Opinion on potential truck purchase

Stan Wright

I built a shelf at the end of the bunk for TV or micro, etc, and the porta potty fit nicely between the shifter and the passenger seat. It IS a snug fit to begin with, but can be done with a little ingenuity. We had full five channel surround sound, with a kickin' sub.

Yall really got thinking about this. That short a tractor would be ideal for me. Just wife and I.

Glenn,

I forgot to mention that my truck is a factory single. I have my Polaris RZR on the deck of the truck. I think that is the perfect size for one or two people. You ride in the truck and sleep in the trailer. I have also camped for a week using only the cab of the truck. I need to mention that I was by myself. I am re-doing the inside of the truck. That is a story for another time. The microwave for the truck is in the side compartment. If you need to use it, you have to be on the outside of the truck. Just an idea or too.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have a 430 as well. I have a Truck Fridge TF-36 under the bunk. It was the only fridge I could find to fit in the truck. My microwave, inverter and webasto heater all reside in the driver's side compartment. I was thinking about doing a shelf for the microwave at one end of the bunk using the mounts for the seatbelt and sleeper restraint as anchors. Some jurisdictions may require more items than that.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Well, it seems automatic trannys are rare in 420/430s. Least way I haven't found but very few.

I think 420/430s are not that common to start with. It took me a year and a half to find mine.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Well, it seems automatic trannys are rare in 420/430s. Least way I haven't found but very few.

Guess that's where I'm lucky. Asked my wife is she wanted a manual or auto. She told me did not matter, but the stick would be better. So if we find the right truck with a auto so be it. If not the manual will work just as good for us. We both have driven OTR and only use the clutch to start from a stop. Shoot if I can find the right truck. It will have a 18speed with 2.62 gears in the rear-end. Will allow me to run in 16th direct and run 60 MPH and get great MPG. And for those times you need to truck on down the road grab double OD and haul camper in the left lane..

The 2 430's yesterday had the super 10's. Only auto they had on the lot was a 670.

Pete

event.png

Hi Glenn - I believe 2 pedal Ultrashift and later Ultrashift Plus trans come with EGR/DPF and EGR/DPF/SCR trucks only. So 2 pedals and more complicated emissions systems go hand in hand...

In a low miles per year private RV truck - Me I would learn to drive a Fuller trans in an old simple turbo - simple electronic engine (DDEC, C12, M11, N14, D12) truck, or find an Allison truck, or swap in an Allison to an otherwise has everything I wanted truck.

Allison truck like this one: http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6435933

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The early Ultrashifts came out earlier than in Noteven's timeline, because it was during 2005, if I'm not mistaken, that Eaton made its move to enter into the supplier agreements with the OEMs that ultimately pushed the FreedomLine out of the market.

Ultrashifts will be extremely hard to find in a "non-emission" truck (no Cooled EGR or ACERT), but you'll find some in EPA04-powered trucks (CEGR but no DPF, in late '03 through most '07 model year trucks).

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

We have an ultrashift in our 2005 Freightliner which has EGR and no DPF.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived