DVR/Hard Drive for Dish Network

I gave some back in # 18 http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120108#entry804352

The first one there (and below) is working on 612, 622 and 722 Dish DVRs here with no issues, no 211 here to test it on though.

http://smile.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B0041OSQBG

It says USB 3 but works just fine with the DVR's USB 2 connection.

WD My Book 2TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 File Backup and Storage

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I tried a 256G thumb drive in my 211k. It formatted for 4+ hours, I gave up and pulled the plug. When I put the thumb back in the laptop it only would format about 115 Mb ! I did a low level format and it reclaimed all the lost storage. Now, if I had let it format long enough to finish would it work.....I don't know.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

They do state "no flash memory" on the device page.

https://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/expand-dvr-storage

COMPATIBLE HARD DRIVES

While most major manufacturers' external hard drives are compatible, keep in mind the following guidelines when purchasing an external hard drive:
When using an external hard drive with a ViP 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922, or Hopper, the drive should be no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
When using an external hard drive with a ViP 211, 211k, 211z or DISH 411, the drive should be no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
The external hard drive must have its own power supply
The external hard drive must support USB 2.0
The external hard drive must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive

Ya, I know they say no flash, but they also say max of 2Tb don't they ?

I've read about some folks using larger drives, but they still only formatted to 2TB, so a bit of a waste.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

A known working combination (because it's what we're watching right now): VIP211Z receiver, Pathway X2 automatic antenna (carry-out type with larger reflector and can use both satellite arcs), portable 500GB USB hard drive (powered by the VIP211Z receiver). Considering the fact that Comcast used to put 60 and 80 GB hard drives in their DVRs, 500 GB is a lot. I've never come close to filling it up. Unlike the cable-based setup in our stix 'n brix, it will only record one program at a time and, if it's recording, we have to watch the channel it's recording (or switch to off-the-air with the antenna). This is because the VIP211 receivers are single-tuner receivers. We can watch a previously recorded program while another is recording.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I haven't tried pushing the 2 TB limit, I did try pushing it on earlier releases with no luck. Drive options on embedded systems face a lot of limits you don't encounter on a laptop or desktop so you can't really expect things that aren't promised to work to actually work.

I am cheap (or so I am told) so I switched to a Hopper and have never looked back. Best entertainment decision I have ever made.

I ran a 211k with a 500 gb seagate ext pocket drive on a powered hub for a long time and it worked fine. more than once I had to delete recordings because I was close to running out of space.

The Hopper comes with 2TB and I maxed it in less than a year. Due to a known problem that happens when it gets too full, the Hopper froze up and would not boot. The one I replaced it with early this year, is at 50% full at the moment and Cinemax / HBO are running a free preview this weekend 10/16 - 10/19 so I will be adding a lot of stuff for reserve viewing later. That could eat up a few GBytes.

The biggest problem I had with the ext hd on the 211k was power problems on the powered USB hub. It was causing the DVR to think the ext HD had been unplugged and immediately reboot the DVR without it and I would have to go and reinitiate it, again.

I replaced the powered USB hub and never had any more problems with it. I have both the DVR and the usb hub on a UPS, though because it does not take much of a power glitch to the hub for the 211k to kick it offline.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Something to think about if you are going to be trusting your movies and shows to the internal drive, if it dies and is swapped out your stuff is gone. We have gone through a fair number of receivers over the years and lost the internal contents on every swap. None of our external drives has had an issue, even the older smaller ones we upgraded are still in use for other purposes.

Have had a

WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Auto Backup, Red

attached to our 211z for 2 summers now a total of about 10 mpnths. I works perfectly and dose not need an external power supply.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAS8M0S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

2006 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL w/ Mor/Ryde IS Suspension and Hydraulic Brakes

2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD w/B&W turnover hitch and Companion

Archived