Inverter or Converter, Both?

Teton typically did not use that method. They usually installed a stand alone 12V fuse box that was not integral to anything else. The same is true of the 120V breaker box. The converter would be mounted separately somewhere.

Good to know. Thanks!

From the factory, what do they typically install to charge the batteries then? Just curious.

Of course, Teton has been out of business for several years, but thet installed an inverter, converter or both. They just didn't use the typical electrical distribution system you see in many rigs. For 12V they installed a metal box with several fuse blocks and circuit breakers as needed inside. It was typically located in the large storage compartment behind the large sliding doors Most other electrical equipment was in the same place, like transfer switches. The 120V breaker panel was often installed in a compartment in the toilet area.

I'm not certain where they installed the converter, but they installed inverters in a rack that was mounted to the top of the storage compartment area.

It probably varied some and from year to year, but that's how mine is set up, as well as all the other Teton's I have looked at.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

If I can throw in my 2 cents worth on this as your fiver is the same year as my Bighorn was. My Bighorn had a very simple converter with a charge wizard built in. I believe it was 45 amp if memory serves. This is ample to supply your 12 volt circuits as well as charging your batteries. and they are not very expensive...mine was a progressive industries converter and with the optional charge wizard it gives you good 3 stage charging.

Personally I would not spend a bunch of money on an inverter charger unless you plan on boondocking a lot. if you only boondock once in a while firing up a portable gen wold be a lot more cost effective. I spent a bunch of money on a separate pure sine wave 2000 watt inverter and ended up having maybe 2 hrs on it when we sold the fiver. it wasnt worth it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

My wife and I sat down last night and talked about our needs, supplemented by the wise words of you folks. We decided I was an idiot to have ordered the inverter and accessories. Whoops..

What we've come up with is that the wisest and most cost effective thing to do would be get a decent converter, so we can run everything 12V off of that. And have a 2000 or 3000 watt honda generator for emergencies. The reasoning being, as mentioned by someone before, that the house batteries would only last so long in the event of a power outage. Whereas a generator keeps going as long as you have gas.

I'm posting my shame publicly so that someone may learn from my naive mistakes. <_<

In summary: Before you buy such a high cost item, make sure you need it, and fully understand what it will do and will not do for you. And finally, no matter how set you are in your mind about getting something, listen to the reason of those who have been down this road before you! It will save many headaches!

2005 Teton Royal Scottsdale XT4 (Sticker says 40ft, I measure 45ft, inside..???)

Wise decision....progressive dynamics makes a few kits one of which might just fit into your existing 12 volt distribution panel. Try to get the make and model of your distribution center and then visit their website. Their kit comes with great instructions if you want to install it yourself.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Thanks for the links guys, I've got a line out to the best converters folks, a technician should be calling me shortly.

Jim, I'll look into those progressive dynamics ones as well.

I'll see if I can figure out the make and model of that panel. As far as I know it's not in my owners manual.

As far as "fitting into my existing panel" goes, I'm a bit confused, I was thinking this would be a pretty straightforward hookup of 4 or 5 wires to the specific(existing ) places they need to go.

2005 Teton Royal Scottsdale XT4 (Sticker says 40ft, I measure 45ft, inside..???)

Well in my travel trailer the converter was in my distribution panel.

However in my fifth wheel it was a stand alone device ( still made by progressive) with the charge wizard. It was plugged into a dedicated circuit wall receptacle in my cargo area and was wired directly to my batteries through a fuse. Very simple and effective. This might be the way to do yours as well.

If you have a manual of your fiver with a diagram of the wiring....try to post it on this site. We will be able to tell you from that how to do it. Providing of course the previous owner didnt do any major changes.

I've already explained above that Teton did not use the distribution panel with converter that many people are familiar with. It is a custom design with a separate stand alone 12V distribution panel. It won't be a big deal to install for anyone with RV electrical knowledge. It is located in the utility area behind the sliding doors in the basement.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Thanks Rif, that confirms what I was already thinking about the install. Should be no problem at all.

On a related note... I will soon have a package deal of a MS2812, ME-RC50, and ME-BMK (inverter, remote control panel, and battery monitoring kit) for sale in the RV Accessories section... <_<

Thanks Rif, that confirms what I was already thinking about the install. Should be no problem at all.

On a related note... I will soon have a package deal of a MS2812, ME-RC50, and ME-BMK (inverter, remote control panel, and battery monitoring kit) for sale in the RV Accessories section... <_<

If you can't send it back for a refund, you won't have 'any' problem getting your money back out of that. You got a 'really' good price and I'll certainly pass the offer along as soon as it posts. If you and your better half have any druthers to hit Quartzsite this winter, I don't imagine it would take more than a day to pass it along for a little extra change in your pocket.

As others posted.. The Progressive converters with a charge wizard is really the way to go. Installation shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes once you decide where to shtick it. Highly reliable and great tech support if needed.

Here late but FWIW if you have an older what I call a Combination Converter/Charger I see no need to toss it out. If your new Inverter/Charger ever failed it would be setting there for a backup to provide approximately 13.4 to 13.6 VDC (depends on make and model and its specs) to power your 12 Volt appliances plus provide some degree of battery charging albeit maybe not as "smart" and/or well regulated like a modern day 3 or 4 stage device. For normal charging I would use a so called "smart" 3/4 stage progressive smart charger such as a Magnum or other quality brand and probably wouldn't use any older less regulated less progressive staged Converter/Charger unless you had a need to provide more amps and quick Bulk or Absorption charging into your battery bank if it were low and you needed to bring it up rapidly. I have both a Converter/Charger plus a 'Smart" 3/4 Stage Charger (I own a Xantrex and Progressive Dynamics) and a PSW Inverter but I never use the Converter Charge under normal circumstances. Without being there I cant diagnose your panel or sub panel and its wiring configuration but an inspection will easily reveal the configuration. Just maintain single point grounding using proper transfer methods and you will be fine.

PS The above analysis is if you buy an Inverter/Charger and NOT only an Inverter. If you buy an Inverter and are left ONLY with your old Converter/Charger and its NOT Smart 3/4 stage technology, Id add a smart charger (can still keep old Converter as I discussed) or consider swapping out the old converter for a Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard as my buddy did keeping his DC distribution all in place.

PS Yarome states "The Progressive converters with a charge wizard is really the way to go. Installation shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes once you decide where to shtick it. Highly reliable and great tech support if needed"

I have to agree, my buddy replaced his older DUMB Converter/Charger with a modern Progressive Dynamics Smart 3/4 Stage Charger with charge wizard (USES HIS EXISTING dc DISTRIBUTION PANEL) and is well satisfied. Likewise I have a stand alone PD 9200 Series Smart Progressive 4 Stage (Bulk Charges at 14.4 Volts, Absorption Charge at 13.6 Volts, Float Charges at 13.2 Volts and, Equalize) which works GREAT.

John T Live from Bishop California headed to Kings Canyon and Sequoia after Yosemite

Yarome, we spent a week in Yosemite where all of our kids drove or flew in to visit now were headed to Kings Canyon and Sequoia before visiting son and his fiancé in San Diego. Been out like 3/4 weeks and only 1 night with electricity, AINT SOLAR AND BATTERIES GREAT...........

John T

... where all of our kids drove or flew in to visit now were headed to Kings Canyon and Sequoia before visiting son and his fiancé in San Diego. Been out like 3/4 weeks and only 1 night with electricity, AINT SOLAR AND BATTERIES GREAT...........

It doesn't get much sweeter than that. Pretty much epic.

Sure. Now that we got your controller fixededed. :P

Archived