Opinion on potential truck purchase

Stan Wright

I found this 1999 Volvo VNM 420 hauler. Single axle, hauler bed, Cummins M11 370/1450, manual trans, 637,000 miles.

Seller comments: front tires will need replacing, A/C needs freon, runs great. Used to pull a large boat.

I emailed him with more questions about leaks, noises, axle weights, gear ratiio, trans type, etc.

Pwew24gl.jpg

h1f8ksTl.jpg

U7UkdeIl.jpg

Anyone see any potential issuses? He's asking $10K.

Lots of potential issues but I would not hesitate a closer look. I have a 99 and if I didn't I'd be on my way to look at this one.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

I always look at that as Karma - it just was not meant to be yours, who knows why. I bow to the universe when that happens.

A couple of years ago I came across a really sweet early CJ5 at a ridiculously low price. Waited a couple of days before I went to look at it and he sold it 30 minutes before I got there! Who knows, maybe it would have killed me!

Keep looking, the right truck for you is out there.

"When the student is ready, the Master will appear."

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I always look at that as Karma - it just was not meant to be yours, who knows why. I bow to the universe when that happens.

A couple of years ago I came across a really sweet early CJ5 at a ridiculously low price. Waited a couple of days before I went to look at it and he sold it 30 minutes before I got there! Who knows, maybe it would have killed me!

Keep looking, the right truck for you is out there.

"When the student is ready, the Master will appear."

I agree completely. I found it by accident on Ebay. It spoke to me a little but there were still too many unanswered questions to bid or buy.

I don't believe you could register it as a motor home either. Lest I dont recall anyone successfully doing it.

That will vary greatly depending on what state he is in.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I can recall at least one 420 owner posting on this Forum, but I believe that it was registered as a private truck. The sleeper is so short on those that there's really no room to stow the "upgrades" that would qualify it as a motorhome.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

That will vary greatly depending on what state he is in.

The truck was in Missouri and I'm in Indiana.

I can recall at least one 420 owner posting on this Forum, but I believe that it was registered as a private truck. The sleeper is so short on those that there's really no room to stow the "upgrades" that would qualify it as a motorhome.

I like the looks of the 420/430 cabs but the consensus seems to be they are more difficult to convert to RV/motorhome specs. Had that one already been registered as non-commercial it would have been a big plus.

Curious, what was the requirements for rv. Don't think we could in Texas

Texas is easy. Just fill out the form listing the items that make it a MH. Include 1 photo of inside, 1 photo of outside and pay the title fees. I was in/out of the county tax office in no time flat.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Correct. In Texas they do not even inspect the truck so they are just taking your word that the work has actually been done.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Glenn, In Colorado any truck can be a RV. No modifications required. Even pickups can be a RV. The good thing is it substatially reduces the cost for registration to about equal to a MH and no CDL required. The bad thing is Colorado registrations are a little higher than many other states. Still if a shorter truck is desired a 420 might work if you can stuff the requirements into it. The other advantage of a shorter truck is a shorter wheel base and tighter turning radius. Some just like a bigger cab so it would seem to be a personal decision.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I had ruled out 420/430s due to not believing I could register as Motorhome. Gives me more search options!!!

Hi Glenn,

My truck is a 420. It was registered as a motorhome in Delaware at first. I live in Ohio. I bought the truck and had the title transferred from the Delaware motorhome title to an Ohio motorhome title. I was looking for a smaller truck then a 610/630. This size truck works for me.

Good luck in your search,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Curious, what was the requirements for rv. Don't think we could in Texas

Glenn, there have been many posts about what is required and necessary to register as a MH in Texas. I believe it is all still listed in the resource guide, along with links to the forms needed along with info the state puts out.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Haven't looked in a 420. Had wrote it off because I dont recall anyone who has one. Is there room for a fridge, microwave, etc so it would qualify.

Just enough room for the bunk behind the seats ,maybe a fridge/micro could be suspended some how ?

does not appeal to me

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Raise the bunk up and put the fridge microwave and porta potty under it or remove the passenger seat and put them there but your DW might not like that.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived