driving smart up ramps

PEIFamily

I tried loading our smart today and not sure if I was babying the car too much or what, but started off at about 10ft from the ramps and got about the front tires about 6" from the truck bed before it lost its momentum and had to back down a few times.. I had it in FIRST, should I have it in Automatic instead? May end up going the winch route..

Thanks

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Definitely keep it in first. It is an auto trans, but in fact it has a rather delicate clutch according to all I have read.

I recommend the winch, makes it easier and safer. I have always winched up and driven off, for almost 10 years now. I did kill a 2,500 lb MileMarker winch early on and changed to an 8k Smittybilt.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We have been driving on and off for two years with very little problems, must have done it 30/40 times, will be at rally if you want to see it done. The smart in first gear will climb the ramp with no problem, have a great day..........

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

I must have been babying it too much then.

Mine would get near the top and it was done.. no choice but to back down.. I didn't want to get too much of a run on since I would be hitting the ramps hard..

Thanks

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I start with the tires & car lined correctly with ramp at the edge of ramp and drive up slowly with no problems. My smart has both manual & auto drive, not sure all are the same, do have a great day.........

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

I hook up the winch and also have the car in drive. I drive a little and then winch in the slack. It's still an uncomfortable feeling pointing straight up like your in a rocket. I tried to get my wife to do it but she won't have any part of it!

John & Mariann

2014 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB3

2004 Volvo 630 W/ smart car hauler bed

2015 Smart passion

The first time I drove up I let up on the gas half way - the clutch disengages and would not accept the load of a restart /re engage.

So now its slow but steady all the way, never let up on the throttle and she goes up everytime no problems .

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

PEI

Do you have a 450 Deisel ? It really lacks the umph to make it.

I winch up drive off. But we pick up an 2011 gasser in a few weeks. Sold the Deisel. Might try drive up to see how it goes.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Never have driven it up, either the '05 or the '11.

The '05 had the 700 cc Mercedes with a 6 spd, the '11 has the 1 L Mitsubishi and a 5 spd. It may be the 450 models (G&K gray market ones) with the 6 speed that had the delicate clutch. I just feel more comfortable winching up. Actually winched it off at first as well.

All of the US market 451s have the Mitsubishi engine w/ 5spd., the Merc turbo w/ 6spd. was never officially imported.

I would expect that the 1 liter 451 would have more torque from a dead stop than the 700cc turbos did.

Jambro - DW won't even watch me load or unload! LOL!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I have a 2012 Passion cabriolet and 15.5 foot ramps and I tried driving up ONCE....neither the car or I liked it. Now I winch up with my wife in the car [for emergency braking] and I drive down. That's just what I am comfortable with. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Thanks Guys!

Yes, I have a 450 diesel. That is likely what the issue was. I will pick up a winch for it then.

Thanks

Would be good choice

Bill

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Herrin put a 2000lb Warn winch on my truck which even a direct pull was plenty. Direct pull was very jerky so I put a marine pulley or snatch block on the cars back bumper, returned the non winch end back to the A frame and winch the car up backwards.

The most important thing for me is to get the car perpendicular to the truck. If it's not then it won't hit both chocks on the other side of the truck deck. Also lined up equally from side to side on the ramps. In my case there is 2.5" to spare on either side, then winch it up, engine running , trans in neutral.

The 450 weighs 2200 lbs, I ran it over the scales with me in it and I'm 175 lbs.

I drive mine down. Pucker factor is 2.5 on a scale of 5.

I have been driving on and backing off for about 4 years with no problem. Just line up the tire and as the fronts start up gun it a little and up she goes. I have a 451 and I have heard that the 450 has a weaker clutch. My wife has also driven it up the ramps once and said it was not bad.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi y'all!

We want to put our 2015 Smart on the utility long bed of our 3500HD Silverado. It will have to go across the bed just like the pictures you have of your Smarts on your tractors. It'll stick out a couple of inches on each side. :huh:

I like the sound of the winch. Someone said Harbor Freight. Does it have to be permanently mounted on the truck?

I'm not sure about putting the ramps under the Smart for travelling. There should be enough room at the back of the bed to strap them down.

What do you think?

Thanks for any advice you have.

post-53597-0-98679900-1444576528_thumb.jpg

Kathy

aka klesmiley

And would you be interested in a Smart Car Rally?

http://smartcarnationalsdeadwood.webs.com/

Dennis M

Remember the video of Red Dog driving his 450 up the ramps. That was when I decided ours was going up and coming down via a winch. For you modern day smart owners who do not know, Dennis M was the first to put a smart on the back of a HDT. Red Dog was number 2, Dave was number 3 and I was number 4. Those were the early years.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Hi y'all!

We want to put our 2015 Smart on the utility long bed of our 3500HD Silverado. It will have to go across the bed just like the pictures you have of your Smarts on your tractors. It'll stick out a couple of inches on each side. :huh:

I like the sound of the winch. Someone said Harbor Freight. Does it have to be permanently mounted on the truck?

I'm not sure about putting the ramps under the Smart for travelling. There should be enough room at the back of the bed to strap them down.

What do you think?

Thanks for any advice you have.

attachicon.gifEds truck 13Aug2015_2.jpg

Kathy

aka klesmiley

And would you be interested in a Smart Car Rally?

http://smartcarnationalsdeadwood.webs.com/

remember to allow for a upright arm with a pully on top ,thats to keep the wire from rubbing on the deck edge.A roller on the deck edge with a guide is a alternative .

winch is a really good idea if only for the time the smart has a mechanical issue.

woot woot

There are a few other considerations whether driving or winching.

1. You won't have air bags on the truck to lower the bed. Be sure that your ramps have the right matchup or you have short helper ramps at the foot to load/unload on level surfaces.
  2. Putting the Smart on/off an HDT does not make the HDT even jiggle a little bit (air bags down, sitting on frame stops. remember?) On a pickup, even a dually, the attitude of the pickup is going to be dynamically changing as the load shifts inboard/outboard. Don't know how much of a challenge this might be for whatever tethers the ramps to the bed during the process.
  3. My bed is 102" and my 2013 Smart hangs over "a few inches" on either end. I expect it will be a lot more obvious on a pickup, even a dually
  4. Plan for a way to always have solid STOPS in place. It is amazing, even winching, how wrong one's idea of "level" can be in the moment. Just because it strains at the cable going on does not mean when the winch stops, the car stops, too.

Just some things to think about.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

There are a few other considerations whether driving or winching.

1. You won't have air bags on the truck to lower the bed. Be sure that your ramps have the right matchup or you have short helper ramps at the foot to load/unload on level surfaces.
  2. Putting the Smart on/off an HDT does not make the HDT even jiggle a little bit (air bags down, sitting on frame stops. remember?) On a pickup, even a dually, the attitude of the pickup is going to be dynamically changing as the load shifts inboard/outboard. Don't know how much of a challenge this might be for whatever tethers the ramps to the bed during the process.
  3. My bed is 102" and my 2013 Smart hangs over "a few inches" on either end. I expect it will be a lot more obvious on a pickup, even a dually
  4. Plan for a way to always have solid STOPS in place. It is amazing, even winching, how wrong one's idea of "level" can be in the moment. Just because it strains at the cable going on does not mean when the winch stops, the car stops, too.

Just some things to think about.

Thank you hone eagle and Budd for your responses. Yes a lot to think about. The bed of the dually is 108" to the outside of the "pockets." We've trailered it before but the dually bed is so very much higher. We have until next June to decide how to do this. I presume the Smart Car Ramps will fit solidly on the bed or in the pockets. That's something for us to learn about. Nothing is cast in stone at this point! :unsure: I'll keep an eye on this topic to learn more about the ramps.

I got mine from discount ramps ,they are made to get smart cars up to the height of our decks ,they fold in half and are stored on the deck next to my smart.

They simply rest on the deck edge for loading ,the weight of the car keeps them from moving.

I attached small casters near the hinge to make them easier to move across the deck , then cargo straps secure them in place.

There are as many good ideas for storing them as there are trucks ,the one I like best is under the frame storage - least amount of lifting - they are heavy and awkward ,sadly my configuration will not accommodate under frame storage.

woot woot

Archived