looking online and havent found much...most posts are 2 to 3 years old and that dont help.

Previous years we have used a t-mobile hotspot and if the coverage is there it works ok but there are places where there is no coverage. Maybe its improving...dunno for sure.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We have T-Mobile phones with international plan. Unlimited talk text and LTE data USA and in Canada. No more CND phones.

Works great while in Canada for us. On Bell and Rogers LTE During winter in south it's fine. Coverage is mostly good. Was best for both situations. We do have 5 g hot spots as well. $125 all in per month for both phones.

I looked at Verizon with Canada plan but no data in Canada and cost was more. Better coverage in USA but needed one phone for all year.

For data on other devices we have Verizon jet pack with 10 g plan. Put in suspension for summer. Only need it in winter.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

If you are Canadian and looking for an American Plan, then check out the Non-contract Phone Companies. I doubt that T-Mobile will Sell to a Canadian with a Canadian address.

So, Consumer Cellar maybe be a good option for you. As you can change your plan as you go.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

We have tried Consumer Cellular in the past, they wouldn't touch us as we had no U.S. Address. In the past we also used Verizon with a mifi for data and TracPhone for cell. Verizon was great Trac Phone was less than stellar.

This year we are going to give Roam Mobility a whirl, they are a Canadian company that uses T-Moblle so we will see. Some folks used it last year and were happy but they were in more high volume areas. You can use it with an unlocked iPhone by buying a sim card from Roam. We will see how it works in the fringe areas we travel in.

Bob

Bob & Karen Ritchie

Chase, BC when we are not RV'ing & chasing trains

'06 29.5 LKTG Hitch Hiker 2 LS

'07 GMC 2500HD Classic sb/srw

SKP# 96746

Yes you need a US address for T-Mobile I manage to make that work using a friends. All service is done online and auto pmt on our Canadian CC.

We tried pay as you go phones but had issues and only good in US new SIM card and number every fall when dormant for the summer. Also had to get another setup in Canada for summer. Real

pain and $$$

So far the new plan at T-Mobile works pretty good for us. A bit of a trade off of coverage at odd time but the best overall for us.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 1 month later...

Well, I just signed-up for the Snow-Bird option on Roam Mobility, using their SIM on an iPhone.

They promise it is user friendly as a hot-spot to wirelessly tether to a laptop.

The advantage is pricing right now, CDN dollars makes it nearly 30% cheaper than a US provider and no US address.

I'll report back in a month or so with an appraisal of the deal.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

Up-date on the Roammobility plan for Snowbirds: I have been using their offering now for 10 days.

The service on the eastern part of the country is fairly good, it is on the T-Mobile network, so as Billr mentioned it is reliable.

The 4G is set at 4Gig a month, and I am so far doing well with that allotment.

For $49.95 cdn a month, it is just fine.

Unlimited talk, text throughout North America.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Archived