Sayin' NO to a Campground

pjcurry

Recently we wanted to visit Gettysburg - haven't been there in years and thought a week or so in the area would be a good time, and educational as well. When contacting campgrounds we got a rude awakening - to make reservations you put down a "deposit" of the full amount due. Yep, if you want to stay for 7 days your "deposit" is to pay for the full 7 days. The real kicker is that if you cancel for any reason - even something beyond your control - you forfeit the entire "deposit." According to one receptionist RV breakdowns, serious illness, program cancellations and similar problems make no difference - you lose the full amount. According to this lady recently a major event was cancelled by the organizers due to weather - all the people who had paid up front lost everything they put down even though they had nothing to do with the cancellation. If there's a death in the family the issue gets sent to the park manager, who will make a determination. The parks all seem to have the same policy - we called about 5 parks and got the same answer. (one park did only ask for a $150 deposit.) As much as we wanted to see Gettysburg I wasn't going to submit to this kind of thievery. We just said no. I'm in favor of capitalism, but since they can re-rent the spaces and make double income this amounts to pure greed.

Stay a bit farther from the site and drive back and forth. The cancellation policy is not acceptable to me.

Last year we had a engine failure and had to cancel 4 campground reservations. When I told them the situation and we were being put on hold for 3 weeks, and cutting out trip after that, two refunded the deposit and two wanted the one night rate.

Ken

I just checked, Drummer Boy, a Gettysburg park we have stayed at several times. Yes, they do require a 100% deposit (which is not uncommon these days) but they do provide a refund less a $25 processing fee if the reservation is cancelled at least 21 days in advance. If it is cancelled less than 21 days but more than 7, a "raincheck" for the amount less $10 will be provided. For cancellations less than 7 days in advance, no refund or raincheck is provided.

Although this is still a severe cancellation policy it is definitely not as severe as the OP described. Gettysburg is a popular tourist destination with a limited number of RV parks. I assume that parks can only establish such policies if their customers are willing to put up with them. You may choose not to patronize a park, but others apparently will.

Which parks are you speaking of? We've stayed before and just did at a Newmar rally at Gettysburg RV park... Doesn't sound fair and we would never agree to it and probably would dispute any charges like it. If you can, post a review explaining it so others will know.

We stayed at Gettysburg Battlefield Park under Coast-2-Coast. For places like Gettysburg, we've found that if a membership park is nearby that's what we use. Never have had a problem if we have to change reservation. If you were going between Memorial Day and Labor Day, you must realize that all of the parks are full and really don't care whether you come or not. And the best thing you can do is let your $$$ walk to somewhere where they want you to come.

Barb

It is not just a matter of "did they fill the spot that night" if you cancel. Campgrounds allocate sites based on rig characteristics....size mainly. While the campground might not be full that night, they may have lost revenue on your individual site.

Taking the entire stay fee does seem excessive and I would not reserve there either, if I had a choice. Typically it is one nights fee if you cancel within 48 hours. That is often the case and seems more the norm.

Pat(rick), I don't blame you. I would tell them to go pound sand! Depending on your needs, Caledonia State Park is just east of G-burg off US 30. Also Pine Grove Furnace State Park is northeast of G-burg and is also an easy drive. I do like the middle of the week deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived