basement a/c #1 compressor not coming on

wildmandmc

My #2 compressor was not working once, I called a mobile tech, who removed the wiring panel and found a corroded wire. He replaced the wire and #2 ran normally. Also, you should have 2 separate breakers in your 120 breaker box, one for each compressor. Just because both are turned on doesn't mean they are working properly. This is where a VOM is required, as Kirk stated.

Homelesssharthorns: One compressor will draw 13A-including the fans, both running at the same time will draw 23/25A.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

And keep in mind the ambient temp MUST be at least TWO degrees above the set point before the thermostat calls for both compressors.

I didn't think mine was working properly last week as I only had about 10 degree differential temperature (return to supply). Got the multimeter and the manual out and started measuring and found number 2 was not being called for by the thermostat. Read the manual and discovered that is how it is supposed to work. When I set the thermostat for 4 degrees below ambient the supply temperature dropped to 20 degrees below return air.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

A coleman AC works this way, FOR cold, call for cold air, Pump #1 comes on, 30 seconds later pump #2 will come on.

Your generator is capable of running both AC compressors along with your inverter/charger in the charge mode.

So, I do not know why you were looking at your inv/chg current draw.

Both compressors draw about 13 to 15 amps if correctly charged with freon.

Placing the Fan in Manual mode and then placing the manual fan switch in low, only compressor #1 will come on.

On the AC control board are LED's for trouble_shooting. Manual is good here.

So, if you do not have a good meter along with a current clamp on meter, then you have to decide what you are going to do.

I would goto RvServiceReviews and look for a shop that someone have recommended on AC units.

Now if you go to Louisiana, I know of an excellent shop in the northern part that does good work on the Coleman units

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Just a shot in the dark. One of our's also quite working. It would try to start, but would't. I opened it up, opened the junction box. There were two capacitors in there that were melted down. Replaced them and it's been working fine. This is also dependent on how comfortable you are working in this area.

Lots of luck and keep smiling,

Mike

hey road, yes i had capacitors checked, even had new one put in to see if that helped. i even had a friend of mine check it out who is actually on coleman's list of local authorized repair person. . but now with new unit in. what a difference. hardly hear it running.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Can you tell me where you got your new unit? I assume you got a new basement unit? And idea what it cost?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

homeless, i got it from horner's rv in punta gorda florida. total was $3300. which included removal. , install an minor repair of duct work coming out of unit . aka the bend part of it. an that total includes tax.

This topic got my attention of course because I have basement air also. I am still confused about heat pump! If its not too chilly I can turn on what is called electric heat and basement air comes on and blows out cycling, sometimes. Other times it will come on and then after a short time go off and I notice the gas heat is on coming out of the floor. Sometimes I have seen both on at same time. I don't know if I have an issue or not but seems if I turn on the thermostat to Electric heat if would just be the heat pump only?????

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

According to the information from the people who installed my heat pump and then a gas furnace as back up. You can only increase the temperature of the heat pump by less than 4 degrees at a time. Any more than that it will want to use another source to bring the temperature to within the 4 degrees. When I asked why the only response is "that's what the factory say's it's doing" Was a big issue before I had the backup gas installed. Am hoping for some cold weather this winter in North Florida so i can really test out the heat pump. My previous winters were too far North and got too far below zero to really give it a good test. I'd like to see a week of Low 30's right around freezing. at night and maybe 40 for the high for the days.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

homeless, altho have not used the new unit, but when i used the old unit, an set the thermostat to heat, hot air come's out from floor, all the times i had to shut it off before it got to set temp as it worked too good. but that was in florida , an i think temp outside was prob 50.

but it worked just like when i lived back home in RI, an turn the heat on during winter.

Actually, the compressors do the same thing(compress vapor into liquid) whether you are cooling or heating the RV. There is a reversing valve in the system(atop the compressors) that changes the direction-of-flow of the refrigerant after leaving the compressor. When set to cooling the reversing valve directs the chilled refrigerant to the indoor coil where it chills indoor as it expands and absorbs heat, when set to heating the reversing valve directs the chilled refrigerant to the outside coil where it absorbs heat upon expansion. The simply switches the evaporator coil and condenser coil functions.

As to the 4 deg. differential set-point; I can and have many times ran the basement unit in heat pump mode when the inside temperature was 45-50* and I set the thermostat on 70, and the gas furnace does not come on. Now if the ambient temperature outside the coach is <40* the sensing unit in the Coleman unit detects it is not keeping up with heating the coach, then turns on the gas furnace.

An electric heating element is available, but these units do not come with it installed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived